Addendum - Disciplinary Action

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Leira7905

Addendum - Disciplinary Action

Postby Leira7905 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Okay, so I had a little incident when I was a first-time freshman. :oops: This was eleven years ago. I am now in the law school application process, and need and addendum to explain. I would really appreciate any critique or advice any of you can give. Here's what I have:

ADDENDUM - Explanation of Disciplinary Action

In the Spring of 1999, when I was a first-time freshman at UTSA, a disciplinary action was taken against me for possession of a marijuana pipe in my on-campus apartment. The object was reported by maintenance personnel during a routine inspection of the apartment. I was asked to meet with a Dean of Judicial Affairs regarding the incident. At the meeting I was told that regardless of whether or not the object was mine, the apartment lease was in my name, and therefore I was responsible. I was further told that I could either request a hearing, or accept responsibility and take the punishment of a one-year suspension from the University. I chose to take responsibility, withdrew from my classes, and left the school. I knew then, that I had made a terrible error in judgment. I was at that time, and still am, very remorseful of my actions.

However, nearly ten years later, in the Fall of 2008 I was re-admitted to UTSA without a problem. Further, I subsequently contacted the Office of Student Judicial Affairs with regard to my disciplinary file in anticipation of my applying to law school. I had some concerns as to whether such an incident would keep me from being accepted by a reputable school. Coincidentally, I spoke with the same advisor that I had met with 9 and a half years earlier. She advised me that had the same incident occurred today, such strict action would not have been taken against me for a first offense. I was also told that I could request an expunction of the record. I took her advice, requested the expunction in writing, and it was granted in Fall 2010.

jaestro

Re: Addendum - Disciplinary Action

Postby jaestro » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:44 pm

expunction? meaning erased from record? never happened?

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:18 pm

jaestro wrote:expunction? meaning erased from record? never happened?

But there's still a ten-year gap in education following withdrawal; that will be on OP's record. I would say that more or less must be explained, either in the PS or addendum (probably addendum). How can you address that without honestly addressing the reason for the withdrawal?

I don't think this is a killer, and frankly I'd question claims that it would severely ding you.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:22 pm

IMO, it doesn't sound like you really take responsibility for the event. I'm getting a "Even though it was found in my own apartment (and no other parties were charged and/or involved), it wasn't my pipe, it somehow magically appeared there. Oh and by the way, even though it wasn't my pipe, I decided to take the blame for it anyways, because I'm such a nice guy and a great martyr." vibe from the first paragraph.

It was 11 years ago, be a little more accountable.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:29 pm

The first paragraph needs major work. You come off as "it wasn't mine but I took the heat anyway", but it does not follow logically with the information you provided. If you were offered a way out aka a hearing, why wouldn't you have pursued that if you were truly innocent. It seems as if you knew you were SOL and took the punishment. Cut some of the superfluous jargon out, and be more succinct and contrite. Maybe something similar to:

In 1999 I was cited with possession of drug paraphernalia while I was a freshman at UTSA. A pipe was found in my room upon a routine inspection. I was suspended for a year following the incident. This was a complete lapse of judgment and I fully understand that I am responsible for anything found in my room and have vowed to avoid such precarious situations in the future. Since this event I have not had any similar issues, nor a history of such offenses prior.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:32 pm

"I knew then, that I had made a terrible error in judgment."

Are you referring to taking responsibility for something that wasn't yours?

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:33 pm

use the above, just add "marijuana" somewhere so they dont start thinking "crack pipe"

jaestro

Postby jaestro » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:50 pm

I think you should leave out that you had the option for a hearing, but instead plead guilty. You're inner lawyer should have went to this hearing and got out this mess.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:34 pm

Okay, I get it... don't allude to it not being mine (it wasn't, by the way but I went I told them that, they said it didn't matter.) I didn't pursue the hearing because I was 19 and scared shitless... Also, the lady told me I would probably loose, and being a dumb kid, I believed her...

There's not really a ten year lapse in education because I went to other schools in the interim, but I do want to explain all the Withdrawls.

I do want to note that it was a marijuana pipe and not a crack pipe... i believe that's significant.

Yes, the record was expunged; however, I was told that it will still show (should anyone ever look into it) that Something occurred... it just won't say what exactly. Which is why I need to disclose.

I should point out that I'm working with an LSAC GPA of 3.51 and LSAT 165... So, not terrific, but certainly no schmuck.

How badly will this screw-up ding me?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:46 pm

I think you should say that it wasn't yours but that you were held responsible as the owner of the room. Say you accepted responsibility and were placed on 1 year suspension etc..

Don't mention the hearing option.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:22 pm

JJDancer wrote:I think you should say that it wasn't yours but that you were held responsible as the owner of the room. Say you accepted responsibility and were placed on 1 year suspension etc..

Don't mention the hearing option.

Fixed your suggestion. All that would do would paint a picture of "It wasn't mine, but I got blamed for it anyways." Nobody else was involved in the incident and it was his apartment. Regardless of it was his or not, you will be hard pressed to find someone who won't be suspicious of the validity.

Besides, I'm positive the actual incident report doesn't state, "It was the student's apartment and the paraphernalia wasn't his own, but we charged him anyways."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”