LOCI Before Hearing Back? Unique situation...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

LOCI Before Hearing Back? Unique situation...

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:34 pm

Hey guys, so I'm a 168 3.5 applicant, and last cycle I was accepted to BU, but turned them down, though they were one of my top realistic choices. I decided I wanted to give myself a chance to ride out T14 waitlists and to retake the lsat. Well, I retook this past weekend, and it didn't go too great. I bombed LG and though I did well on the rest of the exam, I really doubt I broke 170.

So BU has now jumped to the top of the schools I want to go to, however I still haven't heard back. Last cycle I was accepted on the 3rd of Dec., so I'm worried that they're put off by me not attending last cycle. I told them last cycle that I wouldn't be attending anywhere due to wanting to save more money (also true).

So, would it help/hurt if I send a loci saying I'm still very interested, though I haven't heard back, and reiterate why I didn't attend last year?

QuailMan
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: LOCI Before Hearing Back? Unique situation...

Postby QuailMan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:50 pm

when did you apply? did you add any information in the new app about what you spent your year doing? Your LSAT should keep you pretty competative. Based on LSN, they sent acceptances this year just before thanksgiving and at the end of last week, so I wouldnt worry too much right now. Maybe start drafting the letter now so it ready to go after their next acceptance cycle is over?

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: LOCI Before Hearing Back? Unique situation...

Postby Mike12188 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:54 pm

When you applied did you let them know you were taking the Dec LSAT? If so, they will hold your app until scores are in.

User avatar
birD
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Re: LOCI Before Hearing Back? Unique situation...

Postby birD » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:54 pm

I think you should. Why wouldn't you? what do you have to lose?

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: LOCI Before Hearing Back? Unique situation...

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:57 pm

Mike12188 wrote:When you applied did you let them know you were taking the Dec LSAT? If so, they will hold your app until scores are in.


LSAC notified them automatically. However all the schools that would hold my file emailed me telling me so.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: LOCI Before Hearing Back? Unique situation...

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:57 pm

birD wrote:I think you should. Why wouldn't you? what do you have to lose?


I don't want it to come off as presumptuous, like "hey why haven't you accepted me yet" sort of deal.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: LOCI Before Hearing Back? Unique situation...

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Bump bumping this up for more opinions.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: LOCI Before Hearing Back? Unique situation...

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:19 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Bump bumping this up for more opinions.



If you think you bombed lg, why not cancel?

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: LOCI Before Hearing Back? Unique situation...

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:Bump bumping this up for more opinions.



If you think you bombed lg, why not cancel?


Because I think I got anywhere from a -4 to a -10 (a huge range) on LG, and the middle ground, a -7, still gives me an outside shot at a 170, depending on the curve. Considering I typically miss -4 to -5 combined on the other 3 sections, and my feeling is I did very well on the rest of the exam, I think it's worth seeing if I lucked out and just edge into a 170.

Either way, not sure how this turned into a "cancel or not". I just need to know if sending a LOCI before hearing back is ever a good idea, or will come off as needy/presumptuous.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beagle Legalis, checkcheckgo, laqueredup and 3 guests