Discussion on Rolling Admissions & Big Name Scholarships Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
glewz

Silver

Discussion on Rolling Admissions & Big Name Scholarships

Post by glewz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:35 pm

For all schools besides Yale, it isn't a good idea to apply late because of rolling admissions; law schools will have 80% of their seats filled by February.

I heard a rumor that this makes it very difficult for a late applicant because he/she would be competing against the big-name scholarship folks. Is there something about the application process that makes these scholars/fellows apply late cycle? Do they?

If this were the case, then do we really stand at equal footing, when applying to Yale early or late cycle? Yale has rolling admissions, but they employ methods that more or less do not give an advantage to early apps.

Thoughts? Discuss please.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Re: Discussion on Rolling Admissions & Big Name Scholarships

Post by BrownBears09 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:42 pm

glewz wrote:If this were the case, then do we really stand at equal footing, when applying to Yale early or late cycle? Yale has rolling admissions, but they employ methods that more or less do not give an advantage to early apps.
I am completely puzzled as to how you arrived at your conclusion. How can you not infer that earlier is better?

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:11 pm

For one, the graph you posted shows no statistically significant data that points to an advantage in applying early.

Secondly, I wrote the above statements on the assumption that the general population of Yale applicants are aware of the following blog posts, in which Yale Law Dean Asha states, "your admission chances stay more or less constant throughout the season" (http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... -dean.aspx)
and "there is no inherent disadvantage to sending in your application later rather than sooner." (http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... plete.aspx)

Yale is widely known for practicing a different admissions process, and the blog as a whole details it.

Anyone who is informed on the process care to answer my initial questions? Thanks.
Last edited by glewz on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-ROCCA

Bronze

Post by D-ROCCA » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:15 pm

You sound like a tool.

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:29 pm

glewz wrote:For one, the graph you posted shows no statistically significant data that points to an advantage in applying early.

Secondly, I wrote the above statements on the assumption that the general population of Yale applicants are aware of the following blog posts, in which Yale Law Dean Asha states, "your admission chances stay more or less constant throughout the season" (http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... -dean.aspx)
and "there is no inherent disadvantage to sending in your application later rather than sooner." (http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... plete.aspx)

Yale is widely known for practicing a different admissions process, and the blog as a whole details it.

Anyone who is informed on the process care to answer my initial questions? Thanks.
All I can infer from that graph is apply early... good thing I'm not taking the GMAT :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:36 pm

glewz wrote:For one, the graph you posted shows no statistically significant data that points to an advantage in applying early.

Are you just trying to convince yourself, through rationalization, that a late application won't hurt your chances? You'd think someone applying to YLS would realize the benefit of being considered earlier, rather than later, especially in light of a rolling admissions. The graph clearly indicates a rolling admission. If EVERY admission came during May I'd agree with you, however they do not. Use a bit of common sense.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:19 am

BrownBears09 wrote:

Are you just trying to convince yourself, through rationalization, that a late application won't hurt your chances? You'd think someone applying to YLS would realize the benefit of being considered earlier, rather than later, especially in light of a rolling admissions. The graph clearly indicates a rolling admission. If EVERY admission came during May I'd agree with you, however they do not. Use a bit of common sense.
Wow. I am just trying to have a discussion on two seemingly conflicting pieces of information - an admission dean's comments + common knowledge that Yale's process is unique vs. the general consensus that rolling admissions favors early applicants. Don't push your presumptuous (and rude) comments here, especially since the only data you have is from LSN, and you clearly have not read up on Yale's admissions process.

In my first statement, I specifically acknowledged that Yale practices rolling admissions - in no way am I trying to contradict that statement, and if you read carefully, I never said that the graph does not display rolling admission. What I did say though, is that in spite of rolling admissions, deans and admissions experts from across the country acknowledge that Yale's admission methods are unique - applying early does not really disadvantage you.

