Has anyone ever asked for a fee waiver?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chrissyc

Re: Has anyone ever asked for a fee waiver?

Postby chrissyc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:56 am

has anyone received one (by sending in an email, not through LSAC) from...

1. harvard
2. yale
3. columbia
4. cornell
5. northwestern
6. u penn
7. uva
8. duke
9. nyu

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:04 pm

I have an LSAC waiver plus a few unsolicited email waivers. I wanted to throw an app Howard's way as an EXTREME safety net, so I asked them to give me a fee waiver and they did. I didnt even mention my low GPA and got it.

Go for it. Worst case scenario they say no and you are exactly where you started out. Best case scenario you get to apply for $12

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:36 pm

chrissyc wrote:has anyone received one (by sending in an email, not through LSAC) from...

1. harvard
2. yale
3. columbia
4. cornell
5. northwestern
6. u penn
7. uva
8. duke
9. nyu

I received one from Harvard, Columbia, Yale (didn't ask northwestern or u penn) UVA gave me one; Duke said they would send me one after my LSAT scores were released, NYU gave me one.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:39 pm

chrissyc wrote:has anyone received one (by sending in an email, not through LSAC) from...

1. harvard - no fee waivers unless through CRS?
2. yale - no fee waivers unless through CRS?
3. columbia - it's possible...try
4. cornell - said no to me
5. northwestern - solicited
6. u penn - solicited
7. uva - solicited
8. duke - you have to be living in poverty to get a need-based waiver...the requirements are ridiculous
9. nyu - no idea...you can probably solicit

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:42 pm

DukeCornell wrote:

1. harvard
2. yale
3. columbia
4. cornell
5. northwestern
6. u penn
7. uva
8. duke
9. nyu

I received one from Harvard, Columbia, Yale (didn't ask northwestern or u penn) UVA gave me one; Duke said they would send me one after my LSAT scores were released, NYU gave me one.

so, did they give them to you before your scores were released? my score is from Dec so i don't know it yet.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:53 pm

chrissyc wrote:
DukeCornell wrote:

1. harvard
2. yale
3. columbia
4. cornell
5. northwestern
6. u penn
7. uva
8. duke
9. nyu

so, did they give them to you before your scores were released? my score is from Dec so i don't know it yet.

Yes, I received 31 fee waivers this week (pre December scores). I can PM you my list if you want. (I'm only applying to the schools that waive my fee, save Cornell.)

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:59 pm

This is totally inaccurate. Both Harvard and Yale waive my fee. However, Yale did send me a form (looks like it'll take two minutes to complete), but they were clear in saying "we're waiving your fee," and "There is no need to get back in touch with us regarding whether it has been approved -- we will be in touch with you via e-mail if we have any questions." :roll: But they waived it. lol
Last edited by DukeCornell on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:03 pm

I asked for one from Duke and they gave me one.
Penn and cornell, no.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:06 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:I asked for one from Duke and they gave me one.
Penn and cornell, no.

Did Duke give you yours before your scores were released? They told me I had to wait. If so, maybe I should check again.

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Man, I'm a little irked Georgetown gave fee waivers to so many people that asked but told me they only give them out through CRS searches. :O

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:15 pm

DukeCornell wrote:

This is totally inaccurate. Both Harvard and Yale waive my fee. However, Yale did send me a form (looks like it'll take two minutes to complete), but they were clear in saying "we're waiving your fee," and "There is no need to get back in touch with us regarding whether it has been approved -- we will be in touch with you via e-mail if we have any questions." :roll: But they waived it. lol

Did you apply for those waivers as need-based?

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:18 pm

czelede wrote:Man, I'm a little irked Georgetown gave fee waivers to so many people that asked but told me they only give them out through CRS searches. :O

They told me that as well; one of the many reasons I have a personal loathing for Georgetown.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Update: I had to send Cornell three emails, but I just got it. I'm Done. :mrgreen:

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:18 pm

DukeCornell wrote:
Penn and cornell, no.

Did Duke give you yours before your scores were released? They told me I had to wait. If so, maybe I should check again.

how long did it take for your fee waivers to be processed?

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:41 pm

chrissyc wrote:
DukeCornell wrote:
Penn and cornell, no.

It was different depending on who I solicited. LSAC took a few days. First they conditionally approved me, and then they change it to approved. I think that process took seven days total. With regard to me asking individual schools, many schools emailed me a long ass code to plug in (telling me to do it myself), other schools said that they had handled things on their end and once I hit "send" it would zero out- and it did, a few schools did something after I gave them my LSAC ID, then my App fee went to "0." Duke told me I had to wait until my scores were released, but they did send me some brochures and shit in the mail (I think I should try submitting my app and see what happens). Cornell took the longest. I had to ask three people, no one would do anything. At my third email the Administrative Assistant, Connie sent me the "I guess you're going to keep bugging the hell out of us" email, letting me know that things had been handled on their end and all I had to do was hit send. Other schools (the TT) sent me emails in weeks before the December LSAT saying that there was a free app window(from x date to y date) and they really wanted me to apply. (I didn't count these schools in my aforementioned numbers because I didn't apply.)

