Waiting on a LoR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
joebloe

Waiting on a LoR

Postby joebloe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:55 pm

So I'm waiting on a prof's letter. I had sent the LSAC form back in Oct., and reminded her in mid-Nov., only to find out she never got the LSAC form. Re-mailed, and she reported having gotten it after Thanksgiving break. When's the soonest I should remind again? Finals week is this week, and deadline for grades is next Weds., so I was thinking a week from tomorrow; I was hoping to get the letter in the mail by the 31st.

By the way, I noticed that I can assign unreceived letters to apps. What happens if I submit an app that has unreceived letters assigned to it to fulfill the LoR requirements? If it'll take (and the school will hold for the LoR), will I be in better shape than if I wait for the letter to get processed before I submit?

(p.s. I am aware that the lost first letter is at least a yellow flag about the recommender.)

krad

Re: Waiting on a LoR

Postby krad » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:59 pm

joebloe wrote:So I'm waiting on a prof's letter. I had sent the LSAC form back in Oct., and reminded her in mid-Nov., only to find out she never got the LSAC form. Resent, and she reported having gotten it after Thanksgiving break. When's the soonest I should remind again? Finals week is this week, and deadline for grades is next Weds., so I was thinking a week from tomorrow; I was hoping to get the letter in my file by the 31st.

By the way, I noticed that I can assign unreceived letters to apps. What happens if I submit an app that has unreceived letters assigned to it to fulfill the LoR requirements? If it'll take (and the school will hold for the LoR), will I be in better shape than if I wait for the letter to get processed before I submit?

EDIT: I am aware that the lost first letter is at least a yellow flag about the recommender.

If the school requires a certain # of letters, your app will be incomplete until the LOR is sent. LSAC will auto send the LOR to schools that you have assigned it to once the LOR arrives. If the school does not require LORs, they may not hold the app and it could become complete/go under review without the letter, so be sure to check before submitting your app.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:51 am

joebloe wrote:So I'm waiting on a prof's letter. I had sent the LSAC form back in Oct., and reminded her in mid-Nov., only to find out she never got the LSAC form. Re-mailed, and she reported having gotten it after Thanksgiving break. When's the soonest I should remind again? Finals week is this week, and deadline for grades is next Weds., so I was thinking a week from tomorrow; I was hoping to get the letter in the mail by the 31st.

(p.s. I am aware that the lost first letter is at least a yellow flag about the recommender.)

Unfortunately, a week from tomorrow (the day after final grades are due next week?) isn't a good timeline. Finals are the busiest time for professors and there is a lot of grading. I think you should give them at least an additional week from after grades are due. I would maybe send a soft/friendly reminder, and ask if a week or two from the end of grades being due would be a possibility. Also, if they fax the letter it will get there much quicker.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:21 pm

krad wrote:If the school requires a certain # of letters, your app will be incomplete until the LOR is sent. LSAC will auto send the LOR to schools that you have assigned it to once the LOR arrives. If the school does not require LORs, they may not hold the app and it could become complete/go under review without the letter, so be sure to check before submitting your app.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for helping to clear that up!

Knock wrote:Unfortunately, a week from tomorrow (the day after final grades are due next week?) isn't a good timeline. Finals are the busiest time for professors and there is a lot of grading. I think you should give them at least an additional week from after grades are due. I would maybe send a soft/friendly reminder, and ask if a week or two from the end of grades being due would be a possibility. Also, if they fax the letter it will get there much quicker.

Thanks for your advice: exactly what I was needed to hear. I wouldn't have thought that profs would still have grading to do after the grades deadline. Ah well, I guess that gives me more time to work on my personal statements. :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”