last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:42 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:White/Black counts as URM (like AA, NA with tribal affiliations, PA and MA)? Damn, its like all the whites at HYP claiming they are hispanics because they are from Brazil or Argentina, or Black because they are from South Africa, Nigeria, etc, despite the fact that they are not from lower socioeconomic circumstances.


LMAO! I wonder if Booker T Washington tried telling White people that back when he was alive!!!

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby glitter178 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:45 pm

chrissyc wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:White/Black counts as URM (like AA, NA with tribal affiliations, PA and MA)? Damn, its like all the whites at HYP claiming they are hispanics because they are from Brazil or Argentina, or Black because they are from South Africa, Nigeria, etc, despite the fact that they are not from lower socioeconomic circumstances.


i don't get you.


if it were about socioeconomic circumstances and not about ethnicity, then wouldn't law schools just cut to the chase and ask about socioeconomic circumstances? there are plenty of poor white people.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:45 pm

It aborts, URM is analogus in LS to UG save for more constraints on usage. Nevermind.

User avatar
mfeller2
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby mfeller2 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Ruh Roh! I smell AA debate. dissonance you new here, aren't you?

User avatar
chrissyc
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby chrissyc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:47 pm

glitter178 wrote:
chrissyc wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:White/Black counts as URM (like AA, NA with tribal affiliations, PA and MA)? Damn, its like all the whites at HYP claiming they are hispanics because they are from Brazil or Argentina, or Black because they are from South Africa, Nigeria, etc, despite the fact that they are not from lower socioeconomic circumstances.


i don't get you.


if it were about socioeconomic circumstances and not about ethnicity, then wouldn't law schools just cut to the chase and ask about socioeconomic circumstances? there are plenty of poor white people.


I don't get it. do you think that black/white is not URM? maybe i'm dense but i don't get the point you're trying to make.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:47 pm

.
Last edited by dissonance1848 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12383
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby gdane » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:48 pm

Goddamn it!

Get back on topic guys. Come on.

Chrissy, just send out apps everywhere and maybe you'll get lucky.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:51 pm

There are two seperate categories: URMs, and diversity boosts.

URMs are the following: African American, Puerto Rican American, Mexican American, and Native American with tribal affiliations. These people get huge boosts for LSAT, can have much lower GPAs, and get a overall massive shot. Example: 165/3.6 African American is getting into Havard, need a 173+/3.9+ for a White/non-hispanic to get in.

Diversity: Native American without tribal affiliations, biracial (white/black), hispanic (but not Puerto Rican or Mexican), different sexual orientation (gay, bi, transgender), first to college, etc.
They get some boost, especially if app is with a diversity statement that is tailored to schools.

gdane is quite right, I've derailed the thread, my bad, fuck.
Last edited by dissonance1848 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:52 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Race is still a shorthand hueristic for socioeconomic status. For LS and UG, I suspect there are issues of diversity as well as class bias, and the problem of potential class action lawsuits (ala, why don't poor whites get a fair shake).

why dont you use the search function and read up on the discussions made, then start your own thread in the lobby.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:54 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:There are two seperate categories: URMs, and diversity boosts.

URMs are the following: African American, Puerto Rican American, Mexican American, and Native American with tribal affiliations. These people get huge boosts for LSAT, can have much lower GPAs, and get a overall massive shot. Example: 165/3.6 African American is getting into Havard, need a 173+/3.9+ for a White/non-hispanic to get in.

Diversity: Native American without tribal affiliations, biracial (white/black), hispanic (but not Puerto Rican or Mexican), different sexual orientation (gay, bi, transgender), first to college, etc.
They get some boost, especially if app is with a diversity statement that is tailored to schools.

gdane is quite right, I've derailed the thread, my bad, fuck.

Im pretty sure biracial is the same as black and NA without tribal affiliation is the same as tribal at most schools.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 pm

.
Last edited by dissonance1848 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chrissyc
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby chrissyc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:59 pm

OGR3 wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:White/Black counts as URM (like AA, NA with tribal affiliations, PA and MA)? Damn, its like all the whites at HYP claiming they are hispanics because they are loaded from Brazil or Argentina, or Black because they are from rich families in South Africa, Nigeria, etc.


