Not doing ED

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SemperLegal

Not doing ED

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Decided not to to ED because I simply cannot afford to promise to attend a LS w/o $ and would choose to go to a t14 with $ over sticker at HYS and the Dean of Admissions at Columbia assured me that ED makes no real difference. Now I am having a minor case of self-doubt as people get admitted to law schools that I am UR or Complete at.

can someone reassure me that this was a smart idea?

glitter178

Re: Not doing ED

Postby glitter178 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:15 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Decided not to to ED because I simply cannot afford to promise to attend a LS w/o $ and would choose to go to a t14 with $ over sticker at HYS and the Dean of Admissions at Columbia assured me that ED makes no real difference. Now I am having a minor case of self-doubt as people get admitted to law schools that I am UR or Complete at.

depends on your numbers, of course... if you're way above medians, then CTFO

if you're not.... then it was possibly a stupid idea

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:16 pm

I don't know why people do ED. Take your chances on getting some $.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:17 pm

KMaine wrote:I don't know why people do ED. Take your chances on getting some $.

to get the ED bump, of course

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:18 pm

169, 3.86. Four year WE, plus decorated combat vet.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:19 pm

SemperLegal wrote:169, 3.86. Four year WE, plus decorated combat vet.

hmmm.... i mean, your LSAT is pretty low for some 14.... of course i dunno how combat vet fits into that, might bump you a few points. i'm sure someone will bite... i'd try boalt and uva

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:20 pm

You are in somewhere in the t14. Maybe not HYS or Columbia without the ED but definitely somewhere. Idk about money though.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:24 pm

AreJay711 wrote: You are in somewhere in the t14. Maybe not HYS or Columbia without the ED but definitely somewhere. Idk about money though.

This. Decorated vet will give you a small bump I'd imagine.

FWIW I went the non-ED route. I could have probably used the boost in hindsight, but I couldn't bring myself to shut out all $ options (and the option of <gasp I know> staying here in Colorado).

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:24 pm

I am hoping NU cause they like grown-ups, Duke because Southerners support the military, or NYU because I lectured for a class for their graduate school on leadership and they stiffed me for pay, so therefore they owe me admission to their law school. Fair's fair.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:27 pm

krad wrote:
This. Decorated vet will give you a small bump I'd imagine.

I am hoping they will realize that the feds use veteran's preference for legal jobs, should give me an edge on clerkships and internships. Now that we lost the last SCOTUS veteran I am willing to bet I can guilt my way into some sort of specialty Court's clerkship.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:28 pm

You will get a T14 in all likelihood, though your LSAT is a little low. Decorated combat bet is actually a good soft, so write about it, blanket T17, and wait for the money.

vicuna

Postby vicuna » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:30 pm

SemperLegal wrote:I am hoping NU cause they like grown-ups, Duke because Southerners support the military, or NYU because I lectured for a class for their graduate school on leadership and they stiffed me for pay, so therefore they owe me admission to their law school. Fair's fair.

I bet you'll get into Northwestern and Duke, though probably WL at NYU. Your best shot at the latter was probably with ED. Also, as a side note, two points:

1) UVA is much more "Southern" in the traditional sense than Duke.

2) I've live in both the Deep South and the Northeast. From my experience, regional stereotypes are often inaccurate. I definitely wouldn't base a decision of this magnitude on such a heuristic.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 pm

vicuna wrote: From my experience, regional stereotypes are often inaccurate. I definitely wouldn't base a decision of this magnitude on such a heuristic.

That was mostly in jest. I find that NYCers are actually so much more polite than Southerners on average, though obviously thats based solely on anecdotal evidence. Georgetown, as a university, is actually the most military-friendly school in the T14, though I don't know if GULC is

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:08 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Decided not to to ED because I simply cannot afford to promise to attend a LS w/o $ and would choose to go to a t14 with $ over sticker at HYS and the Dean of Admissions at Columbia assured me that ED makes no real difference. Now I am having a minor case of self-doubt as people get admitted to law schools that I am UR or Complete at.

Just made the same choice, and I'm standing by it. Sure, the ED might have been just what I needed to get in, but I can't even imagine how I'd dig out of a 225k+interest hole.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:33 pm

In at Michigan with $. UM loves vets and giving away $.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:36 pm

SemperLegal wrote:I am hoping NU cause they like grown-ups, Duke because Southerners support the military, or NYU because I lectured for a class for their graduate school on leadership and they stiffed me for pay, so therefore they owe me admission to their law school. Fair's fair.

Duke doesn't have Southerners.

You'll get in though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”