Has anyone ever asked for a fee waiver?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bport hopeful

Has anyone ever asked for a fee waiver?

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:39 pm

I guess the title is pretty self explanatory, but I just emailed some of my safety schools asking for fee waivers (because who wants to pay for safety schools) and was wondering if anyone has ever done this and what the outcome was. Could I possibly have offended my way out of my safety schools?

thsmthcrmnl

Re: Has anyone ever asked for a fee waiver?

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:40 pm

I did at several T14s. Worked just fine.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:44 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I guess the title is pretty self explanatory, but I just emailed some of my safety schools asking for fee waivers (because who wants to pay for safety schools) and was wondering if anyone has ever done this and what the outcome was. Could I possibly have offended my way out of my safety schools?

No I asked for almost all my fee waivers...if you haven't gotten merit ones through CRS, they might ask you to fill out some forms and send pay stubs/w-2 to show your financial need, but it def won't turn them off. I got waivers from most of the schools I asked. Look at my lsn profile if you want:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/urvgotti

everything except Northwestern was solicited (well I did get one from NU but I got a CRS one later)

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:51 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I guess the title is pretty self explanatory, but I just emailed some of my safety schools asking for fee waivers (because who wants to pay for safety schools) and was wondering if anyone has ever done this and what the outcome was. Could I possibly have offended my way out of my safety schools?

As long as you don't say saftey school in the email, im sure you are fine. :D

I also asked for them from schools that are not my safties and some complied some didnt. For example I got one from Duke after a couple of email exchanges. He was really nice. Give them your lsac number and stats. The gentleman from Duke said they wouldn't do another LSAC search again until Dec scores came out. So it was good I asked.

lol I just got a phone call from Alabama asking me if I had any questions about the school?
They are really nice as well, and they give out fee waivers.

um... WUSTL gives them out if you ask. SMU, Houston.....

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:03 pm

My answer came within twenty minutes from the dean at one of my schools.

"I cannot imagine how applicants can afford to apply to 20 or more schools! You fee should be waived automatically through LSAC. If you have trouble, please let me know.

Best of luck with the process. "

ak13

Postby ak13 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:09 pm

now, how does one go about structuring that email to not sound...like the only thing you're asking for is a waiver? that was a problem i had at the last forum, trying not to make it sound...greedy i guess.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:15 pm

LOL all I could think of when I read the title is: "Have you ever used the search feature on this website? Have you ever read a topic on this website?"

What a question...

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:18 pm

A. No I havnt used the search feature. I havnt been a member for very long
B. A rational person would simply post a question and have their answer in minutes as opposed to wading through BS
C. Thanks for nothing Dick

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:19 pm

ak13 wrote:now, how does one go about structuring that email to not sound...like the only thing you're asking for is a waiver? that was a problem i had at the last forum, trying not to make it sound...greedy i guess.

It is not greedy. It is expensive to apply to all these schools. You are simply asking that they consider your application for free. It is generally to their advantage to have more people apply. Large pool to select from and the more people they reject and that apply increase the prestige of the school.

You can not expect the school to find every applicant they want to apply to there school. I had one school that did not believe my numbers because I would have come up in one of their searches, so obviously there are reasons that we dont receive some fee waivers other than they dont want us :)

Tell them you would like to apply now but dont have the extra funds. You will apply later when you get the funds but would like to have your application under their review as soon as possible because you were looking at last years decision dates.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:20 pm

ak13 wrote:now, how does one go about structuring that email to not sound...like the only thing you're asking for is a waiver? that was a problem i had at the last forum, trying not to make it sound...greedy i guess.

My name is ------- ------- and I am a senior and I am currently trying to figure out where I am going to apply for law school in the fall. This is becoming increasingly difficult due to financial problems. The University of -------- is one of my top choices, but I am afraid that I will only not be able to afford an application. Because of this, I was wondering if there is anyway that I could be granted an application fee waiver. I scored a --- on the ----- LSAT, placing me above the -- percentile. My LSAC account number is L--------. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to be turning in an application soon.

Copy/Paste/Fill in the blanks

this is literally what I sent to them

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Oh sorry I didnt realize we were being mean to the OP.

Use the search function Punk HEAD.
yes ask for fee waivers

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Depends on your situation. My waivers we're all need-based/CRS. But I structured my need based as so:

To Whom it My Concern,

My name is RJ127 and I am interested in applying to XXXX Law School for Fall 2011. Unfortuantely, my current financial situation has created a hardship for me, and I fear that I will not be able to apply to many schools as a consequence. I current have a X.XX GPA from XXX University and a XXX LSAT score. I want nothing more than the opportunity to pursue a legal education at XXXX Law School. I was hoping to obtain information on receiving a need-based fee waiver in order to alleviate the financial burden I am facing. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter and if there is any supplemental information you may need, please let me know.

