Undergrad at an online college and high LSAT. Chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
StevenC

Undergrad at an online college and high LSAT. Chances?

Postby StevenC » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi all!

I am going to be graduating in the spring of 2011 with my BA in Business from Western Govenors University. This is an online school that instead of using letter grades, utilize a competency based program wherein which you can test out of courses once you have gained sufficient instruction. Because a letter grade is not received, there is no GPA on my transcripts. It does say on the reverse of the transcript that it could be interpreted as a 3.0. I scored a 175 on the LSAT but am really worried about the GPA aspect as it is low for law school standards, but it isn't because I didn't do well during my undergrad program.

In fact, I was able to finish 4 years of coursework in 1 and 1/2 years.

Do you think that:

1) Law schools might be able to look past the default 3.0 GPA due to the fact that it does not truly reflect my overall academic performance during my undergrad.

and

2) If law schools viewed my application as a 3.0/175, do I have a chance at T14 even above a Tier 3 school?

Thanks!

Kobe_Teeth

Re: Undergrad at an online college and high LSAT. Chances?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:00 pm

People have done it in the past. If you search lawschoolnumbers.com there are people who have gone t-14 from U of Phoenix.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:24 pm

StevenC wrote:
2) If law schools viewed my application as a 3.0/175, do I have a chance at T14 even above a Tier 3 school?

Thanks!

Definitely. I know some of the T14 will be hard, but T30 for sure will let you in, with money.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:24 pm

Age may be a factor if you are below 20 years old. Otherwise your LSAT score will open most law school doors for you.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:29 pm

I don't know of any other instances like this and I guess the closest situation to you would be foreign transcripts that lack grades. Because of that, you don't know whether they will ignore your transcripts entirely (because might not have to report the GPA at all and thus only your LSAT will affect their median) or whether they will look at you as a 3.0. Additionally, the online degree stigma may hurt your application.

I say apply broadly. I would say from Harvard through the rest of the T14, and some T20/30's that interest you as safeties or for good schollies. Maybe they will just see your LSAT, maybe they will see a 3.0, I don't think we can really say for sure so it feels best to hedge your bets and apply as wide as you can.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:30 pm

bk1 wrote:I don't know of any other instances like this and I guess the closest situation to you would be foreign transcripts that lack grades. Because of that, you don't know whether they will ignore your transcripts entirely (because might not have to report the GPA at all and thus only your LSAT will affect their median) or whether they will look at you as a 3.0. Additionally, the online degree stigma may hurt your application.

I say apply broadly. I would say from Harvard through the rest of the T14, and some T20/30's that interest you as safeties or for good schollies. Maybe they will just see your LSAT, maybe they will see a 3.0, I don't think we can really say for sure so it feels best to hedge your bets and apply as wide as you can.

...especially since that LSAT is bound to bring in the fee waivers.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:42 pm

I should probably have done this instead :shock:

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:43 pm

I also think this is a case where a GPA addendum would actually be helpful.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Perhaps you could also talk to some adcomm's about how your undergrad degree will be seen?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:51 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I also think this is a case where a GPA addendum would actually be helpful.

100% agreed.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:13 pm

I'll play devil's advocate here and say this could have some rather negative consequences on how your application is viewed.

Adcoms may look at your application and think to themselves... this person never saw the inside of a college lecture hall, and has only interacted with other students online. How will they fare at our law school?

Unanswered questions can be bad. I would imagine yours is a situation where softs would play a large role. Although some schools may just take the LSAT and not care.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:15 pm

There is someone at UIUC who went to University of Phoenix.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:I should probably have done this instead :shock:

I don't know. I'm not a huge prestige whore, but it'd be pretty lulzy to read:

"J.D. Columbia University"
"B.A. University of Phoenix"

On a biography, lol.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:18 pm

ahduth wrote:I'll play devil's advocate here and say this could have some rather negative consequences on how your application is viewed.

Adcoms may look at your application and think to themselves... this person never saw the inside of a college lecture hall, and has only interacted with other students online. How will they fare at our law school?

