Attention All 0Ls

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschooliseasy

Attention All 0Ls

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:51 am

0Ls often obsess over prep work that won't help them (reading E&Es, Getting to Maybe, etc.) If you really want to do yourself a gigantic favor, write your cover letters for 1L job search now. God I wish I would have done that.

pasteurizedmilk

Re: Attention All 0Ls

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:56 am

+1

Update your resume too.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 am

I definitely question the standard advice not to read Hornbooks or do other prep before starting 1L. I personally didn't prep with substantive law study ahead of time, I think out of a combination of laziness and reading so many people saying it won't help and will probably hurt. I can see where it may have limited benefit and I can see that focusing on the approach your particular professors take to the subjects is very important (rather than trying to learn the subject in some objective comprehensive way), but I really think that coming into 1L with a fairly good idea of what each topic is about could be a real advantage.. Just saying..

Yeah having cover letters and resume ready would be nice, but I know for me I'm glad I had the Career Development office presentations mid-semester to consider and the 1:1s with the career office before trying to do covers etc...

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:07 am

You can't write a good cover letter unless you personalize it. It might as well be a generic churned out letter if you don't take the time to focus on what makes a specific employer different than others, and what makes you a good fit for them.

If you want to make good use of your time, start reaching out to lawyers who graduated from your undergrad or the school you'll be going to. Have a sit down and just talk to them generally about what they do, how they found their jobs, etc...

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:17 am

Aqualibrium wrote:-1

You can't write a good cover letter unless you personalize it. It might as well be a generic churned out letter if you don't take the time to focus on what makes a specific employer different than others, and what makes you a good fit for them.

If you want to make good use of your time, start reaching out to lawyers who graduated from your undergrad or the school you'll be going to. Have a sit down and just talk to them generally about what they do, how they found their jobs, etc...

Disagree. Personalization is exactly why the letters take so much time, but it can be done before school starts. I (like many 0Ls) knew what market I wanted to work in prior to starting school. There is no reason you can't research firms and write solid cover letters to all firms/PI positions you're interested in, while leaving a few lines open for any notable accomplishments in your first few months of law school.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:37 am

Aqualibrium wrote:If you want to make good use of your time, start reaching out to lawyers who graduated from your undergrad or the school you'll be going to. Have a sit down and just talk to them generally about what they do, how they found their jobs, etc...

While I think the OP provided pretty good advice, I think this is SOO much more important. If you used the last calendar year before law school to build the sorts of connections law students would kill for, you will be in a much better position than those in your class. The more connections you can make, the better off you'll be. While cover letters and stuff like that may take time, you simply may not be in a position at all to make these sorts of connections during 1L.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:46 am

Rand M. wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:If you want to make good use of your time, start reaching out to lawyers who graduated from your undergrad or the school you'll be going to. Have a sit down and just talk to them generally about what they do, how they found their jobs, etc...

While I think the OP provided pretty good advice, I think this is SOO much more important. If you used the last calendar year before law school to build the sorts of connections law students would kill for, you will be in a much better position than those in your class. The more connections you can make, the better off you'll be. While cover letters and stuff like that may take time, you simply may not be in a position at all to make these sorts of connections during 1L.

Fair enough, I'm just saying that writing cover letters would be a bajillion times more helpful than reading some civ pro E&E that you don't understand.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:51 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:Fair enough, I'm just saying that writing cover letters would be a bajillion times more helpful than reading some civ pro E&E that you don't understand.

Very true. Reading that stuff before law school is a waste of time when you have entirely too much, and composing cover letters leading up to Dec. 1 is a waste of time when you don't have nearly enough.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:45 am

lol wut? don't do any of this. I spend 10 minutes on 1L cover letters.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”