Waitlisted (ED) at top choice. What to do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What should I send them?

Why X only.
No votes
Why X AND LOCI.
91%
Retake/troll option.
9%

Total votes: 11

txadv11

Waitlisted (ED) at top choice. What to do?

Postby txadv11 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:47 am

I received a letter saying the waitlist is not ranked and that "...In the meantime, it would be in your best interests to update the Admissions Office on any accomplishments or other positive information you think may bolster your application. It may also help you so send us a short essay on why you want to attend XXXX if you have not already discussed this elsewhere. "

Q1: Clearly they want a Why X, but what about a LOCI, also?

Q2: How do I update them on accomplishments and "positive" info... Not a lot has changed since November, when I sent them:

Q3: Thoughts on a letter of rec? The school DID NOT accept them this year and opted only for evaluations, so I'm not too sure.

Originally: Early Decision Application, Personal Statement, LSAT Addendum (on why I have 2 scores), GPA Addendum (.3 lower than school, illness/family stuff), History Addendum (got a few tickets, shouldn't be a horrible thing) and 2 LOR's (actually "evaluations").

Note: I am around median LSAT (possibly 1 point lower, as it fluctuates +/- 1 point each year) But lowish 25th GPA, In-state resident, softs that correspond to the school's liking (trial ad competitions, awards)

duckmoney

Re: Waitlisted (ED) at top choice. What to do?

Postby duckmoney » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:56 am

What school only accepts evaluations and not LORs? I've never heard of such of thing. More information please.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Your why X and LOCI are the same thing at this point. Or at least your initial letter is.

As far as accomplishments, they seem to just want to know more about you. Mercenary as it sounds, now's the time to be slinging soup for the less fortunate.

The whole not accepting LOR thing is... very, very weird. Can you get a really positive recommendation from a professor? I'd call their admissions office and see if they'd accept one, if you can get one that's truly sterling.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:01 pm

Definitely start with a "Why X," as it will demonstrate your specific interest in the school and your continuing desire to attend. Submit an LOCI if there's no change in a few months. Also consider retaking the LSAT in February.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks for the info, and yes, it is weird, but the school wanted to try the evals only.

I'll have to really think on who would give me a great letter at this point, I had 2 solid choices, and used both... I'll try and figure out another.

I'm not mad or anything but it seems weird that ED can still give a waitlist. I figured it would be accept, reject, or rollover to RD.

Dark Horse

Postby Dark Horse » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:15 pm

txadv11 wrote:
Q2: How do I update them on accomplishments and "positive" info... Not a lot has changed since November, when I sent them:

I was in a similar situation, (applied ED, deferred, waitlisted, accepted) and I found ways to get recognition at my job, however minor. For example, my work had something where a manager would give special "credits" to entry-level people for a job well done on a project. After I'd accumulated a certain number of "credits" I'd write to my school, updating them on my progress. These credits were really no big deal; lots of people got lots of them. But I still sent them in. In my letter, I'd emphasize how much I wanted to attend the school. It's not hard to find ways to gain recognition, find volunteer projects, or do other things that would help your application. It's all really just an exercise to have a reason to send lots of LOCIs.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Do you know if it would be helpful to drop a line about being accepted to a similarly ranked school about 3 spots below said school and saying that you would still love to attend...I would assume this would only work, if it would help at all, when a school is ranked above...

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Dark Horse wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

I was in a similar situation, (applied ED, deferred, waitlisted, accepted) and I found ways to get recognition at my job, however minor. For example, my work had something where a manager would give special "credits" to entry-level people for a job well done on a project. After I'd accumulated a certain number of "credits" I'd write to my school, updating them on my progress. These credits were really no big deal; lots of people got lots of them. But I still sent them in. In my letter, I'd emphasize how much I wanted to attend the school. It's not hard to find ways to gain recognition, find volunteer projects, or do other things that would help your application. It's all really just an exercise to have a reason to send lots of LOCIs.

Interesting, how many times did you write to them and give updates? From LSN's decisions from last year, most people were eventually accepted, in April, and I guess I could send 1, 2, or even 3 letters..

ksimon2007 wrote:Do you know if it would be helpful to drop a line about being accepted to a similarly ranked school about 3 spots below said school and saying that you would still love to attend...I would assume this would only work, if it would help at all, when a school is ranked above...

I also had not thought of this. I have been accepted by two peer-similarly ranked schools in the region, I am worried that they may see I have another spot/chance and give mine to someone else though?

Dark Horse

Postby Dark Horse » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:49 pm

I wrote about once every five weeks or so, which came out to about three or four.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Ok, great, thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”