That's not similar at all, but thanks for the input.

dissonance...you're as fucking dense as a door knob. are you telling me that you KNOW about my life? my white father wanted nothing to do with me...ever. I lived in shit holes me entire life because my black mother was strung out on drugs and barely even had somewhere to sleep each night. you don't know a damn thing about me. so if everyone in my life is going to refer to me as "the black girl" then you're damn right i'm a URM. that has been my experience since birth and it isn't going to change when it can finally benefit me. watch what you say because you don't know a damn thing about my socioeconomic status. why would i now be considered anything other than what others have used to judge me in the past?
Last edited by chrissyc on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby glitter178 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:03 pm

chrissyc wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:White/Black counts as URM (like AA, NA with tribal affiliations, PA and MA)? Damn, its like all the whites at HYP claiming they are hispanics because they are loaded from Brazil or Argentina, or Black because they are from rich families in South Africa, Nigeria, etc.


That's not similar at all, but thanks for the input.

dissonance...you're as fucking dense as a door knob. are you telling me that you KNOW about my life? my white father wanted nothing to do with me...ever. I lived in shit holes me entire life because my black mother was strung out on drugs and barely even had somewhere to sleep each night. you don't know a damn thing about me. so if everyone in my life is going to refer to me as "the black girl" then you're damn right i'm a URM. that has been my experience since birth and it isn't going to change when it can finally benefit me. watch what you say because you don't know a damn thing about what i'm going through.


calm down. of course no one knows who you are or what you've gone through, but i've seen talk like this result in being banned. also, it's an internet forum and we're all a bit more cavalier with what we say because the internet cloaks us in anonymity. (ps i am not justifying any person or side, just saying i've seen people get banned before and pre-warning you)

User avatar
chrissyc
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby chrissyc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:06 pm

glitter178 wrote:
chrissyc wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:White/Black counts as URM (like AA, NA with tribal affiliations, PA and MA)? Damn, its like all the whites at HYP claiming they are hispanics because they are loaded from Brazil or Argentina, or Black because they are from rich families in South Africa, Nigeria, etc.


That's not similar at all, but thanks for the input.

dissonance...you're as fucking dense as a door knob. are you telling me that you KNOW about my life? my white father wanted nothing to do with me...ever. I lived in shit holes me entire life because my black mother was strung out on drugs and barely even had somewhere to sleep each night. you don't know a damn thing about me. so if everyone in my life is going to refer to me as "the black girl" then you're damn right i'm a URM. that has been my experience since birth and it isn't going to change when it can finally benefit me. watch what you say because you don't know a damn thing about what i'm going through.


calm down. of course no one knows who you are or what you've gone through, but i've seen talk like this result in being banned. also, it's an internet forum and we're all a bit more cavalier with what we say because the internet cloaks us in anonymity. (ps i am not justifying any person or side, just saying i've seen people get banned before and pre-warning you)



I just HATE HATE HATE HATE ignorance of that sort. people who say things that make no sense in order to undermine someone else's accomplishments. I don't even understand WHY someone would make such an absurd remark.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby glitter178 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:08 pm

well, at the end of the day, i think we've all given you what you asked for as far as other options to apply. try to get those apps in as soon as possible, i am sure you'll have a great cycle.

User avatar
chrissyc
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby chrissyc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:10 pm

glitter178 wrote:well, at the end of the day, i think we've all given you what you asked for as far as other options to apply. try to get those apps in as soon as possible, i am sure you'll have a great cycle.



Thanks you're sweet. I'm definitely doing Berkeley...I applied UVA as well. Georgetown is out...U Penn I'm not certain.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:11 pm

chrissyc wrote:
glitter178 wrote:well, at the end of the day, i think we've all given you what you asked for as far as other options to apply. try to get those apps in as soon as possible, i am sure you'll have a great cycle.



Thanks you're sweet. I'm definitely doing Berkeley...I applied UVA as well. Georgetown is out...U Penn I'm not certain.

Sorry I didnt read every post so this may have been covered, but please get a Stanford app in.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12383
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby gdane » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:14 pm

chrissyc wrote: Georgetown is out...

