NEW VERSION - Conduct Addendum help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JJDancer

NEW VERSION - Conduct Addendum help?

Postby JJDancer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:20 pm

NEW VERSION

Not sure how to write one of these. The LS specifically told me that they wanted me to write an addendum for anything that involved written communication from the university so here it goes.

Once in December 2006 and again in September 2007, I was given administrative violations by University Police for being under 21 years of age while attending dormitory birthday parties where alcohol was being served. I had not been drinking but University Police did not have a test I could take to prove my sobriety. Thus, I was given administrative violations. No formal charges were filed and no disciplinary action was taken against me. Since these events occurred a few years ago, I do not have a clear recollection of all communication from the University. However, per university policy, I probably received an e-mail warning about underage drinking. My alma mater has a policy of expunging students’ records upon graduation; therefore, I do not have any way to verify this information.
Last edited by JJDancer on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Re: Conduct Addendum help?

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:29 pm

just state the facts. Dont put blame on others, or make excuses. State you were in a dorm room with alcohol present. as per university policy all underage people recieved an administrative violation, in addition to the students who were assigned the dorm room.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:35 pm

I'd put the effect on myself more towards the beginning to make it clear the level of violation we're talking about. Something like: "Once in December 2006 and again in September 2007, I was given administrative violations by University Police for being present at dormitory birthday parties where an underage individual had been consuming alcohol. I was not arrested or ticketed, though I may have received a warning via e-mail. No further action was taken following either incident. I had not been drinking and was not involved in procuring the alcohol."

I don't know if mentioning your personal or religious convictions re: alcohol is necessary. I think keeping it concise is a good thing (so long as it's accurate and in no way deceptive). This doesn't have to be a long addendum, and I don't think you need to show "rehabilitation" as you might with serious C&F problems.

It'd be good if you could pin down dates and whether you DID get an e-mail, just to look more professional and thorough.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:38 pm

Question for everyone else, but OP...

If the university expunged his records, and given that this is nothing even close to something that would prevent him from taking the bar... is it really worth even writing an addendum for? I know law schools request you write an addendum for basically ANYTHING, but this seems pretty minor.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:39 pm

Do I need to seem apologetic or like I learned my lesson? Because I wasn't drinking (but there wasn't a breathalizer or anything I could take) so it would feel disingenuous.

EDIT: Thanks joebloe, for addressing this. Also, I contacted my University's judicial services to get dates/any more info but they told me since it is expunged, they have no idea.
Last edited by JJDancer on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:40 pm

better to be safe than sorry.

I wrote one for something very similar. It doesnt hurt you at all. As long as you dont have a string of alcohol related issues.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:44 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Question for everyone else, but OP...

If the university expunged his records, and given that this is nothing even close to something that would prevent him from taking the bar... is it really worth even writing an addendum for? I know law schools request you write an addendum for basically ANYTHING, but this seems pretty minor.

Because not disclosing it to LS and having the bar find out about later it is about a million times worse. No expunged or sealed records are protected from the bar C&F committee. My understanding is also that your LS app becomes part of your bar app, and the bar asks you if you lied on your LS app for good measure. So should it ever come to light, they can rake you over the coals.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:44 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Question for everyone else, but OP...

I know this wasn't to me but I am only even considering writing about this for schools that ask about "being warned" because I don't know if I received an email and what it said. I'm calling schools and asking if they want to know and USC said no. Cornell said yes. Will ask Texas tomorrow.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”