December LSAT App Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
delusional

December LSAT App Question

Postby delusional » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:29 am

So I took the December LSAT and I am going to assume for the time being that I did as well as I had been pushing to do and had done in PT - a 170-175. My GPA is 3.83. This places me in range of some scholarships at some T14 schools. In particular, I am interested in UPenn and Columbia (on the higher end of the possible LSAT range). But this Q can also apply to whichever lower ranked schools my numbers would qualify for if I don't do as well as I'd hoped.

I am somewhat debt-averse, and I am wondering what the cost/benefit situation would be as far as waiting another year. I can probably have my apps all fired up and ready to go the day the LSAT scores are released, but that's going to be early January. Throw in a few unpredictable events, and it can get delayed another few days to mid January. Is that too late to get meaningful financial aid based on numbers? Would there be an advantage in waiting a year and submitting an app the day they open for 2012? What would my options be if they don't offer much? Can I say "would it help if I defer"? Could I withdraw my app and just re-apply next year?

Related: I work now, and waiting would allow me to put away a somewhat larger nest egg, although not very significant in light of the $180,000 or so sticker cost of school. Maybe another $2-3,000.

I am ready to go now, fed up with work now, on the same page as my family now, etc. There's no reason to assume it'll change, but it could.

Your advice is welcome!

kazu

Re: December LSAT App Question

Postby kazu » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:44 am

This will all depend on what your LSAT score turns out to be, and how debt averse you really are. For example, if you score on the lower end of that, would you choose to go to a T20 w/ a full scholly instead of Columbia at sticker? Remember that 170-175 is a really wide range.

That said, chances at $ will be affected negatively by your late-ish app. You will probably get more money if you apply first thing next cycle.

I would suggest applying this cycle, see how things turn out, and if you're not satisfied w/ your options don't enroll and reapply next cycle. It is possible to do this, and I think several TLSers have done just that.

Good luck!

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:57 am

kazu wrote:This will all depend on what your LSAT score turns out to be, and how debt averse you really are. For example, if you score on the lower end of that, would you choose to go to a T20 w/ a full scholly instead of Columbia at sticker? Remember that 170-175 is a really wide range.

That said, chances at $ will be affected negatively by your late-ish app. You will probably get more money if you apply first thing next cycle.

I would suggest applying this cycle, see how things turn out, and if you're not satisfied w/ your options don't enroll and reapply next cycle. It is possible to do this, and I think several TLSers have done just that.

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply.

Can you do that? I know that Penn, for example, says essentially that if you didn't get in, you aren't going to get in next year either. Does that not apply to scholarship money? In 2011, I'll fill in that I applied once in 2010, they'll run to the file cabinet and see that I got in at sticker... Will they then offer me money?

Also, is there any possibility of doing it upfront without sounding like an idiot? "I don't know if you'll take me and all, but if you will, and can't offer me money, would you offer me any if I deferred a year?"

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:15 am

"Penn... Crushing hopes and dreams one repeat application at a time"

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:16 am

delusional wrote:Thank you for your reply.

Can you do that? I know that Penn, for example, says essentially that if you didn't get in, you aren't going to get in next year either. Does that not apply to scholarship money? In 2011, I'll fill in that I applied once in 2010, they'll run to the file cabinet and see that I got in at sticker... Will they then offer me money?

Also, is there any possibility of doing it upfront without sounding like an idiot? "I don't know if you'll take me and all, but if you will, and can't offer me money, would you offer me any if I deferred a year?"

I don't think I've ever heard of an adcomm specifically saying "yes, we will give you money if you apply again next year". I might be wrong though.

Also, deferring =/= applying again next cycle. On TLS "deferring" generally refers to someone asking the school to defer their already accepted app for 1 (or more) school years. Since at this point they already know you'll attend, it's unlikely they'll give you more $. You can try asking before you even submit your apps, but I highly doubt adcomms will give you a straight answer, especially since you haven't even been admitted yet.

Because schools have a set amount of money they can give out, late apps are at a disadvantage b/c they've often run out of money on the strong candidates who applied earlier.

Can you point me towards where Penn said this? Regardless, if you have strong enough #s to be a strong candidate for Penn merit aid had you applied earlier, and you get an acceptance at Penn this cycle but decide not to enroll (and maybe state "lack of merit aid" as your reason for not enrolling that semester), I don't think they'll "run to the filing cabinet" and then not give you money again. I don't see why they'd do this when you've shown an obvious affinity for Penn. I might be wrong though - I'm just going on what I've heard on TLS.

Remember, you can also leverage/negotiate for more $$ once offers start coming in... viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:22 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:"Penn... Crushing hopes and dreams one repeat application at a time"
:) Well, they do say "unless something significant has changed". But it could be a little tricky for someone with borderline numbers who applied late (or who had a borderline change).

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:29 am

kazu wrote:
Can you point me towards where Penn said this? Regardless, if you have strong enough #s to be a strong candidate for Penn merit aid had you applied earlier, and you get an acceptance at Penn this cycle but decide not to enroll (and maybe state "lack of merit aid" as your reason for not enrolling that semester), I don't think they'll "run to the filing cabinet" and then not give you money again. I don't see why they'd do this when you've shown an obvious affinity for Penn. I might be wrong though - I'm just going on what I've heard on TLS.

Remember, you can also leverage/negotiate for more $$ once offers start coming in... http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

From their website's application instruction PDF:
Applicants who are denied admission may reapply to Penn Law in a subsequent year. It should be noted, however, that candidates are unlikely to be admitted unless there is some significant change since their previous application.

Yeah, I could see where it's different, though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”