Best Regards,

RJ127
XXXX Law School Alumnus, 'XX
LSAC # XXXXXXXX

Most school usually ask you to fill out their own need-based application waiver as well as emailing a copy of a recent tax return/pay stub. It all varies.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:27 pm

bport hopeful wrote: Thanks for nothing Dick

You're welcome, pussy.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 pm

This isnt World of Warcraft, relax.

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Yes.

Some gave me one, some did not.

ak13

Postby ak13 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:35 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:Tell them you would like to apply now but dont have the extra funds. You will apply later when you get the funds but would like to have your application under their review as soon as possible because you were looking at last years decision dates.

cool, thanks, i can do that
...it's so simple... "all i have to do is lie? that's easy"

bport hopeful wrote:My name is ------- ------- and I am a senior and I am currently trying to figure out where I am going to apply for law school in the fall. This is becoming increasingly difficult due to financial problems. The University of -------- is one of my top choices, but I am afraid that I will only not be able to afford an application. Because of this, I was wondering if there is anyway that I could be granted an application fee waiver. I scored a --- on the ----- LSAT, placing me above the -- percentile. My LSAC account number is L--------. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to be turning in an application soon.

i think i'll just copy and leave blank. would that be a bad idea? "i'm looking forward to examing (your college/university here)"

thank you team, i'll be giving it a shot...right now

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:37 pm

I cant tell if you're half serious or completely sarcastic. Either way, I laughed.

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:40 pm

ak13 wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:Tell them you would like to apply now but dont have the extra funds. You will apply later when you get the funds but would like to have your application under their review as soon as possible because you were looking at last years decision dates.

cool, thanks, i can do that
...it's so simple... "all i have to do is lie? that's easy"

bport hopeful wrote:My name is ------- ------- and I am a senior and I am currently trying to figure out where I am going to apply for law school in the fall. This is becoming increasingly difficult due to financial problems. The University of -------- is one of my top choices, but I am afraid that I will only not be able to afford an application. Because of this, I was wondering if there is anyway that I could be granted an application fee waiver. I scored a --- on the ----- LSAT, placing me above the -- percentile. My LSAC account number is L--------. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to be turning in an application soon.

i think i'll just copy and leave blank. would that be a bad idea? "i'm looking forward to examing (your college/university here)"

thank you team, i'll be giving it a shot...right now

Oh well it was true in my case. If you got hundreds of dollars waiting to be spent on something other than food, rent, bills, then by all means pay for the applications.

ak13

Postby ak13 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:45 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I cant tell if you're half serious or completely sarcastic. Either way, I laughed.

that's a problem with message boards...i end up mixing seriousness with sarcasm, but it always comes off as totally dickish, which isn't cool. but no, parts were supposed to be funny, thank you for laughing.

DieAntwoord wrote:Oh well it was true in my case. If you got hundreds of dollars waiting to be spent on something other than food, rent, bills, then by all means pay for the applications.

i mean i sort of do, but i don't want to pay if i don't absolutely have to. frugal millionaire, some might say i'm screwing the economy deeper.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:52 pm

I unfortunately do not fall into that category, but hey, it has worked for one my schools. That's 60 dollars saved.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:59 pm

Dude, email them. I have waivers from 28 schools (so far), pre December LSAT.

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:11 pm

It doesn't hurt to email. But some schools will probably say no (Cornell and Georgetown both said no for me).

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:44 pm

czelede wrote:It doesn't hurt to email. But some schools will probably say no (Cornell and Georgetown both said no for me).

Cornell said no to me, GULC said yes

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:59 pm

czelede wrote:It doesn't hurt to email. But some schools will probably say no (Cornell and Georgetown both said no for me).

Hmmm...Georgetown gave me one with no issue. I haven't heard anything from Cornell, but I'm prepared to pay for that one out of pocket.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:42 am

DukeCornell wrote:

Hmmm...Georgetown gave me one with no issue. I haven't heard anything from Cornell, but I'm prepared to pay for that one out of pocket.

Cornell sucks with fee waivers. I got rejected because I "have the means necessary to apply" (which I really didn't). My boyfriend got the same result and he re-emailed them to appeal that decision and they rejected him again. But then when he tried to submit his application, Cornell had actually approved it lol. Weird.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”