St. John's 1L taking Q's

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
onthemoney

St. John's 1L taking Q's

Postby onthemoney » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:33 am

Just finished finals... thought I'd give back to the TLS community.

Sorry. This should go in the "discuss your law," but don't know how to switch this thing...

cowgirl_bebop

Re: St. John's 1L taking Q's

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:43 am

I just got into St. John's and I really want to go. My sister goes to SJU for undergrad and my family (who all live in NYC) is really pushing me to go there as well. I think the only thing that is bothering me is the job prospects. I hear SJU is near the bottom of the totem pole as far as jobs in the NYC market go and that the degree does not transfer well to other markets. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, what made you pick SJU over other schools?

onthemoney

Postby onthemoney » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:18 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:I just got into St. John's and I really want to go. My sister goes to SJU for undergrad and my family (who all live in NYC) is really pushing me to go there as well. I think the only thing that is bothering me is the job prospects. I hear SJU is near the bottom of the totem pole as far as jobs in the NYC market go and that the degree does not transfer well to other markets. What are your thoughts on this?

As far as job prospects go, it seems that again, OCI was pretty bad. In terms of its peer schools, (Cardozo, Brooklyn, Seton Hall, Hofstra), I'd say that St. John's has an on par, if not the best, alumni network for NYC. However, I have yet find out of that if that translates in to anything; I'm just past my first semester. Outside of T14 schools, hardly any school transfers well outside their market, so I don't think St. John's is any different.

For me, the choice came down to location and (scholarship) money.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:36 pm

onthemoney wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:I just got into St. John's and I really want to go. My sister goes to SJU for undergrad and my family (who all live in NYC) is really pushing me to go there as well. I think the only thing that is bothering me is the job prospects. I hear SJU is near the bottom of the totem pole as far as jobs in the NYC market go and that the degree does not transfer well to other markets. What are your thoughts on this?

As far as job prospects go, it seems that again, OCI was pretty bad. In terms of its peer schools, (Cardozo, Brooklyn, Seton Hall, Hofstra), I'd say that St. John's has an on par, if not the best, alumni network for NYC. However, I have yet find out of that if that translates in to anything; I'm just past my first semester. Outside of T14 schools, hardly any school transfers well outside their market, so I don't think St. John's is any different.

Ok. Otherwise how do you like the school as a whole? Im curious as to how you feel about your section and the professors.

Also, did you live on or off-campus?

onthemoney

Postby onthemoney » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:41 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
onthemoney wrote:

Ok. Otherwise how do you like the school as a whole? Im curious as to how you feel about your section and the professors.

Also, did you live on or off-campus?

Overall, the school's a real friendly place. I find that people to be very helpful to each other (notes, outlines, etc,) from in my section and beyond. Also, I found the professors to be overall very generous with the amount of time outside class they'll spend with you, and are usually clear about what they expect from you.

I live off campus.

Greenz

Postby Greenz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:31 pm

You live by yourself or did you get a roomate?

onthemoney

Postby onthemoney » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Greenz wrote:You live by yourself or did you get a roomate?

I have a roommate, a friend from undergrad.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:02 pm

How is the student life? Are there any clubs, intramural sports, activities, etc.?

onthemoney

Postby onthemoney » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:01 pm

fakemoney wrote:How is the student life? Are there any clubs, intramural sports, activities, etc.?

The school does spice it up a little bit with Fallfest (carnival, etc.), Thanksgiving party, Halloween party, Orientation parties. There are a lot clubs (legal groups) to join. Besides for a an annual baseball game with faculty (I think, I did not attend), there are no intramural sports that I'm aware of.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”