recommend a law-related book/tv show/movie

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NZA

Re: recommend a law-related book/tv show/movie

Postby NZA » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:31 pm

Lawquacious wrote:I already responded once that this was an overly strong conclusion (obviously) re: the Wire being the only credited response. I also mentioned that I would check it out and I did. Now I am even less impressed with Rand's answer. It seems like a high quality show and I am kind of getting into it, but I think the show still takes lots of liberties re: how policing and court process actually works, although I will say for the most part the courtroom scenes seem pretty realistic. I've spent a lot of time sitting in courtrooms for a previous job, including providing testimony and talking with judges, so I do have some basis of comparison. I disagree that there is no basis of comparing other dramatic renderings of lawyering or court process (actually the Wire is mostly about detective work, not lawyering, from what I have seen so far).

Just because there is a class on the show does not prove that it is the most significant or accurate dramatic rendering of the legal process. It is one among many, albeit perhaps a fairly good one (though if you ask a bunch of Baltimore detectives how accurate some of the stuff in season 1 is [all that I have seen so far] I think you would find that its not nearly as common as the show represents for cops to be assaulting suspects where not assaulted first and that they would also point out other dramatic liberties). Anyway, I suppose overconfidence such as above can be a form of baiting (whether or not it was intended this way), but I am glad that I was introduced to a new show. :)

I want to slap you across the face because you did not post, "OMFG THE WIRE IS THE BEST SHOW EVAR," but your response was so reasonable and fair that I admit I am a bit confused.

Anyway, did you read, "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets" by the guy who created the Wire? Because some of the stuff that happens in the Wire with the Homicide Unit comes straight from anecdotes obtained from spending a year working with investigators. Not necessarily the assault stuff, of course.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:33 pm

One L, Scott Turrow

tlslsnlsp

Postby tlslsnlsp » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:30 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
I already responded once that this was an overly strong conclusion (obviously) re: the Wire being the only credited response. I also mentioned that I would check it out and I did. Now I am even less impressed with Rand's answer. It seems like a high quality show and I am kind of getting into it, but I think the show still takes lots of liberties re: how policing and court process actually works, although I will say for the most part the courtroom scenes seem pretty realistic. I've spent a lot of time sitting in courtrooms for a previous job, including providing testimony and talking with judges, so I do have some basis of comparison. I disagree that there is no basis of comparing other dramatic renderings of lawyering or court process (actually the Wire is mostly about detective work, not lawyering, from what I have seen so far).

Just because there is a class on the show does not prove that it is the most significant or accurate dramatic rendering of the legal process. It is one among many, albeit perhaps a fairly good one (though if you ask a bunch of Baltimore detectives how accurate some of the stuff in season 1 is [all that I have seen so far] I think you would find that its not nearly as common as the show represents for cops to be assaulting suspects where not assaulted first and that they would also point out other dramatic liberties). Anyway, I suppose overconfidence such as above can be a form of baiting (whether or not it was intended this way), but I am glad that I was introduced to a new show. :)

fair enough, though I tell everyone who starts watching the wire to watch up till the end of season 3 and see if they can still say "eh". the first 2 and a half seasons of the wire is like getting a really big and heavy wheel downhill, there's so much stuff they're planting for later seasons that it's slow and heavy at first but gets exponentially more interesting and intricate as you go through each episode. having said that season 2 is my least favorite so please don't stop halfway through or right after season 2; watch a couple of season 3 and the rest is gold.

i used to roll my eyes at the enthusiasm of those who have watched every episode of the wire... until i watched every episode of the wire. just the fact that i've yet to meet someone who has watched every episode and said "eh" should mean something. wow i sound like i work for hbo or something

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:20 am

Although turrow can sound a bit whiney at times, I still got a kick out of One L. You forget it was written in the 70s until he starts talking about smoking in the library and taking his electric typewriter to tests. Also, when he mentions that women and minorities have made great strides at Harvard: "they make up almost 20% of the class", I almost cracked up. Times change quickly.

Kaitlyn

Postby Kaitlyn » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:43 am

Last edited by Kaitlyn on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan91

Postby Ivan91 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:36 pm

That " Paper Chase" almost made me forget my law school plans ;]]

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:07 pm

fletchcon wrote:How has nobody mentioned Judge Judy yet?
Remember.... The people are real. The cases are real. The rulings are final
How much more accuracy do you need? :D

Seriously though Witness for the Prosecution is great (don't read a synopsis of the story before watching it though!)
Also Hitchcock's The Wrong Man is very good and based on a true story

Haha yes, Judge Judy all the way.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Also,
--ImageRemoved--

dcgbm

Postby dcgbm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:27 pm

burning through the nine right now, pretty interesting and more of a page-turner than i thought it'd be.

copy paper

Postby copy paper » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:32 am

Not to dredge up an old topic, but I'm stunned no one has recommended The Staircase. It's a mini-series documentary that won acclaim. It covers the build up to Michael Peterson's murder trial in California. It's not exactly a one sided look the events, but how often do you get to watch the actual behind the scenes preparation for a murder trial?

http://www.amazon.com/Staircase-Michael-Peterson/dp/B000A1INIK

M&A621

Postby M&A621 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:37 am

Fatal Subtraction: The Inside Story of Buchwald V. Paramount

http://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Subtraction ... 0787104949

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”