How important is region?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jetsfan

How important is region?

Postby jetsfan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:45 pm

If I wanted to work in New York City, would it be wiser to go to a school like Syracuse which is in NY, or a school like UC Hastings which is ranked higher (and I'm a CA resident).
This is completely a hypothetical, I'm just trying to decide whether to apply to Hastings or not. (I'm pretty sure I can get into Syracuse) and I want to work somewhere in the east.

For the "next job" does it matter what region the school was in or does the ranking matter more (or does the school not matter at all)?

4for44

Re: How important is region?

Postby 4for44 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:59 pm

jetsfan wrote:If I wanted to work in New York City, would it be wiser to go to a school like Syracuse which is in NY, or a school like UC Hastings which is ranked higher (and I'm a CA resident).
This is completely a hypothetical, I'm just trying to decide whether to apply to Hastings or not. (I'm pretty sure I can get into Syracuse) and I want to work somewhere in the east.

For the "next job" does it matter what region the school was in or does the ranking matter more (or does the school not matter at all)?

neither have a national reach, so aside from top 1% at UC hastings, NYC is looking glum from there. Syracuse might have a little more NYC penatration but I doubt too much. Have you thought about Fordham or Brooklyn?

jetsfan

Postby jetsfan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:32 am

4for44 wrote:
jetsfan wrote:If I wanted to work in New York City, would it be wiser to go to a school like Syracuse which is in NY, or a school like UC Hastings which is ranked higher (and I'm a CA resident).

neither have a national reach, so aside from top 1% at UC hastings, NYC is looking glum from there. Syracuse might have a little more NYC penatration but I doubt too much. Have you thought about Fordham or Brooklyn?

Fordham is on my list, and NYC is one of the places I'm looking at, but I'm not really looking at working in CA. I was just trying to determine whether I should apply to Hastings. I have about 22 schools on my list right now (15 with fee waiver) so I was just curious how much ranking mattered vs. how much region matters.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:43 am

T14 are the only schools with legit movement possibilities

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:48 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:T14 are the only schools with legit movement possibilities

Not really.

All law schools are somewhat regional. Every single one. How "regional" your degree is a function of 1. your school's prestige and "name brand recognition," 2. your grades, and 3. your connections to the area you're targeting.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:53 am

if you want nyc, target as many good schools in and around nyc as possible. dont bother with california schools if you dont want to practice in california.

region matters more than rankings. Especially once you get into schools in double digits part of the rankings and larger.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:59 am

4for44 wrote:

Def. agree that Hastings is obv regional with best chances for a lucrative job being in CA, but can anyone confirm or deny that you would need to be top 1% at Hastings to get NYC biglaw? I guess it is a kind of nitpicking, but I would guess top 5% (maybe even 5-10%) is a more accurate in terms of the cutoff for Hastings students having a reas shot at NYC biglaw (if they wanted it- I think prob most Hastings students want to stay in CA).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”