Joint degrees (dont hate mothaphucks) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jgloster

Bronze

Joint degrees (dont hate mothaphucks)

Post by jgloster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:28 pm

I know a lot of people have negative things to say about joint degrees (ITS JUST ANOTHER WAY FOR LAW SKOOLS TO TAKE URE MONEY BLAH KFJDHJ BLAJFKS sdbjsdSDDDSSDSVfdsdsvddgregr) but as an undergrad econ major who is considering corporate law and other positions in the business world, I have considered getting an MBA or Masters in Finance in addition to my law degree. Not so much because I think it'll improve my chances of getting hired, but to improve connections, get a stronger business background, and also for pure intellectual fulfillment (at least for the masters in finance). Has anyone else done a joint degree? Was it worth it?

QandAphorism

New

Re: Joint degrees (dont hate mothaphucks)

Post by QandAphorism » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:30 pm

jgloster wrote:I know a lot of people have negative things to say about joint degrees (ITS JUST ANOTHER WAY FOR LAW SKOOLS TO TAKE URE MONEY BLAH KFJDHJ BLAJFKS) but as undergrad econ major who is considering corporate law and other positions in the business world, I have considered getting an MBA or Masters in Finance in addition to my law degree. Not so much because I think it'll improve my chances of getting hired, but to improve connections, get a business stronger background, and also for pure intellectual fulfillment (at least for the masters in finance). Has anyone else done a joint degree? Was it worth it?
I would suggest a joint JD/English degree. Sorry, had to take the bait. ;)

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:34 pm

if you just want the knowledge, do a certificate at your local university extension
this one costs $6,000 - http://extension.berkeley.edu/cert/finance.html

if you want to network, think of ways that do not cost tens of thousands of $$.

it's good that you don't want an MBA for additional job prospects, because none exist. Even the top MBA programs have employed at graduation rates of around 70%, and how many people go into an MBA program with a career already well under way (ie, have a Fortune 500 job, that job pays their MBA tuition, they resume working with that company after MBA at a higher salary)? I figure probably around 40-50% of people enter MBA programs with a job already lined up, meaning that even from the top programs, you've got a 50/50 shot of having a job at graduation if you didnt have one already.

Plus as you already know, JD + MBA is usually stupid. The only time it's worth it is if you are working as in house counsel and they want you to have it for some strange reason (and are willing to pay for it).

rpiandrew

New

Post by rpiandrew » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:55 pm

I can't speak too much to JD/MBA but I know very successful lawyers in government who got joint JD/MPP degrees. I think that actually holds a lot of value if you're interesting in working on policy.

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:59 pm

rpiandrew wrote:I can't speak too much to JD/MBA but I know very successful lawyers in government who got joint JD/MPP degrees. I think that actually holds a lot of value if you're interesting in working on policy.
What exactly do these lawyers do? As far as working on policy?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:11 pm

My Kaplan teacher has a JD/MPP. During the day he's a prosecutor.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:27 pm

General Tso wrote:if you just want the knowledge, do a certificate at your local university extension
this one costs $6,000 - http://extension.berkeley.edu/cert/finance.html
No offense, but I'm pretty sure extension classes are not the same as Berkeley's real classes. I went to UCLA undergrad and took a couple of extension courses after I graduated. They were informative, and the professors were awesome---but it just wasn't the same. Extension classes are filled with people ages 18 to 90, some people who are just taking one class for fun or some for the whole certificate. They are usually at night and people who work often couldn't make it. In other words, it won't be the same collegial atmosphere with the same focused student body as the upper-division classes from your undergrad or that of masters program. To me, extension classes are NOT as intellectually valuable as an actual masters program. And, if either of them have any economic value at all (and it's been pointed out here that they probably don't), then a masters is certainly going to win over an extension program.

You need to decide how valuable, intellectually, a masters program would be for you. You need to consider how happy, as a person, studying it would make you, both in school and after. Many people here will tell you its ALL about money and job prospects. But it should be ALL about what makes you happy (often times, yes, that involves jobs and money). But, if you are truly passionate about something, one year of extra debt is not going to follow you for the rest of your life--but the knowledge you gain in that extra year will. For most the benefit just doesn't outweigh the cost---but for the right person it might.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:39 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:You need to decide how valuable, intellectually, a masters program would be for you.
This individual put "dont hate mothaphucks" in his subject header. You sure they're ready to make that type of decision?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:40 pm

ITS JUST ANOTHER WAY FOR LAW SKOOLS TO TAKE URE MONEY BLAH KFJDHJ BLAJFKS sdbjsdSDDDSSDSVfdsdsvddgregr

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:41 pm

ahduth wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:You need to decide how valuable, intellectually, a masters program would be for you.
This individual put "dont hate mothaphucks" in his subject header. You sure they're ready to make that type of decision?
As I said..... don't hate

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:11 am

jgloster wrote:I know a lot of people have negative things to say about joint degrees (ITS JUST ANOTHER WAY FOR LAW SKOOLS TO TAKE URE MONEY BLAH KFJDHJ BLAJFKS sdbjsdSDDDSSDSVfdsdsvddgregr) but as an undergrad econ major who is considering corporate law and other positions in the business world, I have considered getting an MBA or Masters in Finance in addition to my law degree. Not so much because I think it'll improve my chances of getting hired, but to improve connections, get a stronger business background, and also for pure intellectual fulfillment (at least for the masters in finance). Has anyone else done a joint degree? Was it worth it?
Well there are definitely some people (although, take this with a grain of salt) that say it's not worth it unless it's at a top MBA program as well (e.g. Wharton). However, you do have to remember that joint degrees CAN be detrimental, not just neutral. If you do a 3 year instead of 4 year JD/MBA program especially, employers may be inclined to a) doubt that you put in your time at JD, and that b) your MBA is of any worth without work experience.
Of course, the decision is up to you obviously, but I'd say strongly consider doing well in law school first, and then going back to get an MBA after a couple years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”