Rescind Acceptance due to bad grades?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ludacrispat26

Rescind Acceptance due to bad grades?

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:07 pm

Will a law school rescind an admissions offer for bad grades received after one has been accepted?

TLSNYC

Re: Rescind Acceptance due to bad grades?

Postby TLSNYC » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:Will a law school rescind an admissions offer for bad grades received after one has been accepted?

I've heard of people being told by UVA that their acceptance was contingent on maintaining a certain GPA. Otherwise, as long as you graduate, I don't think so. For ex, I know people retake the LSAT in Feb. for $$ and if they score lower, there is no real fear since they've already been accepted. If a lower score on the LSAT won't get your offer rescinded, I doubt a slightly lower GPA would either.

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:08 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
Ludacrispat26 wrote:Will a law school rescind an admissions offer for bad grades received after one has been accepted?

I've heard of people being told by UVA that their acceptance was contingent on maintaining a certain GPA. Otherwise, as long as you graduate, I don't think so. For ex, I know people retake the LSAT in Feb. for $$ and if they score lower, there is no real fear since they've already been accepted. If a lower score on the LSAT won't get your offer rescinded, I doubt a slightly lower GPA would either.

^Is that true? This is after you get accepted, correct? If you applied and schedule a retake for Feb. do they wait for that score?

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:07 am

Even if they did wait for your February score before accepting you, most schools take the highest score. So if your original score was good enough to get you accepted in the first place, you can't really hurt yourself by taking it again.

I mean, I suppose if you dropped from a 170 to a 150 you would look like a total idiot (and you just might be one too).

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:17 am

TLSNYC wrote:

Law schools can report just the highest LSAT, but if your GPA falls their median does too (well not really, but they fear it will).

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:22 am

dextermorgan wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:

Law schools can report just the highest LSAT, but if your GPA falls their median does too (well not really, but they fear it will).

Pretty sure you just send your updated transcript directly to the school and the median is reported by the gpa listed with the LSAC. So I don't think they care because of the median. I am interested of any real incidents of someone's acceptance being revoked because I have been hearing this rumor about senior grades since high school.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:31 am

dextermorgan wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:

In this situation, do the school a favor and don't update your lower GPA transcript imo.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:32 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:

Pretty sure you just send your updated transcript directly to the school and the median is reported by the gpa listed with the LSAC. So I don't think they care because of the median. I am interested of any real incidents of someone's acceptance being revoked because I have been hearing this rumor about senior grades since high school.

Law schools care about medians because US News cares about medians.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:39 am

Law schools care about medians because US News cares about medians.

Like I said, I am pretty sure they calculate their medians on the LSAC gpa so sending in your senior transcript directly to the school will not hurt their median as far as I am aware because your lsac gpa will remain the same..

dcpolitico

Postby dcpolitico » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:01 am

If your admissions offer was not explicitly conditioned upon your final grades, then NO. Just be sure you get a diploma. Law schools care about USNWR, but they care more about their ABA standing, which would certainly be called into question if they rescind an offer without cause. Just as schools expect applicants to abide by early decision agreements, law schools are expected to honor admissions offers. Both are calculated risks.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:42 am

dcpolitico wrote:If your admissions offer was not explicitly conditioned upon your final grades, then NO. Just be sure you get a diploma. Law schools care about USNWR, but they care more about their ABA standing, which would certainly be called into question if they rescind an offer without cause. Just as schools expect applicants to abide by early decision agreements, law schools are expected to honor admissions offers. Both are calculated risks.

Why would it be considered without cause if the cause is their GPA went down?

dcpolitico

Postby dcpolitico » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:12 pm

ISTAND wrote:
dcpolitico wrote:If your admissions offer was not explicitly conditioned upon your final grades, then NO. Just be sure you get a diploma. Law schools care about USNWR, but they care more about their ABA standing, which would certainly be called into question if they rescind an offer without cause. Just as schools expect applicants to abide by early decision agreements, law schools are expected to honor admissions offers. Both are calculated risks.

Why would it be considered without cause if the cause is their GPA went down?

They are extending you an offer based on the info they have at that time, not at some time in the future. They could condition it on future grades (or they could have just waited until receipt of your final grades), but that's not part of the deal, unless so stated. They liked what they saw and took a gamble. Once an offer is made and you accept, the games end. Unless you committed fraud, lied on your application, or don't graduate, they are stuck with you. Now they could pay you damages for their breaching, but if word got out, the harm to their goodwill and reputation would be unimaginable.

PM2353

Postby PM2353 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Old Thread. But piggybacking on top of this. I was wondering if a TLSer could give me a quick answer on something related to OP.

-Got accepted by Law School in Dec

-Horrible senioritis made my total gpa drop from 3.75 to 3.61

Do I have to update my LSAC with my new grades or can I just send my transcripts to my Law School?

Sorry if its a redundant question. Im just curious. Thanks

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed May 08, 2013 1:08 am

PM2353 wrote:Old Thread. But piggybacking on top of this. I was wondering if a TLSer could give me a quick answer on something related to OP.

-Got accepted by Law School in Dec

-Horrible senioritis made my total gpa drop from 3.75 to 3.61

Do I have to update my LSAC with my new grades or can I just send my transcripts to my Law School?

Sorry if its a redundant question. Im just curious. Thanks

Insane necro bro.

And no, just to the school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”