Application Questions....

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hokie

Application Questions....

Postby hokie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:08 am

I have been searching through the forum for answers and have not found much to the following (many of these may seem like stupid negligible items but I still want to get it right):

1) When putting in dates to mean "currently", do you simply write the date until the proposed start of law school or just write "current" and disregard the format?
- i.e. for terms for employment (and/or residence), the app states to use MM/YY format. Do you put
03/06-08/11 or 03/06-Current (and just ignore the MM/YY for the ending date)

2) When adding an addendum for the required Y/N questions, do you put explanations all on one addendum/attachment or make a separate attachement/addendum for each? Also, double space or single (also for the PS)?
-i.e. if you answered yes for questions 24, 26, and 28, do you put one addendum titled "Questions 24-28
Explanations) and write all the answers down or do a separate title/addendum for each question?

On a side note, does anybody know if getting you're license put on probation then suspended due to too many points in Virginia is considered a misdemeanor? I asked the Virginia DMV and the lady said no but very unconvincingly. Then I asked her if she was 100% sure and she said "yea, I'm fairly certain." :roll:

Anyways, thank you in advance to all your answers!

tourdeforcex

Re: Application Questions....

Postby tourdeforcex » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:17 am

1) i just put current
2) attachments, i would put separate, in the end doesn't really matter b/c it's all going onto one PDF. as for spacing, whatever you want as they did not explicitly give directions, though i feel TLS recoil w/: DOUBLE SPACE EVERYTHING BUDDY KTHXBAI

side note: my initial reaction is you already put the effort in and found that it is a "no" but this stuff is serious (not your points, i mean law school and all that) so maybe double check w/ another source? like find out how VA state bar exam defines misdemeanor

i'm sleepy so might not be completely coherent. hope this helps.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:24 am

1. It's standard to just put "to Date" or "to Present" on your resume and applications to indicate that you are still working (or doing something) somewhere and will continue it until further notice. DON'T just put today's date and DON'T put the date you think you will stop working there. One possible exception: your job has a SPECIFIED ending date, like you are on a SPECIFICALLY three month contract---even then its more customary to just say "to Present")

So for example, I started a new job in August. On my resume it is listed as: August 2010 to Present
And on applications (where you rarely, if ever spell out the month because of space constraints) I listed it as "08/2010 to Present"

Sometimes I use "to Date" instead of "to Present". It means the same thing. Most people don't really care as long as it makes sense and you are consistent.

2. Separate the addendums if they are two different issues. For example, bad grades and a criminal offense. Keep them together if they are multiple counts of the same issue. For example, if you have two misdemeanor, put them on the same page. If you are explaining bad grade and bad LSATs, most people say put that on the same page.

When you think about it, it makes sense. These admissions officers see thousands of apps, and, even though it's their job to figure your application out, they will get frustrate if they can't tell EXACTLY what a particular piece of paper is just by looking at it. Clumpling unrelated things together is just confusing and difficult to digest.

I have two addendums (what is the plural of that word anyway?), one for a misdemeanor and one for a bad, downward grade trend. Each addendum is it's own file. I titled the page for each one and underlined the title.

If you have more questions or want to see mine, feel free to pm me.

hokie

Postby hokie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:38 am

thanks for all the quick responses; it has definitely been a great help!

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:06 am

NorCalBruin wrote:I have two addendums (what is the plural of that word anyway?)

I think addendi.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:09 am

make sure your name and lsac number is on top of every attachment other than resume ( your name is on it anyways).

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:09 am

ISTAND wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:I have two addendums (what is the plural of that word anyway?)

I think addendi.

Are you serious?

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:16 am

sophia.olive wrote:
ISTAND wrote:

I think addendi.

Are you serious?

I recently read it in a Dean's Q and A lol. That's the word she used!

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:56 am

ISTAND wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
ISTAND wrote:

I think addendi.

Are you serious?

I recently read it in a Dean's Q and A lol. That's the word she used!

I hope she is wrong I have been using addenda for years.. :oops:

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:16 am

sophia.olive wrote:

Oops you're right! I double checked, it's addenda :D

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:43 am

ISTAND wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:

Oops you're right! I double checked, it's addenda :D

Yeah, it is def. addenda. Although, I like the way addendi sounds.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:57 am

lalalawya wrote:
Yeah, it is def. addenda. Although, I like the way addendi sounds.

I do too! Addenda sounds dumba.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”