Fordham or Texas Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Zeile

Bronze

Fordham or Texas

Post by Zeile » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:16 am

What's the better school for career prospects? I know UT seems obvious, but Fordham seems to place more people in the NLJ 250...
Last edited by Zeile on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

megaTTTron

Silver

Re: Fordham or Texas

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:17 am

Zeile wrote:What's the better school for career prospects?
In what state?

Zeile

Bronze

Post by Zeile » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:17 am

Overall...

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:20 am

in this economy, texas places better.....

easternstandardtime1

New

Post by easternstandardtime1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:23 am

Last edited by easternstandardtime1 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:05 am

Zeile wrote:What's the better school for career prospects? I know UT seems obvious, but Fordham seems to place more people in the NLJ 250...
IIRC, Brian Leiter stated that the reason for this is that there are very few (zero?) NLJ 250 firms located in Texas, and many (most) Texas grads stay in Texas. You can still get a $160k/yr job in Texas, even w/out Biglaw. The earnings ceiling probably isn't as high, but you won't have any state income tax and could conceivably move laterally later in your career (bringing Texas-based clientele with you).

ITE, in-state tuition for Texas annihilates anything short of a full ride at Fordham. You don't necessarily have to be a resident to qualify for the in-state tuition (read up on this on their website), and I believe you can establish residency in a year.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:20 am

If you want to work in NYC, Fordham. Texas for anywhere else though.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:28 am

DreamShake wrote:IIRC, Brian Leiter stated that the reason for this is that there are very few (zero?) NLJ 250 firms located in Texas,

If he said that, he has no idea what he is talking about. There are several.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:02 am

kalvano wrote:
DreamShake wrote:IIRC, Brian Leiter stated that the reason for this is that there are very few (zero?) NLJ 250 firms located in Texas,

This. Unless, several = a few.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:38 am

You can't get a 160k job in Texas without biglaw- with the small exception of firms like Sussman.

There are quite a few NLJ250 firms in Texas- and several V100 firms based there.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:46 am

kalvano wrote:

He (Leiter) obvs meant few comparatively speaking, and DreamShake obvs added the "(zero?)" bit on his own. Leiter isn't that stupid.

Lawless25

New

Post by Lawless25 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:53 am

to even ask this question you have to be dumb....I am surprised they accepted you. The first fact we must know is Where do you want to work? Secondly, what type of law?
If you want to stay in Texas go to Texas. If you would like to do Immigration law, stay in Texas. If you want to live in NY, go to Fordham. I would seriously doubt though that they accept you.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:54 am

Lawless25 wrote:to even ask this question you have to be dumb....I am surprised they accepted you. The first fact we must know is Where do you want to work? Secondly, what type of law?
If you want to stay in Texas go to Texas. If you would like to do Immigration law, stay in Texas. If you want to live in NY, go to Fordham. I would seriously doubt though that they accept you.
unnecessary....OP was just asking :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Zeile

Bronze

Post by Zeile » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Even for the rest of the east coast Texas>>>Fordham???

Zeile

Bronze

Post by Zeile » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Lawless25 wrote:to even ask this question you have to be dumb....I am surprised they accepted you. The first fact we must know is Where do you want to work? Secondly, what type of law?
Wow

Zeile

Bronze

Post by Zeile » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:07 pm

And I haven't been accepted. However I have a 3.9+ GPA and a 167 LSAT. I have enough dough to apply to one more school and I've been debating between Fordham and Texas. I want the east coast, but I prefer, DC, Philly, Pittsburgh and Boston to NYC -- though I don't dislike NYC.

jetsfan

New

Post by jetsfan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Zeile wrote:And I haven't been accepted. However I have a 3.9+ GPA and a 167 LSAT. I have enough dough to apply to one more school and I've been debating between Fordham and Texas. I want the east coast, but I prefer, DC, Philly, Pittsburgh and Boston to NYC -- though I don't dislike NYC.
Pittsburgh? Why?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Zeile

Bronze

Post by Zeile » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:16 pm

jetsfan wrote:
Zeile wrote:And I haven't been accepted. However I have a 3.9+ GPA and a 167 LSAT. I have enough dough to apply to one more school and I've been debating between Fordham and Texas. I want the east coast, but I prefer, DC, Philly, Pittsburgh and Boston to NYC -- though I don't dislike NYC.
Pittsburgh? Why?
I like the people, neighborhoods and sweet COL and my so has family there, too.

FreddyBigShot

New

Post by FreddyBigShot » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm kind of interested in this as well. And what if we throw UCLA and Vandy ( the other supra-regionals) into the mix as well? Would going to UCLA, UT or Vandy over Fordham be a good idea if the east coast generally is your target market? Obviously Fordham is better for NYC, but is it THAT much better than those three? And what about for DC and Philly, etc?

jetsfan

New

Post by jetsfan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Zeile wrote:
jetsfan wrote:
Pittsburgh? Why?
I like the people, neighborhoods and sweet COL and my so has family there, too.
That makes sense, I was just surprised because it's nothing like DC, Philly, Boston, or NYC.

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:44 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
kalvano wrote:

He (Leiter) obvs meant few comparatively speaking, and DreamShake obvs added the "(zero?)" bit on his own. Leiter isn't that stupid.
Ignorance does not equate to stupidity; the question mark is obviously there because my memory is hazy on the issue and I was uncertain. Note the "IIRC."

This is the article I was too lazy to search for last night: http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008job_biglaw.shtml
Brian Leiter wrote:Houston is one of the five biggest cities in the United States, but one has to get into the 40s on the Vault listing before Houston-based firms turn up. (This also, I'm sure, explains the results for the University of Texas in the current study, compared to the earlier studies of national placement: until recently, the student body was 80% Texas residents, who overwhelmingly prefer to enter the major legal markets in Houston and Dallas, which UT dominates. Contrast that with schools like Michigan, Virginia, and Vanderbilt, which do not have many high-powered law firms in their local markets as a draw for students.)
I simply misremembered the stratum of firms he was discussing.

Edit: quote fail

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:16 pm

FreddyBigShot wrote:I'm kind of interested in this as well. And what if we throw UCLA and Vandy ( the other supra-regionals) into the mix as well? Would going to UCLA, UT or Vandy over Fordham be a good idea if the east coast generally is your target market? Obviously Fordham is better for NYC, but is it THAT much better than those three? And what about for DC and Philly, etc?
from the NALP directory:
City: Firms at OCI (Fordham/UT/UCLA/Vandy) ->keep in mind, though, that Vandy has a much smaller class size than any of the other 3

NYC: 97/28/29/21
DC: 12/23/15/18
Philly: 3/2/4/1

so basically, unless you're deadset on NYC, you're better off at any of UT/UCLA/Vandy, where your prospects at the other east coast markets are similar/better, but you still get to fall back on each school's main market.

something else to note: if you're able to get into Vandy or UCLA, chances are you got into Cornell as well. In that case, go there.

Maninthebox711

New

Post by Maninthebox711 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:56 pm

I was wondering the same thing about Fordham. I live in the NYC area so would it be prudent to shoot for anything ranked higher than Fordham considering room and board if I don't make a top school like Columbia or Stanford? I've heard that Fordham has a great alumni association in the NYC area.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”