Econ major or Ghana?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
charlesacar
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Econ major or Ghana?

Postby charlesacar » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Hey guys I am a newbie to the forum, and I was hoping I could get some advice about a decision I have to make.

Question:

Basically I would like to know which would mean more to an admissions board (Specifically the top 11): graduating with an Economics Degree, or spending a semester abroad in Ghana? In Ghana I would be taking courses as well as working for a NGO

Some facts:

---My Dream School is Duke
---I have a 3.8 GPA
---I am currently an academic JR and a triple Major: Political Science/Global Multinational Studies/Economics
---I preform 300 hours of community service a year in the city of Trenton
---I am an RA, and am involved in numerous campus organizations
---I am a displaced minority
---I am an Educational Opportunity Student (meaning I am poor and from a bad neighborhood)
---I haven't yet taken the lsat but for the sake of the question assume I get in Duke's low range average

Why I can't do both: I am currently taking 8 course....and I really don't want to ever again. I take 1 course every winter break and 4 every summer. Even at this rate however I will not be able to graduate with all three majors without remaining an extra semester. My school is 44 thousand dollars a year, but with scholarships, and about 2 k in government loans, I pay nothing. My scholarships will run out in a year though so staying an extra semester is not an option.

So basically I cannot do both....sooo which should I stick with?

Any advice (that isn't "take the lsat, get a 170") would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance. = )

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby NZA » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:33 pm

charlesacar wrote:Any advice (that isn't "take the lsat, get a 170") would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance. = )


Image

In all seriousness OP, those are decent softs, but you've got to study hard for the LSAT. :( It sucks, I know, but this is what matters.

For now, do what you love! :) No major will benefit you tremendously or really in many ways at all.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:34 pm

Lol Ghana X 10000. It might give you something interesting to talk about. You major or number of them makes no difference really.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby BrownBears09 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Triple majors are a waste of time. As are double majors tbh.

pwyoung
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby pwyoung » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Ghana.

charlesacar
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby charlesacar » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:39 pm

In all seriousness OP, those are decent softs, but you've got to study hard for the LSAT. :( It sucks, I know, but this is what matters.

For now, do what you love! :) No major will benefit you tremendously or really in many ways at all.[/quote]

Thanks for the awesome reply. I am going to take a prep course this spring and take the lsat shortly after. I don't have the time or discipline to study in my free time so I'm paying for the course to structure it.

User avatar
applepiecrust
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:38 am

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby applepiecrust » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Ghana.

And slow down with the academic burdening - enjoy undergrad, it'll be over all too soon. Triple majors are unnecessary.
Though impressive job on the GPA with all the credits you're taking!

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby BrownBears09 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:06 pm

charlesacar wrote:---I have a 3.8 GPA
---I am currently an academic JR and a triple Major: Political Science/Global Multinational Studies/Economics
---I preform 300 hours of community service a year in the city of Trenton
---I am an RA, and am involved in numerous campus organizations
---I am a displaced minority
---I am an Educational Opportunity Student (meaning I am poor and from a bad neighborhood)
---I haven't yet taken the lsat but for the sake of the question assume I get in Duke's low range average



I crossed out the items that don't really set you apart from other applicants (even I have similar softs tbh,) but Ghana would be a unique experience.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby St.Remy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:15 pm

Do you plan on taking the June LSAT OP? And is the potential semester abroad this coming semester? I might be a bit worried about getting the materials/free time to study while in Ghana. I know that in my time abroad taking four hour chunks out of my day to do a logic test would have been very difficult for me to do in terms of motivation.

As long as study environment for the LSAT is not an issue though I vote Ghana all the way.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby ahduth » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:28 pm

charlesacar wrote:---I have a 3.8 GPA
---I am currently an academic JR and a triple Major: Political Science/Global Multinational Studies/Economics
---I preform 300 hours of community service a year in the city of Trenton
---I am an RA, and am involved in numerous campus organizations

---I am a displaced minority
---I am an Educational Opportunity Student (meaning I am poor and from a bad neighborhood)
---I haven't yet taken the lsat but for the sake of the question assume I get in Duke's low range average


I have crossed out the items that don't really set you apart from other applicants. Enjoy Yale.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby merichard87 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Don't pay for a course until you've taken a few prep tests and assessed your abilities. Many prep courses are pointless for specific students because they don't work for that student's needs. Take a few tests. Assess yourself. Get the bibles. Don't pay $1000 for a course unless its absolutely necessary.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby BrownBears09 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:31 pm

ahduth wrote:---I am a displaced minority

I have crossed out the items that don't really set you apart from other applicants. Enjoy Yale.


Displaced minority =/= URM. Nice try though.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Take the LSAT.

User avatar
Montevillian
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby Montevillian » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:55 am

What exactly do you mean by displaced minority? That could make an impact on your application, although it's a bit of a broad term..
Also, Ghana. Totally. Law schools don't care what you major in, no matter how many majors you have. They won't really care about the Ghana thing very much either, but that seems like a much more fulfilling and worthwhile use of your time.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby BlueDiamond » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:11 am

drop your third major and don't stay the extra semester

go to ghana

come back and get duke's median LSAT or higher.. if URM get in the 160's

charlesacar
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby charlesacar » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks for all the great advice.

