A quick resume pointer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: A quick resume pointer

Postby 20160810 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:14 am

EricBerry wrote:
SisyphusHappy wrote:
EricBerry wrote:
Sure, don't include it if it's a one page resume or if you're using it to compensate for a lack of accomplishment in college. Most of the schools I applied to encouraged applicants not to limit their resume to one page. I felt that winning several national circuit tournaments with more than 200 competitors was an accomplishment well worth throwing at the bottom of the second page. Especially since success in debate hints at several qualities of a successful law student. It won't be a major addition to the application, but I definitely can't imagine it hurting you. I'm hoping throwing around HS titles will distract adcomms from everything I didn't do in college.

FTFY.

I have no regrets about college. 4 jobs, community service, fraternity leadership, student organizations, tutoring, etc. Average softs, but I definitely had plenty to talk about in my resume outside of high school.

Shocking.

Tip Walker

Postby Tip Walker » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:05 am

@ hokie, eric berry (congrats on your season so far, Eric)
Thanks, appreciate your thoughts as former h.s. jocks.
Don't understand the animosity toward h.s. sports, I felt it was an imperative part of education, and I learned more about leadership and teamwork on the ice and field than from any of my teachers.

@Ragged
So did you include your athletic achievements on your resume under "Interests" like I said I was considering, or did that go somewhere else related to your app? Can't quite follow you

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:08 am

wait...

you we're a varsity athlete. AND varsity co-captain in another sport?

Holy balls... this changes everything

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:09 am

SBL wrote:
EricBerry wrote:
SisyphusHappy wrote:
EricBerry wrote:
Sure, don't include it if it's a one page resume or if you're using it to compensate for a lack of accomplishment in college. Most of the schools I applied to encouraged applicants not to limit their resume to one page. I felt that winning several national circuit tournaments with more than 200 competitors was an accomplishment well worth throwing at the bottom of the second page. Especially since success in debate hints at several qualities of a successful law student. It won't be a major addition to the application, but I definitely can't imagine it hurting you. I'm hoping throwing around HS titles will distract adcomms from everything I didn't do in college.

FTFY.

I have no regrets about college. 4 jobs, community service, fraternity leadership, student organizations, tutoring, etc. Average softs, but I definitely had plenty to talk about in my resume outside of high school.

Shocking.

Read this on the first page.. flipped to page 2 hoping to comment.. and SBL steals my thunder

but anyway.. don't list high school achievements.. they are so... so... high school

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:18 am

high school sports... really... don't even consider putting it in, unless you were on a USA nationals team or an Olympian.

Tip Walker

Postby Tip Walker » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:18 am

@ Deuce
Not only did I accomplished those athletic accolades, I can spell correctly and don't have the internal anger you do to come here and go out of your way to be unhelpful and negative.
It's 'were' not 'we're,' you douche.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:20 am

Tip Walker wrote:@ Deuce
Not only did I accomplished those athletic accolades, I can spell correctly and don't have the internal anger you do to come here and go out of your way to be unhelpful and negative.

Tip Walker

Postby Tip Walker » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:28 am

In my rush, I did mispell. I have some excuse in that I smoked weed a few minutes ago.
I hold the opinion that Deuce is a douche, but diamond you caught me.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:32 am

Tip Walker wrote:@ Deuce

Touche. Forgive me for being drunk and not being able to spell to your standards. But like you and 90% of the people on these boards, I was also a high school athlete. Fun fact- we're not in high school anymore, and whatever you did or didn't do back then doesn't mean dick. Even if you were a college athlete, it still probably didn't mean dick. So congrats on your baller ability to spell but anything you did still doesn't count for shit, and your GPA/LSAT will be the only things that matter for your admissions purposes. Trust me, I'm one of the last people in the world, much less these boards, that you will find with "internal anger." I guess advice sucks when you don't want to hear the truth, ah well

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:38 am

Tip Walker wrote:In my rush, I did mispell. I have some excuse in that I smoked weed a few minutes ago.
I hold the opinion that Deuce is a douche, but diamond you caught me.

lol you don't seem like a terrible person.. but seriously I'd advise to keep the HS stuff off the apps.. and I'd also advise to make sure you remain anonymous throughout your posts since you just admitted to any adcomms who may visit this site that you smoke weed haha

Tip Walker

Postby Tip Walker » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:47 am

Thanks. Yeah I'm aware, my real name's not actually Tip of course. I started a topic about the effects smoking weed had on studying about a month ago so the cat's already out of the bag. The day before the LSAT I smoked 3 times. Smoking helps me to relax.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 am

Tip Walker wrote:Thanks. Yeah I'm aware, my real name's not actually Tip of course. I started a topic about the effects smoking weed had on studying about a month ago so the cat's already out of the bag. The day before the LSAT I smoked 3 times. Smoking helps me to relax.

