PS, GPA, Diversity and Resume.....Not what you think!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
daburrel

PS, GPA, Diversity and Resume.....Not what you think!

Postby daburrel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:08 pm

I am getting into crunch time and mainly because I bombed on the October LSAT but I know my December LSAT is much more up to par for what I was looking at (PT at around 158-162 going into Dec test). I have a few questions that I hope I can get answered.

1. With my personal statement, I want to go the route of telling my story of Hurricane Katrina and how it changed my life to get focused on school and not just sports like I was, was heavily recruited before Hurricane Katrina and knee injury (Basketball). The situation opened my eyes and I became a student and no longer a athlete. I became actively involved with Stock Market, Reading Books, etc. The first two years of my Undergrad (1 semester, and transferred back home) I was not totally focused, financial worries, moved to Baltimore my sophomore year. However, I feel that the motivation level is there and my passion for Law is there. My past experiences hasn't helped me to be a lawyer but I feel that my experiences has gotten me focused. My question is, will that direction of PS work or should I not go there? I know Hurricane Katrina stories have become cliche but I truly feel that time in my life was a wake up call.

2. GPA Addendum. My GPA at my undergrad 2.7 but its mainly from my 1 semester at my transfer University and my years when I had to drop classes, take internet classes, etc because I moved to Baltimore because of family/financial issues on top of me being a Marketing/Management for several Music/Entertainment artist and local businesses. I was wondering should I write one and include it? My latest semester ended (18hrs while taking 2 LSATs Oct and Dec on top of studying for Dec. test, didn't study much on first due to Mid-Terms sweeping away my time). Also, I am certain I should write a LSAT Addendum stating the reasons for my first low LSAT score correct?

3. As with Diversity Statement, I am not sure I should do one. I am a AA male, 22, from New Orleans but with the way my PS may go, I don't think I should continue to hit on that aspect or should I?

4. Lastly, when it comes to my resume, I am nervous. I don't have much of the great Honors and Work Histories as most on here and didn't Intern or work at DA Office, etc. The work I did was Marketing and Management for Music artist and Local Businesses as well as running my own Entertainment Business. These things can fill Work History but without much Honors/Awards etc and my experience being mainly in my Undergrad field (Business Management) does this hurt me? I did volunteer for a few things here and there and even did some Work Study tutoring Elementary Kids which is the only good thing I can say that I see filling most applicants Resumes, etc. I am wondering do I need to have those (Intern at DA, etc) references or do the things I have currently work?

Sorry for the long drawn out post but I am really trying to get some things done and I am getting very nervous due to my history of Entertainment. My passion is Law and I will attend Law School but this application process of standing out is hurting me and I am seeking help for that. My target school is New York Law and Loyola University of New Orleans.

JJDancer

Re: PS, GPA, Diversity and Resume.....Not what you think!

Postby JJDancer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:25 pm

the business focused resume will not be a negative

you don't need to be all save the world by being in the peace corps or anything like that either

just present yourself as is. After running your own entertainment business, an internship with the DA is not going to be that cool (my point is your other experience is more valuable already)

also real world WE = PLUS!

daburrel

Postby daburrel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks, appreciate it. I just see others talk about their jobs with DA offices, etc and I get nervous putting down managed such and such music artist or Club Promotions, etc.

daburrel

Postby daburrel » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:10 am

any other input? Seriously appreciated. I guess with the PS, I am wondering if just the basic wake up call in my life would fit being it's really unrelated with helping me become more interested in law. I have a friend whose PS can definitely be about a tragedy in his family that was unresolved, which will spark his interest in Law. My life however I have always wanted to be a Lawyer but never thought it was possible up until a year or two ago, I am the ultimate debater and the way I go about every day fits perfect with a Lawyer not to mention I am a fan of John Cochran and the entire Defense Attorney field.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”