Do you need an addendum if it took you 5 years to finish UG? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
URMdan

Bronze

Do you need an addendum if it took you 5 years to finish UG?

Post by URMdan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:30 pm

According to Anne Ivey you do, which is a surprise to me. Any words of wisdom on this?

BrianGriffintheDog

Bronze

Re: Do you need an addendum if it took you 5 years to finish UG?

Post by BrianGriffintheDog » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:33 pm

I like to hear more about this

SOOOO BUMP!

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:40 pm

Personally I feel like it depends on why it took an extra year... Double major? Study abroad? Those are probably pretty self explanatory. If it was because of a change in major, you might want to write an addendum. If you failed a lot of classes, I dunno if you want to write an addendum unless you have a good reason. I know a lot of schools want to know if you took a semester off for any reason, so you should definitely write one for that. I took seven years with four semesters off, and I wrote an addendum to explain.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:47 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Personally I feel like it depends on why it took an extra year... Double major? Study abroad? Those are probably pretty self explanatory. If it was because of a change in major, you might want to write an addendum. If you failed a lot of classes, I dunno if you want to write an addendum unless you have a good reason. I know a lot of schools want to know if you took a semester off for any reason, so you should definitely write one for that. I took seven years with four semesters off, and I wrote an addendum to explain.
Bostonlawchick where have you been!

I think the only real reason to write one is if you took some time off and that's why it took you extra time. Otherwise, you were in school the whole time and that should be reflected in your transcripts.

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:50 pm

Anne Ivey says:

"Some college students can’t take a full course load every semester and need
more than four years to complete their degrees. Unless told otherwise, an admissions
officer will just assume that you decided to go easy on yourself. So, if it
took you longer to graduate for a good reason — family illness, Division I sports
commitments, financial difficulties, or health problems, for example — make
sure to explain why."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:51 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Personally I feel like it depends on why it took an extra year... Double major? Study abroad? Those are probably pretty self explanatory. If it was because of a change in major, you might want to write an addendum. If you failed a lot of classes, I dunno if you want to write an addendum unless you have a good reason. I know a lot of schools want to know if you took a semester off for any reason, so you should definitely write one for that. I took seven years with four semesters off, and I wrote an addendum to explain.
+1

WithoutMe

New

Post by WithoutMe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:15 am

I have read Anna's book as well as countless others. It is my understanding that not including an addendum does more harm then good, it is always good better to include one if you are unsure (contrary to what many people may think). Several schools I forget which ones ENCOURAGE you have addendums. I would include one and on that note make sure its only 4-5 sentences.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:32 am

Since it was only an extra academic year, the reason can be woven into your personal statement if you prefer.

schrizto

New

Post by schrizto » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:32 am

URMdan wrote:Anne Ivey says:

"Some college students can’t take a full course load every semester and need
more than four years to complete their degrees. Unless told otherwise, an admissions
officer will just assume that you decided to go easy on yourself. So, if it
took you longer to graduate for a good reason — family illness, Division I sports
commitments, financial difficulties, or health problems, for example — make
sure to explain why."
It looks like it should only be a problem if you skimmed on courseload, ie if you took 12 credits every semester to graduate in 5 years vs at least a regular 15 credit courseload every semester for 5 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”