Got an email from Gtown inviting me to an interview. BUT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
peterb0y

Got an email from Gtown inviting me to an interview. BUT

Postby peterb0y » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:11 pm

I don't want to do an interview, I feel like it could only hurt my chances. How do I respecfully decline?

Heres the email:
Thank you for applying for admission to Georgetown University Law Center! Based on the strength of your application, the Admissions Committee would like to invite you to interview with one of our alumni. The interview program at Georgetown Law will assist the Admissions Committee in assessing certain personal factors relevant to the admissions decision and provide you with an opportunity to speak with a Georgetown alumni representative to learn more about Georgetown Law.

Since we realize that individual factors such as finances or timing may prohibit you from being able to participate, interviews are optional and non-participation will not negatively impact your application. Please reply to this e-mail as soon as possible to let us know whether you would like to be interviewed. If you do wish to be interviewed, we will match you with one of our alumni in your area who will then contact you to schedule an interview. (If you do not live near an interviewer, we will attempt to match you with an alumnus or alumna for a phone or Skype interview.) Our records indicate that you are currently in ______. If this is incorrect, please let us know so that we may match you to an interviewer in your area.

Please note that this process may take several weeks. Please find attached some of the frequently asked questions regarding the interview process. Please be patient in waiting for an alumnus/a to contact you. You should also make arrangements at that time to e-mail, fax or send a copy of your resume to your interviewer. If you do not wish to be interviewed, we will proceed with our review of your application. If you have questions, a member of our staff will get back to you shortly. If not, the next person to contact you will be an alumnus/a.

What should I reply??

ajcollege

Re: Got an email from Gtown inviting me to an interview. BUT

Postby ajcollege » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:19 pm

If you feel that talking about yourself and making an argument as to why you will be successful in law school will hurt your chances of admission, you may want to consider an alternative career.

At the very least, the interview isn't something you can decline and still expect to get in to GULC. You're on the border, and they're looking to justify accepting your somewhat mediocre numbers with a holistic background.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:47 pm

I agree with ajcollege.

I think the majority of people they interview are above one median and below the other. Basically treat it as an opportunity to show them why they should take you over someone else. If you don't go, they will take the other person unless he or she does absolutely awful because they would probably rather take someone they know to have average social skills over someone that they don't have any information on. This helps the school because if you can't give a decent interview, you won't have a good shot at OCI.

Edited for specificity.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:52 pm

It will not decrease your chances, because your chances are 0% if you don't interview.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Do the interview or you're not getting accepted. Others (including myself) will definitely kill to interview if given the chance.

Whatever your reasons, the school is just going to see this as disinterest.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:54 pm

KMaine wrote:It will not decrease your chances, because your chances are 0% if you don't interview.

Well-played.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:58 pm

KMaine wrote:It will not decrease your chances, because your chances are 0% if you don't interview.

This.

Look at it this way - interview and you might get rejected; don't and you'll surely get rejected.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:00 pm

ajcollege wrote:If you feel that talking about yourself and making an argument as to why you will be successful in law school will hurt your chances of admission, you may want to consider an alternative career.

At the very least, the interview isn't something you can decline and still expect to get in to GULC. You're on the border, and they're looking to justify accepting your somewhat mediocre numbers with a holistic background.

+1

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:01 pm

You might feel uncomfortable doing an interview or feel unprepared but they likely won't call you for a week or two so that gives you time to prepare/practice. As others have said, it's not quite "optional." Even if you think your interview will SUCK and the alumnus will think "wow, this guy is a loser," there is a chance that it will go better than that. And that chance is more than what you would have if you decline the interview.

peterb0y

Postby peterb0y » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks guys, this has been helpful. How does this response sound?

Dear Ms. Lankford,
Thank you for this opportunity, I would be more than happy to participate in an interview. I do currently go to school in _____________, but I am away for the holidays. I will return January ___.

Sincerely,
XX

czelede

Postby czelede » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:03 pm

+1 to everything said here already. They would not be requesting an interview unless you were borderline. If they were planning to admit you on your application alone they would not be asking for an interview at all.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:03 pm

Sounds good. It will probably be after January when you hear back anyway.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Sounds good. It will probably be after January when you hear back anyway.

This.
Good luck!

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:06 pm

peterb0y wrote:Thanks guys, this has been helpful. How does this response sound?

Dear Ms. Lankford,
Thank you for this opportunity. [period - you had a comma splice] I would be more than happy to participate in an interview. I do currently go to attend school in _____________, but I am away for the holidays. I will return January ___ and look forward to arranging an interview after this date.*

Sincerely,
XX

*Add at least a little something here that lets her know you want to interview after you get back. Other than that, it looks great!

Also, if you need tips on the interview, I know some have been discussed in the GULC waiting thread. There are also a couple other threads about the group interview. Good luck!

alicen

Postby alicen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:18 pm

i'm in a similar situation, but my email is kind of different, so i'm wondering if it's the same issue because 1) it's a group interview and 2) my application isn't even complete there and i'm at/above medians. it definitely seems less personalized (no mention of "strength of my application"). is this still a must-attend thing? email quoted below...

Dear ___________,

I hope this email finds you well. I'm contacting you today to invite
you to attend a group interview here at Georgetown Law.

We are determined to try our best to get to know better as many of
you as we possibly can. In an effort to do so, and in addition to
the individual interviews that take place around the country through
our Alumni Admissions Interview Program, we will be adding some group
interviews for select applicants to our schedule this admissions
cycle.

These interviews will last one hour, will take place here on campus
with a group of approximately 8 - 15 applicants, and will be
conducted by me. While, of course, we would prefer to interview
every applicant one on one, with the number of applications we
receive, we simply can't. We hope these group interviews will allow
us to get to know each other a little bit better.

We will be hosting group interviews at the following dates and times:

Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 6:00pm, Georgetown Law, Room TBA
Thursday, January 6, 2011, 6:00pm, Georgetown Law, Room TBA
Monday, January 10, 2011, 6:00pm, Georgetown Law, Room TBA
Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 6:00pm, Georgetown Law, Room TBA
Thursday, January 13, 2011, 6:00pm, Georgetown Law, Room TBA
Tuesday, January 18, 2011, 6:00pm, Georgetown Law, Room TBA
Thursday, January 20, 2011, 6:00pm, Georgetown Law, Room TBA

If you're interested in participating in one of these group
interviews, please click on the link below to R.S.V.P to the
interview you would like to attend. Spaces are limited and interview
slots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.

After we hear from you, we will be in touch with additional details.

I hope to meet you in person on campus soon.

Best,

Andy

krad

Postby krad » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:20 pm

I still maintain that any time a school invites you to interview, you do it. Many other people would kill for the opportunity, and the school knows that, so I'd say you better get your butt over there... My $0.02.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:55 pm

alicen,
I guess you could decline if you live far/don't have the means to attend?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”