How law school interprets a significant upward tend in GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eli88

How law school interprets a significant upward tend in GPA?

Postby eli88 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:05 am

Upon completing my 50th credit, my GPA/transcript was absolutely horrendous : 2.5 (3.08 after re-taking few classes, good amount of W's including one semester of all W's). I was surprisingly accepted into a more reputable school, so i took the transfer..for a fresh start. My second transcript of the remaining 74 credits reflects a GPA of 3.8, assuming that I get a 170 LSAT, do i still have a shot at T1 schools like NYU, Colombia, Cornell, etc..or am i doomed? Does the fact that I'm an ethnic minority (Asian, not URM) boost my chances at all?

glitter178

Re: How law school interprets a significant upward tend in GPA?

Postby glitter178 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:09 am

eli88 wrote:Upon completing my 50th credit, my GPA/transcript was absolutely horrendous : 2.5 (3.08 after re-taking few classes, good amount of W's including one semester of all W's). I was surprisingly accepted into a more reputable school, so i took the transfer..for a fresh start. My second transcript of the remaining 74 credits reflects a GPA of 3.8, assuming that I get a 170 LSAT, do i still have a shot at T1 schools like NYU, Colombia, Cornell, etc..or am i doomed? Does the fact that I'm an ethnic minority (Asian, not URM) boost my chances at all?

No boost for being Asian, and you likely do not have a chance at those schools, I'm sorry. Will have to get a higher LSAT to counterbalance the gpa

Edit to add: best chance is Cornell, of course

benito

Postby benito » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 am

The upward trend is definitely a good thing but for the schools you mentioned I think you'd have to get at least a 173 to get a sniff and even then it would be tough. Best chance is obviously Cornell like the last person said. It would help if there is some reason you got the bad grades at first, family issues death etc, and you could write an addendum addressing that. By the way LSDAS does not honor GPA forgiveness for repeated courses. If you failed a course and took it over when they calculate you're cumulative GPA they count both the failed grade and the retaken grade. Even if your university does not. Yeah and Asians certainly are not a URM at law schools, so no benefit there.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:39 am

Best chance at T14 might be Cornell, but with your LSDAS GPA between 3.2-3.5, you'd also have a good shot at UVA with a 170+ LSAT (assuming you apply ED). Being Asian doesn't get you a boost (although if you're an immigrant and/or you can write a convincing/coherent DS, you might get a small diversity boost). Upward GPA trend is kind of a necessary-but-not-sufficient deal--you need one if you have a sub-par GPA, but it's not going to give you a boost.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”