Possible to stall?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ISTAND

Possible to stall?

Postby ISTAND » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 am

I've been anxious to hear from my ED school but now want to postpone getting their decision so I'll hear back from the other schools first. Is there a tactic?

And if I get accepted by a school before hearing back from my ED can I withdraw that app? I'm afraid they won't offer much $ because we're bound to accept their offer whether it's $1 or $100,000 - something I had not thought of.

jlas000

Re: Possible to stall?

Postby jlas000 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:54 am

Well what school did you ED to? Is that school's ED binding?

krad

Postby krad » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:58 am

ISTAND wrote:I've been anxious to hear from my ED school but now want to postpone getting their decision so I'll hear back from the other schools first. Is there a tactic?

And if I get accepted by a school before hearing back from my ED can I withdraw that app? I'm afraid they won't offer much $ because we're bound to accept their offer whether it's $1 or $100,000 - something I had not thought of.

You probably should have thought of this before applying ED... It's one of the main reasons many people (including myself) decide not to ED- we want to see what kind of $ offers (if any) we receive.

I could be wrong, but: If the ED was binding, I don't really think there is a kosher way to withdraw and attend a different school. Schools can see that you were an ED applicant and most, if not all, will not take you. I believe you have to take a year off and reapply the following year...

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:59 am

never understood people ED'ing to a school they don't want to attend

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:03 am

krad wrote:
ISTAND wrote:I've been anxious to hear from my ED school but now want to postpone getting their decision so I'll hear back from the other schools first. Is there a tactic?

You probably should have thought of this before applying ED... It's one of the main reasons many people (including myself) decide not to ED- we want to see what kind of $ offers (if any) we receive.

I could be wrong, but: If the ED was binding, I don't really think there is a kosher way to withdraw and attend a different school. Schools can see that you were an ED applicant and most, if not all, will not take you. I believe you have to take a year off and reapply the following year...

Yeah I don't see any wiggle room here. I think you're just going to have let the chips fall where they may, and wait another year to try your luck again if you don't like where the chips fall.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:07 am

BlueDiamond wrote:never understood people ED'ing to a school they don't want to attend

I do want to attend it but what if they don't offer money knowing I'm bound to accept their acceptance even without $. That's what I hadn't thought of before.

Can other schools see I applied ED somewhere else? If they accept me before I hear back from the ED can I withdraw my app from the ED (and yes it's binding but doesn't that kick in AFTER I get accepted?)

krad

Postby krad » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:10 am

ISTAND wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:never understood people ED'ing to a school they don't want to attend

I do want to attend it but what if they don't offer money knowing I'm bound to accept their acceptance even without $. That's what I hadn't thought of before.

Can other schools see I applied ED somewhere else? If they accept me before I hear back from the ED can I withdraw my app from the ED (and yes it's binding but doesn't that kick on AFTER I get accepted?)

That is really common, the school knows you will attend, so you have little negotiating room.

I believe ED is the only time that schools can see that you've applied someplace else (besides listing them on the regular apps that ask).

I'm not sure about withdrawing the ED app pre-decision... You could anonymously email the school that you ED'd and ask, but someone on here may know the answer to that.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:13 am

You're going to be a lawyer. Look at the document you signed. I'm pretty sure it basically says "I will matriculate if accepted." Since you haven't been accepted you don't have to matriculate if you withdraw.

I think Northwestern is the only school that doesn't want you to do this.

You should still check with the school first.

jlas000

Postby jlas000 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:15 am

Before you withdraw you should tell us what the schools are that you are considering. How much better is the school you ED to than the one you RD to, that could influence your decision

krad

Postby krad » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:17 am

jlas000 wrote:Before you withdraw you should tell us what the schools are that you are considering. How much better is the school you ED to than the one you RD to, that could influence your decision

I was also wondering this... Is your ED a major reach/much better school than your RDs? Do you think you'd stand a chance at $ from your RDs?

