Econ major or Ghana?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby arism87 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:19 pm

glewz wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
glewz wrote:Keep doing what you're doing - a double major is very common, but a triple major is extremely rare.


That's probably because they're unnecessary and irrelevant to employers.

"So sir, I see you're applying as a financial analyst. Oh, I see you have a triple major in History/Economics/English? You're definitely more qualified than the Economics major."

lol.


...and it requires 60 extra units? And taking 8 classes/semester? And we're talking about applying to law school, not for a financial analyst position?


Depends where you go. At UVA, a major = 30 credits or a measly 10 classes. You aren't allowed to triple major, though.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:20 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I think you underestimate how many applicants have the EXACT same numbers yet the adcoms must make a decision between.


Your argument is pretty unclear. Are you saying that adcomms must choose between URMs (of different races) with the same numbers? Well, that's pretty obvious.

The point: URM is AA, NA, M, or PR. If you aren't those races, you aren't URM. Just claiming you're a "displaced minority" but being Eastern European will not boost your admissions chances like an actual URM.


It wasn't an argument at all. It will give you a boost over someone who is also not a URM because it is something interesting and compelling about that person. You said that a heart wrenching story won't have any impact at all which is just stupid.


Here, I pointed out the part you keep forgetting to read.


So where is that in here then? You said it was moot. It isn't moot, it just doesn't mean an much.

BrownBears09 wrote:
charlesacar wrote:Displaced Minority sounds much more hearwrenching than URM.


It doesn't matter what "sounds" more heart wrenching (I'm assuming that's what you meant.)

You are a URM if you're Black/African American, Native American, Mexican, or Puerto Rican. Otherwise, your race attribute is moot. Point blank.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:21 pm

Argument context. You lack it.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby glewz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:22 pm

arism87 wrote:
glewz wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
glewz wrote:Keep doing what you're doing - a double major is very common, but a triple major is extremely rare.


That's probably because they're unnecessary and irrelevant to employers.

"So sir, I see you're applying as a financial analyst. Oh, I see you have a triple major in History/Economics/English? You're definitely more qualified than the Economics major."

lol.


...and it requires 60 extra units? And taking 8 classes/semester? And we're talking about applying to law school, not for a financial analyst position?


Depends where you go. At UVA, a major = 30 credits or a measly 10 classes. You aren't allowed to triple major, though.


Doesn't cast any doubt on the point I was making - triple majors are Extremely rare.

Edit: though we do need to account for whether OP is at a top university. At a top univ., 3 majors are extremely rare
Last edited by glewz on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NorCalBruin
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby NorCalBruin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:23 pm

Ghana. No question.

1.) Is graduating with a third major going to help you get into law school? No.

2.) Is graduating with a third major going to leave you with a more fulfilling or intellectually rewarding undergraduate experience? Maybe, probably not.

3.) Could going to Ghana be a once in a lifetime experience that helps shape your perception of the world, or is it an experience that you'll cherish? Maybe not, but almost certainly yes.

As the GREAT Eminem once said, "You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow,
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo."

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby glewz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:26 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Ghana. No question.

1.) Is graduating with a third major going to help you get into law school? No.

2.) Is graduating with a third major going to leave you with a more fulfilling or intellectually rewarding undergraduate experience? Maybe, probably not.

3.) Could going to Ghana be a once in a lifetime experience that helps shape your perception of the world, or is it an experience that you'll cherish? Maybe not, but almost certainly yes.

As the GREAT Eminem once said, "You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow,
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo."


Both a Ghana experience And a 3rd major can individually satisfy #3. And I'm sure a 3rd major will help OP get into law school.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:28 pm

glewz wrote:Doesn't cast any doubt on the point I was making - triple majors are Extremely rare.

Edit: though we do need to account for whether OP is at a top university. At a top univ., 3 majors are extremely rare


If I requested a triple major at Brown, the Deans would have laughed at me (not to mention they do not allow triple majors.) They even discourage the practice of double majoring. This isn't because it's "harder" than choosing a single major, which is debatable in itself. It's because it is simply unnecessary.

Just because something is "rare" doesn't mean it adds positive value.

glewz wrote:And I'm sure a 3rd major will help OP get into law school.


lol. This reminded me to quit posting in this thread.
Last edited by BrownBears09 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:28 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:Argument context. You lack it.

You are an inconsistent dumbass. At first you say it is "moot" then you say it isn't the same as a URM even if it can have an effect. Those are two different things. Don't try to say "argument context" words have meanings so use them correctly.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:30 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:Argument context. You lack it.

You are an inconsistent dumbass. At first you say it is "moot" then you say it isn't the same as a URM even if it can have an effect. Those are two different things. Don't try to say "argument context" words have meanings so use them correctly.


