. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:38 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thisguy456

Bronze

Re: TFA, Peace Corps, Fulbright ETA question

Post by thisguy456 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:48 am

bee wrote:First off--I really hope this is the appropriate forum. Apologies if it is not, I'm a n00b.

I am currently trying to decide where to spend my time after UG. I want to apply to TFA, the PC, and the Fulbright ETA program, all for different but equally strong personal reasons. In the interest of trying to narrow it down to one program to throw all my effort behind, I'm throwing my hopes of going to LS in the future into the ring. While how good these programs look to schools won't be the basis of my decision, I'm curious about which of these 3 options TLSers will think is the best soft factor on my future LS app.

TIA!
I don't think there's too great of a distinction between the three in terms of admissions. I think they'd all be considered a "good" soft. I've seen some people on these boards say that TFA is a pretty good soft to have. I don't know what Fulbright "ETA" is...but if I had to rank them I'd say TFA--PC--Fulbright.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:51 am

Definitely:
1. Fulbright
2. Peace Corps
3. TFA

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:12 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:22 am

bee wrote:Fulbright ETA = Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship (unfortunately referred to as the "lesser" Fulbright)

jeremysen: is there a reason you rank them the way you do? It seems popular opinion on TLS is that TFA would be in first place (?)
Oh okay - I suppose Fulbright ETA should be last then. I'd put peace corps first though, I've heard quite a few negative things about the TFA experience.

Though TFA is paid, the $ you make should be comparable to PC when all expenses are accounted for. Up to your personal preference I think - PC will allow you to be in a diff country & have an experience beyond teaching.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:22 am

jeremysen wrote:Definitely:
1. Fulbright
2. Peace Corps
3. TFA
It very well could be...as I said I don't think there's too much distinction between the three. I think a lot depends on the specific Fulbright program. I'm abroad now and interact with a few Fulbrighters. To me it just seems like a year-long study abroad program. And I'm in a country that doesn't have too much competition among people trying to be Fulbrighters either. So in this particular program, it doesn't seem too selective or prestigious. I know some Fulbright programs in England are very selective...so perhaps that could be viewed as much better.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:58 am

thisguy456 wrote:
1. Fulbright
2. Peace Corps
3. TFA
It very well could be...as I said I don't think there's too much distinction between the three. I think a lot depends on the specific Fulbright program. I'm abroad now and interact with a few Fulbrighters. To me it just seems like a year-long study abroad program. And I'm in a country that doesn't have too much competition among people trying to be Fulbrighters either. So in this particular program, it doesn't seem too selective or prestigious. I know some Fulbright programs in England are very selective...so perhaps that could be viewed as much better.
OP is actually talking about Fulbright's ETA program, so it changes things.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:30 am

bee wrote:First off--I really hope this is the appropriate forum. Apologies if it is not, I'm a n00b.

I am currently trying to decide where to spend my time after UG. I want to apply to TFA, the PC, and the Fulbright ETA program, all for different but equally strong personal reasons. In the interest of trying to narrow it down to one program to throw all my effort behind, I'm throwing my hopes of going to LS in the future into the ring. While how good these programs look to schools won't be the basis of my decision, I'm curious about which of these 3 options TLSers will think is the best soft factor on my future LS app.

TIA!
I think the best soft will be the one you can speak the most to, that you have the most passion for.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:55 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:18 am

bee wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

TIA!
I think the best soft will be the one you can speak the most to, that you have the most passion for.
IA, but I'm having a lot of trouble because I have reasons for wanting all of the 3. Thus, the whole LS appeal factor comes into play.
Do you have any idea on what you want to do with your law degree? If government work, many RPCVs work for the government and having that network may help some. Are finances a problem for law school? You will most likely not have any savings after a PC assignment, other than a $7,000 or so readjustment allowance. Maybe you won't have a great deal of savings after TFA, but I think TFA'ers get paid a normal teaching wage (I might be wrong) and you could conceivably stow away some bucks. Do you want to go to law school sooner rather than later? I think Fulbright positions are one year (right?) whereas PC and TFA are longer.

I think ultimately just go with whichever option you think you'll enjoy the most. FWIW I'm a PCV now feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:31 am

Definitely make sure you get a good idea of what you'll be committing to - a lot of TFA friends of mine feel like they were hoodwinked by a tiny minority of student-teacher success stories. Be sure to PM the PC fella above :)

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:39 am

I'm currently in the Peace Corps, and my cycle's three for three so far :-) I even got a scholarship for PC ($25,500) at one school. Peace Corps was the best choice for me because I wanted to travel abroad, and I want to work with international and immigrant groups as a lawyer.

I will say that the PC program is much more established than TFA, and people I know in the PC have had a better experience than the TFA people I know. PC has a lot more institutional support and training than TFA. They prepare you for culture shock, unlike TFA. (Yes, TFA is domestic, but if you're not used to the environment you're going into, it can be a rough transition.) Also, several TFA friends ended up SOL when their schools downsized and fired them, the newest teachers and TFA failed to find a new placement for them. My 2 cents.

