Undergrad Law School Internship

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wildcatpride

Undergrad Law School Internship

Postby wildcatpride » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:29 am

Hey everyone,

I have an opportunity to intern at a T14 law school for Winter quarter (but, I can volunteer whenever I want). It's like a legal clinic.

Would this look good when applying for law school? Substantially?

I'm considering either taking 5 classes next quarter with a heavy courseload, or I take 4 and do this internship...trying to decide if it's really worth the time and effort.

Please let me know what you guys think, or how I can use that internship legal clinic to my advantage.

T6Hopeful

Re: Undergrad Law School Internship

Postby T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:32 am

wildcatpride wrote:Hey everyone,

I have an opportunity to intern at a T14 law school for Winter quarter (but, I can volunteer whenever I want). It's like a legal clinic.

I'm considering either taking 5 classes next quarter with a heavy courseload, or I take 4 and do this internship...trying to decide if it's really worth the time and effort.

Please let me know what you guys think, or how I can use that internship legal clinic to my advantage.

Well, if you're going to wait until after the winter quarter to write about it, it's going to put you at a disadvantage from applying late. That said, it would be very good as ammo for a letter of continuing interest, etc. IF you can tie together what you've learned from that experience + how that T14 school (or any other you decide to apply to) would help you further your interests and whatnot. HTH.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:35 am

T6Hopeful wrote:

Well, if you're going to wait until after the winter quarter to write about it, it's going to put you at a disadvantage from applying late. That said, it would be very good as ammo for a letter of continuing interest, etc. IF you can tie together what you've learned from that experience + how that T14 school (or any other you decide to apply to) would help you further your interests and whatnot. HTH.

Dear you and everybody else applying to law school,

The way your law school application is evaluated: LSAT, GPA, work experience, whatever peace corps, law school internship, non-cancer curing stuff you happened to do before you entered law school.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:36 am

I wouldn't do it if you have to sacrifice your GPA even a little. If you can keep your GPA and graduate on time without creating an overly stressful quarter (either now or setting yourself up for one in the future), then I would take the internship. It won't have a substantial impact on your application at all, but it's nice to have some activities to be involved with outside of just school. You might be able to get a third LOR as well.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:22 pm

I interned at a clinic, and I ended up loving the school, and am currently applying there. I found it to be a great experience, I learned a lot about law and had an opportunity to meet a lot of students. I formed a great relationship with the professor and she even wrote the dean an e-mail on my behalf when I applied. She is really invested in helping me make connections in the legal community. If you think you can bond like this with your employer, I think it might be worth it. If it is only one day a week or something and you won't have much contact with the other people at the clinic, I would say don't do it. Also, as someone else mentioned, if it will hurt your GPA because it will be too time consuming, I also would say don't do it. Maybe that is hard to gauge ahead of time, but forming a relationship with a professor before the start of school could be really useful (but I'm a 0L so what do I know.)

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:02 pm

It might not help you get into law school, but if it's a clinic at a T-14 you'll probably make some connections that would be nice to have when you are looking for jobs later on.

Dbate

Postby Dbate » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:23 pm

The way your law school application is evaluated: LSAT, GPA, work experience, whatever peace corps, law school internship, non-cancer curing stuff you happened to do before you entered law school.

How true is this? I mean will law schools admit a person with like a 3.6 172 and no ECs whatsoever?

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Well, I hate to take this to a level that these things are rarely taken...but since you asked:

Why not do the internship, because, you know, you could learn a thing or two about being an atty/law student? I mean, regardless of whether or not it "helps" you get into law school, wouldn't it just be something interesting and exciting?

Like, instead of doing it so you can leverage some bullshit, you could do it because you genuinely want to help people at the legal clinic...?

Not implying that you're not, but just saying.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Dbate wrote:

How true is this? I mean will law schools admit a person with like a 3.6 172 and no ECs whatsoever?

Yes. Softs become more necessary at the very top schools though, very generally speaking.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”