Note: In all of this shit I have learned, everything is based on WHO you email. Person X at school 1 will say " hell no," (email again) and person Y at school 1 will say "sure...here's the code."

Klogon

Postby Klogon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:51 pm

DukeCornell wrote:
chrissyc wrote:
DukeCornell wrote:
Penn and cornell, no.

It was different depending on who I solicited. LSAC took a few days. First they conditionally approved me, and then they change it to approved. I think that process took seven days total. With regard to me asking individual schools, many schools emailed me a long ass code to plug in (telling me to do it myself), other schools said that they had handled things on their end and once I hit "send" it would zero out- and it did, a few schools did something after I gave them my LSAC ID, then my App fee went to "0." Duke told me I had to wait until my scores were released, but they did send me some brochures and shit in the mail (I think I should try submitting my app and see what happens). Cornell took the longest. I had to ask three people, no one would do anything. At my third email the Administrative Assistant, Connie sent me the "I guess you're going to keep bugging the hell out of us" email, letting me know that things had been handled on their end and all I had to do was hit send. Other schools (the TT) sent me emails in weeks before the December LSAT saying that there was a free app window(from x date to y date) and they really wanted me to apply. (I didn't count these schools in my aforementioned numbers because I didn't apply.)

Note: In all of this shit I have learned, everything is based on WHO you email. Person X at school 1 will say " hell no," (email again) and person Y at school 1 will say "sure...here's the code."

Wow, I'm so glad I found this list. I was just about to create a topic about this very question.

So I took my Oct LSAT but scored 6 points below my PT avg, so retook in Dec. I think I'm going to hit about average this time around, but I was worried about how to request for fee waivers when the scores come out so late. Although I will definitely take the need-based approach, I am thinking a strong LSAT would help my case more. But hearing that it takes 7 days after the LSAT comes out makes me wonder if it'll be too late to wait for the score.

My undergrad GPA is not so hot at a 3.4 from Penn with a strong upward trend. And with my relatively weak LSAT for T14, I am not sure if they'll give me a fee-waiver unless I can "prove" myself with my killer Dec LSAT score. But by then, it'd be too late. That was my fear.

So how did you word your requests? Did you share stats(I would assume so)? If that was your first LSAT, did you just say you were expecting a 17X score or something?
And do you care if I could get a list of the schools you got the waivers from and who you contacted?

nchopeful87

Postby nchopeful87 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 pm

Amorfati posted this a couple of days ago,

Dear Sir or Madam:

My name is x, and I am currently in the process of applying to X Law. Your school is one of my top choices, as I am extremely interested in (blah blah blah). I also hope to have the opportunity to participate in the (blah) as well as to work with Professors x, y, and z, whose extensive knowledge with regards to (blah) seems a perfect fit for my interests.

Unfortunately, however, the cost of applications has proven a heavy financial burden, as I am presently also seeking employment. I am therefore writing to inquire as to whether if I might be considered for a merit-based fee waiver. My information is as follows:

ID: L00000000
LSDAS GPA: x
LSAT (10/10): x

I should note that due to seasonal illness and poor test center conditions my October LSAT score fell several points below my practicing average. I will therefore be retaking the test in December, and I hope my new score will provide a more accurate measure of my aptitude. In the meantime, however, I would very much like to submit my application to X, which is otherwise complete.

To that end, please let me know if I might be eligible a fee waiver, or if I can provide any other information that might be helpful. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely

I sent a few requests using a stripped down version of this. I just said that I was applying, gave my stats and requested a waiver. I sent the request to one target and two reaches and got waivers from the target and one of the reaches.
Last edited by nchopeful87 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:11 am

Well, I posted what I had sent out earlier in the thread. Probably sent it to about ten schools before I noticed a typo. Said typo was not spelling, but grammatical and made me sound like a penis. Anyway, all of the schools I have heard back from have granted me fee waivers. Maybe sounding foreign helps.

deakon10

Postby deakon10 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:28 am

I e-mailed my alma mater among a few other schools and they gave it to me within the hour, in some cases.

Sometimes they're very good. I've had good experiences so far (5 schools free so far)

deakon10

Postby deakon10 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:29 am

nchopeful87 wrote:Amorfati posted this a couple of days ago,

Dear Sir or Madam:

My name is x, and I am currently in the process of applying to X Law. Your school is one of my top choices, as I am extremely interested in (blah blah blah). I also hope to have the opportunity to participate in the (blah) as well as to work with Professors x, y, and z, whose extensive knowledge with regards to (blah) seems a perfect fit for my interests.