You're either a flame or one of the most hilariously stupid pieces of dumbass I've seen... regardless, nice.

Tip Walker

Postby Tip Walker » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:18 am

Not a flame, but if adcomm members troll these forums and try to match users on this site to the thousands of applications they receive than god help us.
Maybe they do, but I'm rolling the dice. Not like weed is crystal meth, anyway. This is a blanket statement but everyone that's interesting has smoked some weed in their college days/early 20s.
3 times was more than I was planning for the day before, but it was a Friday and some friends of mine were down for the weekend visiting.

orangebluewhitered

Postby orangebluewhitered » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:59 am

</thread>

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:15 am

Tip Walker wrote:Not a flame, but if adcomm members troll these forums and try to match users on this site to the thousands of applications they receive than god help us.
Maybe they do, but I'm rolling the dice. Not like weed is crystal meth, anyway. This is a blanket statement but everyone that's interesting has smoked some weed in their college days/early 20s.
3 times was more than I was planning for the day before, but it was a Friday and some friends of mine were down for the weekend visiting.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:20 am

Tip Walker wrote:Not a flame

Right. This guy is one of the more sophisticated trolls we've seen in a long time. Wherever you guys found him, please bring more.

+1

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:33 pm

SBL wrote:
EricBerry wrote:
SisyphusHappy wrote:
EricBerry wrote:

FTFY.

Shocking.

ouch. you hurt my feelings. for sure.

verum custos

Postby verum custos » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Could someone please possibly tell me if I'm correct here:

When building a resume for law school, you should focus on:

1.) academic achievements
2.) RELEVANT work experience
3.) group membership (ideally honor societies and academic groups)
4.) volunteer stuff and anything else that clearly shows leadership

Is this about right?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:20 pm

verum custos wrote:Could someone please possibly tell me if I'm correct here:

4.) volunteer stuff and anything else that clearly shows leadership, initiative, creativity or anything else that possibly distinguishes you

Is this about right?

Professional certifications are good too. And high school athletic accomplishments.

verum custos

Postby verum custos » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:00 pm

ahduth wrote:

4.) volunteer stuff and anything else that clearly shows leadership, initiative, creativity or anything else that possibly distinguishes you

Is this about right?

Professional certifications are good too. And high school athletic accomplishments.

You drink a lot huh.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:17 am

verum custos wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Is this about right?

You drink a lot huh.

No, not at all. What makes you say that?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:05 am

4.) volunteer stuff and anything else that clearly shows leadership

Is this about right?

Work experience needn't be relevant. I listed the column I wrote for my UG newspaper and my years of experience waiting tables. Group membership is fine for generic student clubs, definitely mention honor societies and so forth, and people are split about whether to list fraternities/sororities. I had my fraternity listed on the resume I used to apply to school, and then deleted it when it came time to apply for jobs.

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:21 pm

I was offered a position on the US national baseball team when I was 18. I also was invited to train with one professional baseball organization as well as try out for a couple others. Should I include this on my resume? Quick answer: No - it has nothing to do with my undergrad college accomplishments, my graduate degree or work experience that would actually be more indicative of the type of person I am or what I will bring to the law school environment.

My opinion is that if you need to highlight anything from high school, you haven't done anything significant enough since.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:43 pm

CSCS Trainer wrote:I was offered a position on the US national baseball team when I was 18. I also was invited to train with one professional baseball organization as well as try out for a couple others. Should I include this on my resume? Quick answer: No - it has nothing to do with my undergrad college accomplishments, my graduate degree or work experience that would actually be more indicative of the type of person I am or what I will bring to the law school environment.

My opinion is that if you need to highlight anything from high school, you haven't done anything significant enough since.

This is pretty damn cool though.

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:04 pm

SBL wrote:
CSCS Trainer wrote:I was offered a position on the US national baseball team when I was 18. I also was invited to train with one professional baseball organization as well as try out for a couple others. Should I include this on my resume? Quick answer: No - it has nothing to do with my undergrad college accomplishments, my graduate degree or work experience that would actually be more indicative of the type of person I am or what I will bring to the law school environment.

This is pretty damn cool though.

Yes, it does make for some good conversation and usually comes up when I'm asked why I decided to pursue degrees in Exercise Physiology and Sports Performance. I'd be lying if I said I didn't spend some time re-living those days before I tore 2 muscles and several tendons/ligaments in my throwing shoulder that required reconstructive surgery and nearly a year of rehab.

But to the OP's topic, it's a cool story, I'm sure not many applying to law school have experienced, but still not important enough to place on my resume.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”