Dumb question about LSDAS GPA and A+s

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jader

Dumb question about LSDAS GPA and A+s

Postby Jader » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:37 am

So my LSDAS and regular GPA is exactly the same at a 3.72. My school (Tulane) had a standard B+/A-/A system of 3.33, 3.66, 4.0 system, but no A+.

Do admissions take into account that my GPA would probably be a full tenth or two higher if my school offered A+s?

I don't mean to sound like a douche here since I'm pretty sure most of your are in the same boat, but it seems like someone with a straight 4.0 LSDAS is more impressive than someone with a 4.1 because it means they maxed out their potential.

glewz

Re: Dumb question about LSDAS GPA and A+s

Postby glewz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:46 am

Jader wrote:So my LSDAS and regular GPA is exactly the same at a 3.72. My school (Tulane) had a standard B+/A-/A system of 3.33, 3.66, 4.0 system, but no A+.

Do admissions take into account that my GPA would probably be a full tenth or two higher if my school offered A+s?

I don't mean to sound like a douche here since I'm pretty sure most of your are in the same boat, but it seems like someone with a straight 4.0 LSDAS is more impressive than someone with a 4.1 because it means they maxed out their potential.

I think what they'd do is evaluate you in comparison to other students at your school. And when they compare candidates between different universities/colleges, the common practice is to compare the schools' respective average LSAT scores.

Edit: To answer your question, the 4.0 cap is likely accounted for.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:02 am

Jader wrote:

Well, how would schools be able to predict how much higher your GPA would be if you could get A+s? It's possible it could be .33 higher, or not higher at all. If your school doesn't offer A+s, it's impossible to say how many A+s you would have gotten had they been available, so while you can say your GPA wouldn't have been any lower, you can't say whether your GPA would be any higher, and by what amount.

That's kind of a nonsense statement. What do you mean one "maxed out their potential"? An A, even when it's the highest grade, does not mean that a student has maxed out their potential. It means they fall into a broad swath of performance, and they could fall at any point within that swath. A system with an A+ may help add precision by narrowing the range and expanding the numbers of those swaths, but just because the 4.1 student didn't always fall into the A+ swath doesn't mean they somehow fall outside of the swath of performance in which we find the 4.0 student. If anything, the 4.0 student could have scraped by with the minimum for an A in every class, while the 4.1 student is guaranteed to have earned a number of A+ credits. To say that a question of maximizing potential enters into this consideration is just silly.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:05 am

I don't think any law schools care to be honest... 4.1>4.0 in USNews rankings.. so 4.1 wins.. sorry

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:17 am

BlueDiamond wrote:I don't think any law schools care to be honest... 4.1>4.0 in USNews rankings.. so 4.1 wins.. sorry

This. With maybe a slight ivy league/top UG bump.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”