As a general response to everyone:I am starting my LSAT prep after Christmas, for the June LSAT. I will be going to Ghana next fall, which might suck considering I don't think i can do any interviews from Africa....and Displaced Minority sounds much more hearwrenching than URM.

have a great Holiday everyone, thanks!

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Ghana was a great idea until a few years ago. Now it seems like anyone with time on their hands and who can afford goes to Ghana. You won't be that unique if you go there. And it won't be like working in Darfur. Ghana is pretty damned safe and not nearly as shitty as other parts of Africa. Do well in school and get high LSAT ftw.

It will be slightly better for saying you "worked" on the Obama 08 campaign or some other crap that 60% of kids who attended college at that time participated in.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:51 pm

charlesacar wrote:Displaced Minority sounds much more hearwrenching than URM.


It doesn't matter what "sounds" more heart wrenching (I'm assuming that's what you meant.)

You are a URM if you're Black/African American, Native American, Mexican, or Puerto Rican. Otherwise, your race attribute is moot. Point blank.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:56 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
charlesacar wrote:Displaced Minority sounds much more hearwrenching than URM.


It doesn't matter what "sounds" more heart wrenching (I'm assuming that's what you meant.)

You are a URM if you're Black/African American, Native American, Mexican, or Puerto Rican. Otherwise, your race attribute is moot. Point blank.


I think you underestimate how many applicants have the EXACT same numbers yet the adcoms must make a decision between.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:08 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I think you underestimate how many applicants have the EXACT same numbers yet the adcoms must make a decision between.


Your argument is pretty unclear. Are you saying that adcomms must choose between URMs (of different races) with the same numbers? Well, that's pretty obvious.

The point: URM is AA, NA, M, or PR. If you aren't those races, you aren't URM. Just claiming you're a "displaced minority" but being Eastern European will not boost your admissions chances like an actual URM.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby glewz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:12 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
charlesacar wrote:---I have a 3.8 GPA
---I am currently an academic JR and a triple Major: Political Science/Global Multinational Studies/Economics
---I preform 300 hours of community service a year in the city of Trenton
---I am an RA, and am involved in numerous campus organizations
---I am a displaced minority
---I am an Educational Opportunity Student (meaning I am poor and from a bad neighborhood)
---I haven't yet taken the lsat but for the sake of the question assume I get in Duke's low range average



I crossed out the items that don't really set you apart from other applicants (even I have similar softs tbh,) but Ghana would be a unique experience.



...Alone, individual items might not matter so much, but the fact that you've performed 3 majors very well AND have done so much sets you apart from every applicant.

It's a tough call between completing the 3rd major & going to Ghana. I mean...don't u have just a few more classes left? I'd finish the 3rd major if I were you. A lot of people go to Ghana these days btw - programs are popping up Everywhere, and it's not half as rare as a triple major IMO.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:15 pm

glewz wrote:Keep doing what you're doing - a double major is very common, but a triple major is extremely rare.


That's probably because they're unnecessary and irrelevant to employers.

"So sir, I see you're applying as a financial analyst. Oh, I see you have a triple major in History/Economics/English? You're definitely more qualified than the Economics major."

lol.
Last edited by BrownBears09 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:15 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I think you underestimate how many applicants have the EXACT same numbers yet the adcoms must make a decision between.


Your argument is pretty unclear. Are you saying that adcomms must choose between URMs (of different races) with the same numbers? Well, that's pretty obvious.

The point: URM is AA, NA, M, or PR. If you aren't those races, you aren't URM. Just claiming you're a "displaced minority" but being Eastern European will not boost your admissions chances like an actual URM.


It wasn't an argument at all. It will give you a boost over someone who is also not a URM because it is something interesting and compelling about that person. You said that a heart wrenching story won't have any impact at all which is just stupid.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby glewz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:17 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
glewz wrote:Keep doing what you're doing - a double major is very common, but a triple major is extremely rare.


That's probably because they're unnecessary and irrelevant to employers.

"So sir, I see you're applying as a financial analyst. Oh, I see you have a triple major in History/Economics/English? You're definitely more qualified than the Economics major."

lol.


...and it requires 60 extra units? And taking 8 classes/semester? And we're talking about applying to law school, not to a financial analyst position?
Last edited by glewz on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Econ major or Ghana?

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:17 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I think you underestimate how many applicants have the EXACT same numbers yet the adcoms must make a decision between.


Your argument is pretty unclear. Are you saying that adcomms must choose between URMs (of different races) with the same numbers? Well, that's pretty obvious.

The point: URM is AA, NA, M, or PR. If you aren't those races, you aren't URM. Just claiming you're a "displaced minority" but being Eastern European will not boost your admissions chances like an actual URM.


It wasn't an argument at all. It will give you a boost over someone who is also not a URM because it is something interesting and compelling about that person. You said that a heart wrenching story won't have any impact at all which is just stupid.


Here, I pointed out the part you keep forgetting to read.

Edit: From your reasoning, you probably just neglected to read the thread.
Last edited by BrownBears09 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: checkcheckgo and 2 guests