If you want any particulars, feel free to PM. I also know a few people doing Fulbright ETA, and they love it, fwiw.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:47 am

1. Fulbright
2. Peace Corps
3. TFA
Making shit up and then saying "Definitely" doesn't really make it any more true.

They all help, but not much, though I'd agree Fulbright is probably the best. I'd say at most the boost is equivalent to about 1 LSAT point for any of them, and only if you write a good PS about the experience. Whatever you do, do it because you've researched the program and it's a fit for you; don't do it because it'll help you get into law shool, because the odds are it won't.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:50 am

Also, I don't want to re-hash everything, but I rant about how much I hated TFA here http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=140764

Take my experience FWIW - some people love the program. Just know going in what you're getting into and don't be expecting to get into HLS with a 167 because of it.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:53 am

SBL wrote:
1. Fulbright
2. Peace Corps
3. TFA
Making shit up and then saying "Definitely" doesn't really make it any more true.

They all help, but not much, though I'd agree Fulbright is probably the best. I'd say at most the boost is equivalent to about 1 LSAT point for any of them, and only if you write a good PS about the experience. Whatever you do, do it because you've researched the program and it's a fit for you; don't do it because it'll help you get into law shool, because the odds are it won't.

If I were making shit up, then I might agree with you, but sometimes even subjective evaluations of programs can allow them to be ranked in clearcut ways. OP was looking to have the 3 programs ranked, so I did just that.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:58 am

jeremysen wrote:
SBL wrote:
1. Fulbright
2. Peace Corps
3. TFA

If I were making shit up, then I might agree with you, but sometimes even subjective evaluations of programs can allow them to be ranked in clearcut ways. OP was looking to have the 3 programs ranked, so I did just that.
As long as everyone's clear that your ranking reflects your (probably uninformed) opinion, then we're good.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:58 am

SBL wrote:Also, I don't want to re-hash everything, but I rant about how much I hated TFA here http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=140764

Take my experience FWIW - some people love the program. Just know going in what you're getting into and don't be expecting to get into HLS with a 167 because of it.
OP you should def. read SBL's comments on the program in the above thread. It is precisely what I heard from my TFA friends.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:02 am

jeremysen wrote:
SBL wrote:Also, I don't want to re-hash everything, but I rant about how much I hated TFA here http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=140764

OP you should def. read SBL's comments on the program in the above thread. It is precisely what I heard from my TFA friends.
+1

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:03 am

SBL wrote:
jeremysen wrote:
SBL wrote:
1. Fulbright
2. Peace Corps
3. TFA

As long as everyone's clear that your ranking reflects your (probably uninformed) opinion, then we're good.
Uh...this entire website facilitates uninformed opinions, no? A centerpoint of this website is the US News law school rankings.

Back onto ranking OP's programs, under your definition, does informed = having done the program?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:07 am

If you're going to rank the effect that things will have on someone's application process either (1.) don't present your opinion as definitive, (2.) have some data to back up your assertions, or (3.) don't be surprised when people say you're making shit up.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:13 am

SBL wrote:If you're going to rank the effect that things will have on someone's application process either (1.) don't present your opinion as definitive, (2.) have some data to back up your assertions, or (3.) don't be surprised when people say you're making shit up.
Fair enough on your 1st, but in this particular case, my opinion was pretty informed, and I'm sure you'd agree with it right?

I haven't violated #2 - if asked, I would have been happy to provide similar comments to yours in the thread you provided.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:19 am

I don't suppose anyone can be sure which gives the greatest boost-- but TFA so far seems to MAYBE pushing me over the edge at schools I had a 50/50 shot at but not helping at reaches. More importantly, it does seem that it might help me pay for it (I have already gotten one TFA-specific scholarship, in addition to tons of fee waivers). Also, someone above said the pay is about equal to peace corps- false. In my region, starting salary is $50,000 now, plus about $7,000 Americorps grant and anything you make over the summer. TFA is MUCH more lucrative.

If you have Qs about TFA feel free to PM me! Best of luck

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:21 am

SBL wrote:If you're going to rank the effect that things will have on someone's application process either (1.) don't present your opinion as definitive, (2.) have some data to back up your assertions, or (3.) don't be surprised when people say you're making shit up.

lol...rule #1: always shut up in the face of the "Most Powertripping Mod Evar"

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:32 am

bee wrote:
SBL wrote:
1. Fulbright
2. Peace Corps
3. TFA

Thanks for the informational replies--the TFA thread definitely gave me some new things to think about. Any particular reason that you agree that Fulbright is more valuable to LS's than PC or TFA?
Not really, and I'm not even sure I'm right about that. The name just seems to have more oomph.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”