Replying to personalized email from schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
benjamin5rr

Replying to personalized email from schools

Postby benjamin5rr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:23 pm

Forgive me if the question sounds dumb. I have got an acceptance from my 3rd choice (waiting to hear from other schools.) The email was a bit personalized mentioning my "outstanding P.S" and that the Dean was very impressed. The rest of the email was long but general. I know that they might email many, many applicants and that they use similar words to elaborate on their "congrats email".

Do you think it would be appropriate and/or necessary to send a reply to the email? If and only if so, how much would you write. I don't want to have a bad first impression as I might end up attending this law school.

txadv11

Re: Replying to personalized email from schools

Postby txadv11 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:27 pm

What is the email address format? Also what are you wanting to say?

If it was admissions@xyz.edu then I'd reconsider.
If it was deansmith@xyz.edu then it is probably worth replying, if you have something important to say.

To get back to the main question, no, I wouldn't reply, and if I did, I'd keep it short and sweet, like 100 words or less.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:30 pm

txadv11 wrote:What is the email address format? Also what are you wanting to say?

If it was deansmith@xyz.edu then it is probably worth replying, if you have something important to say.

To get back to the main question, no, I wouldn't reply, and if I did, I'd keep it short and sweet, like 100 words or less.

I don't think a thank you note will hurt you at all. The admissions address is still answered by a human being. bob.jones@xyz.edu is probably directly to the dean themselves.

Either way it's polite and friendly. There's absolutely no downside.

hokie

Postby hokie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:30 pm

there was a thread recently discussing exactly this (but referred to letter's of interest not acceptance). It is definitely not necessary, but I don't see why it would be inappropriate. It is your prerogative, and if you have questions to ask, I say go for it. Unless you made some inappropriate off-color joke or something, I don't think it will leave a bad impression. GL and congrats on the acceptance!

benjamin5rr

Postby benjamin5rr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:43 pm

txadv11 wrote:What is the email address format? Also what are you wanting to say?

the email format is "name@xyz.edu" and it was sent by the Associate Dean of Enrollment. The email was sent at 7:00pm (not sure if schools are open that late!)

benjamin5rr

Postby benjamin5rr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:45 pm

hokie wrote:there was a thread recently discussing exactly this (but referred to letter's of interest not acceptance). It is definitely not necessary, but I don't see why it would be inappropriate. It is your prerogative, and if you have questions to ask, I say go for it. Unless you made some inappropriate off-color joke or something, I don't think it will leave a bad impression. GL and congrats on the acceptance!

Thank you. No, I wouldn't risk my reputation just to sound cute by making jokes...

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:50 pm

benjamin5rr wrote:
hokie wrote:there was a thread recently discussing exactly this (but referred to letter's of interest not acceptance). It is definitely not necessary, but I don't see why it would be inappropriate. It is your prerogative, and if you have questions to ask, I say go for it. Unless you made some inappropriate off-color joke or something, I don't think it will leave a bad impression. GL and congrats on the acceptance!

Thank you. No, I wouldn't risk my reputation just to sound cute by making jokes...

I crack jokes with the admissions people all the time. They seem to enjoy it - seems like most of the callers they get are rather... uptight... nervous... or something.

benjamin5rr

Postby benjamin5rr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:50 pm

ahduth wrote:

I don't think a thank you note will hurt you at all. The admissions address is still answered by a human being. bob.jones@xyz.edu is probably directly to the dean themselves.

Either way it's polite and friendly. There's absolutely no downside.

Yes, I am trying to sound friendly. Hopefully they won't get the impression that I am committed to attend their school. I mean, it's too early to decide. Thanks for the advice. I would make a short thank you note then.

benjamin5rr

Postby benjamin5rr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:53 pm

ahduth wrote:
benjamin5rr wrote:

I crack jokes with the admissions people all the time. They seem to enjoy it - seems like most of the callers they get are rather... uptight... nervous... or something.

Haha, well, a good sense of humor plays a key role here but it also depends on who tells the joke. My jokes are rather boring and they don't deserve anything better than a quick smile (if I'm lucky not to sound dumb.)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”