Will my controversial videos hinder my admissions chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wachtellmemore

Will my controversial videos hinder my admissions chances?

Postby wachtellmemore » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi there,

I'm applying in fall 2011 for class of '15. Do you think a controversial video I produced and posted on Youtube will hinder my admissions chances?

Background: After graduating from college in '08, I started a video production company and produced several comedy videos which I then posted on video-sharing sites such as Youtube and Dailymotion. One video, in particular, advertises a self-defense technique for women in which they are supposed to talk to their rapists about commitment issues, thereby scaring the attackers away. A feminist culture blog wrote an article criticizing the video and there are critical comments about the video on its Youtube page.

Do you think an admissions officer would take the time to look through all my videos, find this particular video, and then see the negative comments?

Do you think an admissions officer would care or be negatively swayed by such comments and/or the nature of my video?

If you think the video will impact my admissions potential, do you think I should remove it from Youtube? I worry this may make it seem as though I am "covering something up".

My stats:

3.58 from an Ivy
English major
LSAT: TBD but testing at around 170
2 years work experience in public relations and started a video production company

Thanks for your input!

jblev2

Re: Will my controversial videos hinder my admissions chances?

Postby jblev2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:16 pm

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:21 pm

wachtellmemore wrote:Hi there,

I'm applying in fall 2011 for class of '15. Do you think a controversial video I produced and posted on Youtube will hinder my admissions chances?

Background: After graduating from college in '08, I started a video production company and produced several comedy videos which I then posted on video-sharing sites such as Youtube and Dailymotion. One video, in particular, advertises a self-defense technique for women in which they are supposed to talk to their rapists about commitment issues, thereby scaring the attackers away. A feminist culture blog wrote an article criticizing the video and there are critical comments about the video on its Youtube page.

Do you think an admissions officer would take the time to look through all my videos, find this particular video, and then see the negative comments?

Do you think an admissions officer would care or be negatively swayed by such comments and/or the nature of my video?

If you think the video will impact my admissions potential, do you think I should remove it from Youtube? I worry this may make it seem as though I am "covering something up".

My stats:

3.58 from an Ivy
English major
LSAT: TBD but testing at around 170
2 years work experience in public relations and started a video production company

Thanks for your input!
Graduated from an Ivy AND politically incorrect? Gotsta be flame.

Srsly though just kill the LSAT and someone'll take you. If Michigan will take that dude who went to/was in prison or whatever his story was, a couple of MVP and maybe a CCN will take a 172/3.58 who made an 'insensitive' video (assuming they even find out about it, and then assuming further they care at all once they do find out). Study harder though; 170 is shaky ground.

jgloster

Postby jgloster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:06 am

WTF nigka, just take the video down

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:09 am

jgloster wrote:WTF nigka, just take the video down

Yeah, seriously. If you're that worried about it?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:12 am

Only if you keep bringing it to their attention by posting details about the video on law school websites.

wachtellmemore

Postby wachtellmemore » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Stratocophic: I'm shooting for higher. I'm taking the June test and plan to start seriously studying around Feb.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:25 pm

wachtellmemore wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys.

Stratocophic: I'm shooting for higher. I'm taking the June test and plan to start seriously studying around Feb.
Good plan. 8 hours a day of Powerscore Bibles for a few months and about 20-30 PTs netted me my score, and I can say that dedication'll go further than any prep course ever invented.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:28 pm

OP - pull the videos and stop talking about them. Ad Coms have definitely been known to look at things like this. Why take the chance?

Duragon

Postby Duragon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:55 pm

Duragon wrote:Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

Only credited if you don't need something from " 'em ". In this case, you need them to not think you're a misogynistic douchebag. And those "comedy" videos don't sound like it's helping OP's case.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:35 pm

nygrrrl wrote:OP - pull the videos and stop talking about them. Ad Coms have definitely been known to look at things like this. Why take the chance?

Credited. Very credited.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”