Edit: grammar police

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:24 am

I obviously don't want to name schools considering they may see this and what if they have only a handful of ED's and figure out who I am? I'll say that the school I ED'd is just about what my target is. I really would be happy to go there. However I have also applied to very big reaches where I'm in review for some time now which is giving me hope (although it might be false hope), so I'm picturing getting into the ED and maybe the same day hearing back that I am getting into my super duper top tier reaches. Like one of you said, maybe I should just see where the chips fall and deal with it. As for $ I really don't know whether or not my RDs would offer anything. It all seems like such toss up in my situation :? We'll see :)

LAWWW

Postby LAWWW » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:32 am

I'm also in a similar situation, but have been accepted to my ED school and one of my reaches, I'm not sure what the consequences of withdrawing are though

krad

Postby krad » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:32 am

Well, best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:36 am

krad wrote:Well, best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thanks krad!

---
And to LAWWW I am pretty sure once you have already heard back from ED with an acceptance you are bound by it, I am just not completely sure if you'd have been able to withdraw BEFORE they accepted you. Once they accept you, you HAVE to withdraw your apps from all the other schools even those you haven't heard back from. Did you hear from your reach BEFORE the ED? I'm sure it's tempting to want to ride it out to hear back from all of them but try to make sure you are not breaking any rules for your own sake.
Last edited by ISTAND on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:40 am

LAWWW wrote:I'm also in a similar situation, but have been accepted to my ED school and one of my reaches, I'm not sure what the consequences of withdrawing are though

Considering that you can't withdraw an ED application after acceptance you don't have to worry about the consequences. Your cycle is over.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:44 am

Why did you ED to a target?

LAWWW

Postby LAWWW » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:48 am

I was wondering what the consequences are because they gave me an option to decline the offer of admittance

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:49 am

rayiner wrote:Why did you ED to a target?

Because I was eager to know that I'm in, to seal the deal! I mean there's always a chance someone won't get into their target. I've been out of school for a few years and out of touch with students (was not on this board until recently) and was worried that would be held against me. Basically I wasn't a very informed applicant. But the more I think about it, I think it's only fair I keep to the contract, not withdraw (IF that is a possibility) considering they're reviewing it already, and be happy with whatever outcome I get. If I hear from the other schools first then it was meant to be if not then it was meant to be that way.
Last edited by ISTAND on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:50 am

LAWWW wrote:I was wondering what the consequences are because they gave me an option to decline the offer of admittance

In that case maybe you weren't considered an ED? Did you physically print out the contract, sign it and mail it directly to the school before the deadline? If not, maybe they considered it a regular app. But if they gave you an option to decline then you are free to choose your reach if you so desire.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:54 am

ISTAND wrote:Because I was eager to know that I'm in, to seal the deal! I mean there's always a chance someone won't get into their reach.

You are using the word "reach" in this sentence when previously you described the school as a "target." These are not synonyms. There is nothing wrong with EDing to a reach.

LAWWW

Postby LAWWW » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:58 am

ISTAND wrote:
LAWWW wrote:I was wondering what the consequences are because they gave me an option to decline the offer of admittance

In that case maybe you weren't considered an ED? Did you physically print out the contract, sign it and mail it directly to the school before the deadline? If not, maybe they considered it a regular app. But if they gave you an option to decline then you are free to choose your reach if you so desire.

Yes I did sign the contract, but I turned it in after the deadline after receiving an email from admissions wondering if I still wanted to be considered ED, and the accepted email I received informed me that I was ED, so I was a bit confused about declining the offer or whatever, but thanks for your help

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:59 am

St.Remy wrote:
ISTAND wrote:Because I was eager to know that I'm in, to seal the deal! I mean there's always a chance someone won't get into their reach.

You are using the word "reach" in this sentence when previously you described the school as a "target." These are not synonyms. There is nothing wrong with EDing to a reach.

I noticed it too late, edited after you caught it :) To clarify, I ED'd a target.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”