We're not friends anymore... :D

To chime in one last time, I wouldnt get too cocky. I would blanket the top 14 and take no schools acceptance for granted. Especially this late in the cycle.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:06 pm

gdane5 wrote:
chrissyc wrote: Georgetown is out...

We're not friends anymore... :D

To chime in one last time, I wouldnt get too cocky. I would blanket the top 14 and take no schools acceptance for granted. Especially this late in the cycle.


With the OP's profile it really won't matter. If he/she get's rejected it will be because of yp or some huge mistake in OP's application. Timing of application really won't matter for HYS anyway.

User avatar
chrissyc
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby chrissyc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:47 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
gdane5 wrote:
chrissyc wrote: Georgetown is out...

We're not friends anymore... :D

To chime in one last time, I wouldnt get too cocky. I would blanket the top 14 and take no schools acceptance for granted. Especially this late in the cycle.


With the OP's profile it really won't matter. If he/she get's rejected it will be because of yp or some huge mistake in OP's application. Timing of application really won't matter for HYS anyway.


why do you say timing won't matter? and what does yp mean?
BruceWayne wrote:
gdane5 wrote:
chrissyc wrote: Georgetown is out...

We're not friends anymore... :D

To chime in one last time, I wouldnt get too cocky. I would blanket the top 14 and take no schools acceptance for granted. Especially this late in the cycle.


With the OP's profile it really won't matter. If he/she get's rejected it will be because of yp or some huge mistake in OP's application. Timing of application really won't matter for HYS anyway.


I wasn't trying to be cocky...I'm trying to minimize the expense. I am paying out of pocket.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby James Bond » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:48 pm

The credited response, chrissy, is "Pics"

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12383
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby gdane » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Chrissy, I understand that youre paying out of pocket, but law school admissions is not the place to be cheap. We're talking about the opportunity to get into some of the best schools in the country.

Get a credit card and apply apply apply apply. Provided your LSAT score is as close to the 167 youre predicting, you can get money from schools.

Dont shortchange yourself.

Edit: Apply to Georgetown!
Last edited by gdane on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby James Bond » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:56 pm

gdane5 wrote:Chrissy, I understand that youre paying out of pocket, but law school admissions is not the place to be cheap. We're talking about the opportunity to get into some of the best schools in the country.

Get a credit card and apply apply apply apply. Provided your LSAT score is as close to the 167 youre predicting, you can get money from schools.

Dont shortchange yourself.


The poor guy advocates racking up credit :lol:

Gdane's right in that low schools admissions is not the place to be cheap, however. Also, ask for fee wavers. You'd be surprised how many give them just for asking. Oh, and post pics.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:55 pm

why do you say timing won't matter? and what does yp mean? [/quote]

I say it won't matter for HYS because they don't really give a boost for applying early. That said don't wait until April or something ridiculous like that. YP means yield protect; some schools may think that you won't attend if accepted and will waitlist you. Even if that does happen you can rectify that by sending a letter explaining how interested you are in the school. Frankly OP you have a great shot at any law school in the country as long as you score a 162 or better.

User avatar
chrissyc
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: last 1-2 schools..HELP DECIDE. UVA, Georgetown, U Penn, or..

Postby chrissyc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:03 pm

BruceWayne wrote:why do you say timing won't matter? and what does yp mean?


I say it won't matter for HYS because they don't really give a boost for applying early. That said don't wait until April or something ridiculous like that. YP means yield protect; some schools may think that you won't attend if accepted and will waitlist you. Even if that does happen you can rectify that by sending a letter explaining how interested you are in the school. Frankly OP you have a great shot at any law school in the country as long as you score a 162 or better.[/quote]

yay!! thanks for your vote of confidence. I am quite pleased with my PS, DS, and yale 250. I submitted harvard and yale today. uva, duke, nyu, and university of chicago as well. I'll apply to Berkeley, U Penn, Columbia, and Cornell.

Then Stanford once my scores are available since the date doesn't matter as much.

Thanks everyone for responding. It helps me out a lot!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chili_davis, jjcorvino and 4 guests