Yale and Stanford nonsense

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawskyandhutch

Yale and Stanford nonsense

Postby lawskyandhutch » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:37 am

Do we have to have a dean (for Yale and Stanford) and our recommenders (for Stanford) fill out those supplemental forms (found on LSAC under primary application for Yale and Stanford)? This seems like there's a cost and no payoff (or are they trying to screen out lazy people?)

WayBryson

Re: Yale and Stanford nonsense

Postby WayBryson » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:46 am

lawskyandhutch wrote:Do we have to have a dean (for Yale and Stanford) and our recommenders (for Stanford) fill out those supplemental forms (found on LSAC under primary application for Yale and Stanford)? This seems like there's a cost and no payoff (or are they trying to screen out lazy people?)

Yes, we do. And yes, they probably are.

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:18 am

lawskyandhutch wrote:(or are they trying to screen out lazy people?)

yes, exactly.

as far as stanford goes, the supplemental LOR forms won't be a deal killer if you don't submit them. The Dean's Certifications are required though.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:59 am

lawskyandhutch wrote:Do we have to have a dean (for Yale and Stanford) and our recommenders (for Stanford) fill out those supplemental forms (found on LSAC under primary application for Yale and Stanford)? This seems like there's a cost and no payoff (or are they trying to screen out lazy people?)

Yes, only the dean's cert and only from schools where you were enrolled as a degree-track student.

lawskyandhutch

Postby lawskyandhutch » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:01 am

Thanks all.

I assume for both places I should use my undergrad dean instead of my grad school dean. Is that correct?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:49 pm

lawskyandhutch wrote:Thanks all.

I assume for both places I should use my undergrad dean instead of my grad school dean. Is that correct?

UG for Stanford, Grad AND UG for Yale.

lawskyandhutch

Postby lawskyandhutch » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:44 am

Thanks!

adt231

Postby adt231 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:01 pm

Knock wrote:

Yes, only the dean's cert and only from schools where you were enrolled as a degree-track student.

For Stanford, you need only a dean's cert from the institution that awarded you your undergraduate degree.
["Statement of Dean (Form B). Form B must be given to the current dean of students (or a comparable administrative official with access to the school's official records) at the college from which you received your baccalaureate degree. The official should send the completed form directly to the law school. Foreign-educated applicants need not complete Form B."

http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/degrees/jd/jd_application/

For Yale, you need one from every school that you were enrolled in a degree program as an undergrad or graduate student.
[A certification form will be required for the following:

* Any and all undergraduate or graduate degree programs in which you have been, or currently are, enrolled.
* Degree programs you started, but from which you withdrew.
* Intermediate degree programs en route to a bachelor's or doctoral degree (associate's degrees, master's degrees).
* Schools from which you transferred while working on a degree

A certification will not be required for the following:

* Semester- or year-long study abroad programs in which you participated while enrolled in another degree program.
* Schools at which you took non-degree courses during summers or in high school, even if credit for such courses is included on the transcript of your degree-granting school.
* Schools at which you were auditing courses or not enrolled in a degree program.

http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/12319.htm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”