Unfortunately, however, the cost of applications has proven a heavy financial burden, as I am presently also seeking employment. I am therefore writing to inquire as to whether if I might be considered for a merit-based fee waiver. My information is as follows:

ID: L00000000
LSDAS GPA: x
LSAT (10/10): x

I should note that due to seasonal illness and poor test center conditions my October LSAT score fell several points below my practicing average. I will therefore be retaking the test in December, and I hope my new score will provide a more accurate measure of my aptitude. In the meantime, however, I would very much like to submit my application to X, which is otherwise complete.

To that end, please let me know if I might be eligible a fee waiver, or if I can provide any other information that might be helpful. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely

I sent a few requests using a stripped down version of this. I just said that I was applying, gave my stats and requested a waiver. I sent the request to one target and two reaches and got waivers from the target and one of the reaches.

jeez yea that's like a job cover letter

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:37 am

RJ127 wrote:
DukeCornell wrote:

This is an essential distinction. Virtually any school will give need-based fee waivers. As the name suggests, they're based solely off financial need. If you get them at one school, you should be able to get them anywhere.

Merit-based or CRS fee waivers are given to candidates who have a.) a numerical profile which suggests they would be competitive applicants or b.) no shot at admission numerically, but will get really excited about the fee wavier, apply and get rejected thereby increasing the school's selectivity.

Some schools (HYS and Boalt AFAIK) do not give merit-based waivers. Others are random, arcane, or bizarre in how they do. Cornell, e.g., refused my request via email, but then sent me a letter informing me that I had been granted a waiver. Northwestern, OTOH, granted my request immediately. I am very curious about Columbia as they seem to favor high LSATs and URMs. Has anyone been successful in requesting a CRS waiver from them? How soon after LSAT scores are released do they normally send out the new batch of waivers?

Bear in mind that the email request reflects on your judgment and writing ability and could affect your application. You should be brief and to the point. 1. request the fee waiver, 2. express interest in specific law school, 3. display credentials, 4. reiterate request for fee waiver. If you can't do this in 3-5 sentences, you're going to have a heck of a time in your Legal Writing classes.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:49 am

swampthang wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
DukeCornell wrote:

This is an essential distinction. Virtually any school will give need-based fee waivers. As the name suggests, they're based solely off financial need. If you get them at one school, you should be able to get them anywhere.

Merit-based or CRS fee waivers are given to candidates who have a.) a numerical profile which suggests they would be competitive applicants or b.) no shot at admission numerically, but will get really excited about the fee wavier, apply and get rejected thereby increasing the school's selectivity.

Some schools (HYS and Boalt AFAIK) do not give merit-based waivers. Others are random, arcane, or bizarre in how they do. Cornell, e.g., refused my request via email, but then sent me a letter informing me that I had been granted a waiver. Northwestern, OTOH, granted my request immediately. I am very curious about Columbia as they seem to favor high LSATs and URMs. Has anyone been successful in requesting a CRS waiver from them? How soon after LSAT scores are released do they normally send out the new batch of waivers?

Bear in mind that the email request reflects on your judgment and writing ability and could affect your application. You should be brief and to the point. 1. request the fee waiver, 2. express interest in specific law school, 3. display credentials, 4. reiterate request for fee waiver. If you can't do this in 3-5 sentences, you're going to have a heck of a time in your Legal Writing classes.

Nah, GW, Hastings, and U Chicago are examples of schools that don't give need-based fee waivers....unless they lied to me when I asked lol

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Gotti wrote:Nah, GW, Hastings, and U Chicago are examples of schools that don't give need-based fee waivers....unless they lied to me when I asked lol

Interesting. Maybe they just have a lower threshold for "need" than some of the other schools? Or maybe they also take merit into account? You don't have an LSAC fee wavier do you? Because I'm pretty sure LSAC fee waiver = automatic fee waiver everywhere.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:52 pm

I asked for several fee waivers and found that a few public law schools would not provide need based fee waivers for out of state applicants. It's disappointing, but about a third of the schools I asked complied.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Damn, I forgot about this thread. Okay, I didn't solicit on the grounds of need vs. merit, I simply asked politely. I kept my message(s) short, sweet, and to the point (thinking: they have better shit to do than to read a 5 paragraph cover letter). In all of my messages I did include my LSAC ID, and gave my app cycle. The schools that what wanted specifics asked if it was need or merit. Most schools didn't care. I think this is because I gave them my LSAC ID and they could pull up my info on their own. Word of advice: Don't turn this shit into rocket science, keep it simple. The schools I contacted were more than happy to waive a fucking $80 fee, some more than others.

Also, try emailing the administrative assistants. At some schools, they were surprised to receive an email (I think it made them feel good), as a result, they waived my app fee without question. In addition, they shared valuable inside info about the process at their school (when to vist, when to call, who to contact). I think I'm going to marry one of NYU's administrative assistants. :lol:

Edit: I don't want to post a wall-of-text, so...if you want my list of schools (with my notes), PM me.
Last edited by DukeCornell on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”