(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: TFA, Peace Corps, Fulbright ETA question

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:33 am

arism87 wrote:I don't suppose anyone can be sure which gives the greatest boost-- but TFA so far seems to MAYBE pushing me over the edge at schools I had a 50/50 shot at but not helping at reaches. More importantly, it does seem that it might help me pay for it (I have already gotten one TFA-specific scholarship, in addition to tons of fee waivers). Also, someone above said the pay is about equal to peace corps- false. In my region, starting salary is $50,000 now, plus about $7,000 Americorps grant and anything you make over the summer. TFA is MUCH more lucrative.

If you have Qs about TFA feel free to PM me! Best of luck

50K? Noice. NYC?

Also, the point about fee waivers is credited. Other than the UCs, I didn't pay for any of my law school apps. That said you'd have to be bonkers to do something for 2 years to save $80 each on some law school apps.

Also they REALLY raised the AC grant. It was $4,500/yr when I was there.

jeremysen3

Postby jeremysen3 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:42 am

jeremysen wrote:
SBL wrote:If you're going to rank the effect that things will have on someone's application process either (1.) don't present your opinion as definitive, (2.) have some data to back up your assertions, or (3.) don't be surprised when people say you're making shit up.

lol...rule #1: always shut up in the face of the "Most Powertripping Mod Evar"

I'm confused...banned for "mod sass?" I was conceding to your points when I posted this.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:45 am

SBL wrote:50K? Noice. NYC?

Baltimore- they are stepping it up! In fact, if I stuck around, I'd be making $80-100K by the time I'm out of LS. So.. I'm likely taking a pay cut in exchange for lots of debt :shock:

SBL wrote: Also, the point about fee waivers is credited. Other than the UCs, I didn't pay for any of my law school apps. That said you'd have to be bonkers to do something for 2 years to save $80 each on some law school apps.

Lol very true, especially because it was easier to take the automatic fee waivers from the CRS search than actually apply for them. As far as which ones are helpful to TFA and why, I thought it was worth noting. There are some big TFA scholarships though. Last year someone got $100K from Chicago with numbers that would certainly not have gotten that otherwise (about a 171, 3.8x IIRC).

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:47 am

arism87 wrote:

Baltimore- they are stepping it up! In fact, if I stuck around, I'd be making $80-100K by the time I'm out of LS. So.. I'm likely taking a pay cut in exchange for lots of debt :shock:

SBL wrote: Also, the point about fee waivers is credited. Other than the UCs, I didn't pay for any of my law school apps. That said you'd have to be bonkers to do something for 2 years to save $80 each on some law school apps.

Lol very true, especially because it was easier to take the automatic fee waivers from the CRS search than actually apply for them. As far as which ones are helpful to TFA and why, I thought it was worth noting. There are some big TFA scholarships though. Last year someone got $100K from Chicago with numbers that would certainly not have gotten that otherwise (about a 171, 3.8x IIRC).

Yeah, I do agree this kind of thing can be helpful for getting $$$.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:48 am

arism87 wrote:

Also those are incredible salaries for B-more teachers. I'm legitimately impressed. How did they get them so high? Dare I hope actual accountability measures are the tradeoff?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:59 am

SBL wrote:
arism87 wrote:

Also those are incredible salaries for B-more teachers. I'm legitimately impressed. How did they get them so high? Dare I hope actual accountability measures are the tradeoff?

Well.. they just passed the contract a couple weeks ago (by bribing teachers with an automatic $1,500 stipend) so it's still unclear. It got rid of the old step system where your pay was determined by how long you'd been around. Now you are on a certain track depending on how many "AUs" you earn- but there is no real system describing how you earn them yet. You get them for having clubs, attending PD, etc- you get enough to be on the top track simply by getting a proficient rating from your principal- but again, there is no system describing how you get this yet.

In theory it is supposed to be a type of merit pay but I'm skeptical.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:03 am

arism87 wrote:
SBL wrote:
arism87 wrote:

Well.. they just passed the contract a couple weeks ago (by bribing teachers with an automatic $1,500 stipend) so it's still unclear. It got rid of the old step system where your pay was determined by how long you'd been around. Now you are on a certain track depending on how many "AUs" you earn- but there is no real system describing how you earn them yet. You get them for having clubs, attending PD, etc- you get enough to be on the top track simply by getting a proficient rating from your principal- but again, there is no system describing how you get this yet.

In theory it is supposed to be a type of merit pay but I'm skeptical.

lol oh unions

"Merit" pay is fine as long as it doesn't correspond to student data in any way. :roll: :roll: :roll:

czelede

Postby czelede » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:51 am

SBL wrote:Also, I don't want to re-hash everything, but I rant about how much I hated TFA here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=140764

Take my experience FWIW - some people love the program. Just know going in what you're getting into and don't be expecting to get into HLS with a 167 because of it.

Wow, you did some major ownage in that thread.

OP, in my opinion if you were to be making considerations purely out of admissions boosts, I would say Fulbright (even ETA) probably sounds best on your resume, followed by Peace Corps and then TFA. Purely speculative on my part though. I also second the notion that PC and TFA are probably things you need to really want to do.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”