Unanswered questions can be bad. I would imagine yours is a situation where softs would play a large role. Although some schools may just take the LSAT and not care.

I think this will depend on how the schools view their own law programs academically. The ones (top ones) that are proud of their academic vigor, prestige., scholarship and reputation may not view online degrees favorably. I do remember reading some top ranked colleges (UG) that won't accept online classes for transfer credits.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:21 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:

On a biography, lol.

I think the Columbia will trump the BA. I'd probably just not put on there lol

TBF I don't think my UG is too much more fitting on a resume than UoP in comparison to my future JD. If I could have saved more money and time, I would have seriously considered it. Not having GPA is not good though since my GPA would sink a couple of points.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:17 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:

On a biography, lol.

U of P does have a pretty legit on-campus student body.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:32 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:

On a biography, lol.

U of P does have a pretty legit on-campus student body.

With a current enrollment of 420,700 undergraduates, 78,00 graduate students, over 200 campuses, over 100 available degrees, and an open enrollment (aka anyone can enter as long as you have a high school diploma/GED) - I sure would hope so.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:34 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:With a current enrollment of 420,700 undergraduates, 78,00 graduate students, over 200 campuses, over 100 available degrees, and an open enrollment (aka anyone can enter as long as you have a high school diploma/GED) - I sure would hope so.

I resent the GED comment, bear.

ETA: actually, brownie! :lol:

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:With a current enrollment of 420,700 undergraduates, 78,00 graduate students, over 200 campuses, over 100 available degrees, and an open enrollment (aka anyone can enter as long as you have a high school diploma/GED) - I sure would hope so.

It's not meant to be offensive, it's their modified definition of open enrollment (via Wikipedia obviously.)
Quote: "University of Phoenix has an open enrollment admission policy other than requiring a high-school diploma, GED, or its equivalent."

Edit: It was actually at attempt to place more emphasis on the sheer size of enrollment, more so than the requirements.

Edit's Edit: It's Bruno!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:44 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

It's not meant to be offensive, it's their modified definition of open enrollment (via Wikipedia obviously.)
Quote: "University of Phoenix has an open enrollment admission policy other than requiring a high-school diploma, GED, or its equivalent."

Edit: It was actually at attempt to place more emphasis on the sheer size of enrollment, more so than the requirements.

Edit's Edit: It's Bruno!

OMG why do you all of a sudden take me seriously???

I think UoP's problems - from my perspective - are:
1. for profit
2. grade inflation - yes this works for Ivies but not so much here
3. you can pay for credits - they make the evaluation process too easy, I was turned off by it when I read how easy it is to get credits
4. the brick and mortar school is not marketed well so people think online first. Penn State has a completely online program too, people aren't likely to view it the same way as UoP.

There are a few colleges around here that charges $30k+ with 100% acceptance rates. But since they have cool names, nice crests, and a campus, people take them seriously.

Anyway, we like to make fun of the lack of creativity in the mascot and color selection process of your lovely university. And do they all have to start with B?

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:Anyway, we like to make fun of the lack of creativity in the mascot and color selection process of your lovely university. And do they all have to start with B?

The Ivy League is incredibly unoriginal when it comes to that sort of thing.

Princeton Tigers
Columbia Lions
Brown Bears (Brown is a last name btw)
Yale Elis (fancy name for a bulldog I guess? Leave it to the Yale kids. Edit: It's actually named after a benefactor.)
Harvard Crimson
Dartmouth Big Green
Penn Quakers
Cornell Big Red (Bear. But it's barely ever used. In fact, I had to Google it.)

Lions, Tigers, and Bears. Oh mai.

Oh, and some colors too.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Well I am glad I don't have to call myself an animal or a color :D

I surveyed some people who don't know Brown, 100% of them guessed bears. That is just aweful lol

</theadJack>

adt231

Postby adt231 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:47 pm

it's better than the NYU violets...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:56 pm

adt231 wrote:it's better than the NYU violets...

Why does NYU even have a mascot???

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”