You're all over the place man.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby glewz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:32 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
glewz wrote:Doesn't cast any doubt on the point I was making - triple majors are Extremely rare.

Edit: though we do need to account for whether OP is at a top university. At a top univ., 3 majors are extremely rare


If I requested a triple major at Brown, the Deans would have laughed at me (not to mention they do not allow triple majors.) They even discourage the practice of double majoring. This isn't because it's "harder" than choosing a single major, which is debatable in itself. It's because it is simply unnecessary.

Just because something is "rare" doesn't mean it adds positive value.

glewz wrote:And I'm sure a 3rd major will help OP get into law school.


lol. This reminded me to quit posting in this thread.


True, I'll give you these points on rarity - OP needs to decide whether a triple major is truly difficult to do at his/her school. If it is, then he/she will both be an extremely rare candidate in comparison to his/her colleagues and he/she will have a significant academic accomplishment that demonstrates a high level of intellectual prowess.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:35 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:Argument context. You lack it.

You are an inconsistent dumbass. At first you say it is "moot" then you say it isn't the same as a URM even if it can have an effect. Those are two different things. Don't try to say "argument context" words have meanings so use them correctly.


You're all over the place man.


You edited your post

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby ahduth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:43 pm

I'd go to Ghana. That sounds approximately 100000x cooler than getting a triple major in anything.

bloopyblooper
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby bloopyblooper » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:45 pm

Brownbear's point on URM status being more valuable than displaced minority is controversial so I think we should respect this viewpoint at least.

But Brownbear definitely shifted his argument; hence, inconsistency...so the rest of this discussion on whether he was inconsistent or not is pointless...read below:


Originally it was: "You are a URM if you're Black/African American, Native American, Mexican, or Puerto Rican. Otherwise, your race attribute is moot."

And then it quickly shifted to: "claiming you're a 'displaced minority'...will not boost your admissions chances like an actual URM"


These are very different messages.

charlesacar
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby charlesacar » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:49 pm

Wow, a lot of arguing. I guess some people wanna live up to that lawyer stereotype. In case anyone was wondering, yes I fit in to the category of URM. I was born in San Juan Puerto Rico, to two Puerto Rican parents. Father's a convict, Mother makes 20k a year, cousins are all gang members you know... the usual. lol.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:57 pm

charlesacar wrote:Wow, a lot of arguing. I guess some people wanna live up to that lawyer stereotype. In case anyone was wondering, yes I fit in to the category of URM. I was born in San Juan Puerto Rico, to two Puerto Rican parents. Father's a convict, Mother makes 20k a year, cousins are all gang members you know... the usual. lol.


Aww

--ImageRemoved--

charlesacar
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby charlesacar » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:59 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
charlesacar wrote:Wow, a lot of arguing. I guess some people wanna live up to that lawyer stereotype. In case anyone was wondering, yes I fit in to the category of URM. I was born in San Juan Puerto Rico, to two Puerto Rican parents. Father's a convict, Mother makes 20k a year, cousins are all gang members you know... the usual. lol.


Aww

--ImageRemoved--



lol.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby arism87 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:04 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
charlesacar wrote:Wow, a lot of arguing. I guess some people wanna live up to that lawyer stereotype. In case anyone was wondering, yes I fit in to the category of URM. I was born in San Juan Puerto Rico, to two Puerto Rican parents. Father's a convict, Mother makes 20k a year, cousins are all gang members you know... the usual. lol.


Aww

--ImageRemoved--


Betting the mom's sleeping with the pool guy, the dad's secretly gay, and at least one of the kids (my money's on far left) will end up on drugs.

charlesacar
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby charlesacar » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:15 pm

arism87 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
charlesacar wrote:Wow, a lot of arguing. I guess some people wanna live up to that lawyer stereotype. In case anyone was wondering, yes I fit in to the category of URM. I was born in San Juan Puerto Rico, to two Puerto Rican parents. Father's a convict, Mother makes 20k a year, cousins are all gang members you know... the usual. lol.


Aww

--ImageRemoved--


Betting the mom's sleeping with the pool guy, the dad's secretly gay, and at least one of the kids (my money's on far left) will end up on drugs.



Does it really matter though when they have bi-colored marsh mellows, and what looks like cheese popcorn? I'd put up with a little gay-drug induced-adultery any day.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby ahduth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:22 pm

charlesacar wrote:Wow, a lot of arguing. I guess some people wanna live up to that lawyer stereotype. In case anyone was wondering, yes I fit in to the category of URM. I was born in San Juan Puerto Rico, to two Puerto Rican parents. Father's a convict, Mother makes 20k a year, cousins are all gang members you know... the usual. lol.


Yeah, you've already been accepted to Yale. I'd totally go to Ghana, that sounds way more fun.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], lawlzi, Mr. Archer and 3 guests