Fordham stats

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gotti

Fordham stats

Postby Gotti » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:23 pm

Question….what do you guys think of this:

I know people on TLS think attending Fordham is a bad decision, but I wanted to get some opinions. It seems that if this were true and if it’s competing fiercely with T14, the law school would be ranked a little higher…?

Source: http://law.fordham.edu/about-fordham/5247.htm

tourdeforcex

Re: Fordham stats

Postby tourdeforcex » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:35 pm

assuming the chart is not extremely biased, first thing i think of is that table must have been built before our current economic situation

so in this economy, say post 2008, i doubt fordham can place as well as they once did. this doesn't refute their strength, well employed fordham grads of prior to 2008. but for those considering law school now...

next, fordham places into NYC primarily. and the general rankings you refer to do not only measure career placement.

finally, fordham posted that chart. let me see another less biased source post that and explain how it was built

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:43 pm

tourdeforcex wrote:assuming the chart is not extremely biased, first thing i think of is that table must have been built before our current economic situation

so in this economy, say post 2008, i doubt fordham can place as well as they once did. this doesn't refute their strength, well employed fordham grads of prior to 2008. but for those considering law school now...

next, fordham places into NYC primarily. and the general rankings you refer to do not only measure career placement.

finally, fordham posted that chart. let me see another less biased source post that and explain how it was built

Well if you click on the link it says the method below the chart:

Methodology: “Top firms” identified using the 2010 AmLaw100 sorted by average partner compensation from the 2010 AmLaw100 Database (Downloadable File) purchased online from the American Lawyer. Law School graduates at top firms identified through “Martindale Hubbell Listings, All” database of LexisNexis, identifying every attorney from any of the top firms who graduated from a particular law school. Retrieved May 2010.

Seems pretty convincing...?

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:54 pm

Schools with bigger class sizes would be overrepresented in that chart. If the chart was the proportion of grads in top firms, the study would be alot less biased. Big class sizes like GULC, GW and Fordham would get a bump in that chart. Nevertheless, Fordham is still the 3rd best school in NYC and a very good school. No matter how much it drops, it will remain the 3rd best school in the city.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”