If you don't believe it, read this book as I have. http://www.amazon.com/Law-School-Admiss ... 0615271839
And if you still don't believe it, read this book and its section on Yale.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Get-Into-Top- ... 0735204292

If those books do not convince you, refer back to my previous post, in which I clearly quoted Yale Law Dean Asha, whose point I am simply reiterating.

Now back to my point, which in fact called into question what kind of an advantage people have applying early to Yale. I just wanted to know about Big Name Scholars applying late. That's all.

Does anyone with experience in applying to Yale have comments on this? Brownbear, please go derail someone else's thread. You aren't even considering Yale, let alone any of the top 15 - your stats are 3.3/168, and you are misinformed on this issue. If you are gonna call out someone's common sense in the face of a Yale Law Dean's comments + plenty of common knowledge, I have nothing more to say to you. Read more about the Yale admissions process before you let your ignorance (on the issue) get the better of you.

canes

Bronze

edit

Post by canes » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:48 am

edit
Last edited by canes on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:00 am

canes wrote:
+1

You have a 167 and a score currently TBD, so you're in no position to disregard Brownbear's comment (in which he gave you sound analysis)

But I don't have a 167, and my score isn't at all TBD - no where on this website did I mention what I scored. And I did not disregard Brownbear's comment on account of his score - I discounted its value because he is misinformed on the issue, he had a complete misinterpretation of what I was saying (I never said Yale didn't have rolling admissions), and he made a personal attack.

And really...is posting an LSN graph considered "sound analysis?"
Last edited by glewz on Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

canes

Bronze

edit

Post by canes » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:04 am

edit
Last edited by canes on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawskyandhutch

New

Post by lawskyandhutch » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:05 am

You guys should become lawyers.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:08 am

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:09 am

canes wrote:
glewz wrote:
canes wrote:
+1

You have a 167 and a score currently TBD, so you're in no position to disregard Brownbear's comment (in which he gave you sound analysis)

But I don't have a 167.

And Brownbear's comments were a complete misinterpretation of what I was saying - I never said Yale didn't have rolling admissions.

My fault, read your response in another thread wrong. Either way, I think Brownbear's advice (any everyone else who has responded) is accurate... and I still think you're being unnecessarily condescending and patronizing.

Ah, I'm not condescending, and if my language suggests that tone, I apologize. Please read my above edited post.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Curry

Post by Curry » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:10 am

Lets try this. Lets let him apply when he wants. If he's so convinced that applying late wont hurt him, let him. If he gets in, great! He can go on believing that yale has no rolling admissions. If he doesn't, maybe he'll reconsider and we'll have this conversation then.

Curry

Post by Curry » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:11 am

acrossthelake wrote:Yale has a process where they give your app to 3 of possibly around 50 profs and they rate you from 1 to 4. A combined score of 12 gets you admitted, while they hold off on choosing between the lower scores until the other apps are in. Thus, the apps that are being accepted earlier are auto-admit on basis of a score of 12 and don't really reduce your chances as time goes on. Dean Asha explicitly states that Yale is not rolling in the typical sense.
or wait for the bestest mod ever to come in with the truth.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:12 am

acrossthelake wrote:Yale has a process where they give your app to 3 of possibly around 50 profs and they rate you from 1 to 4. A combined score of 12 gets you admitted, while they hold off on choosing between the lower scores until the other apps are in. Thus, the apps that are being accepted earlier are auto-admit on basis of a score of 12 and don't really reduce your chances as time goes on. Dean Asha explicitly states that Yale is not rolling in the typical sense.
Right, I agree on this point - I think we both read the same post. I was just wondering why people mention that applying late in the cycle puts you in competition with the 180s and Rhodes Scholars and whether this applies in Yale's case. (because the apps are first filtered before they undergo faculty review)

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:15 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:15 am

curryinaninstant wrote:
or wait for the bestest mod ever to come in with the truth.

Wow..I NEVER SAID that applying late doesn't have Any disadvantage. This has gotta be the 3rd time I've reiterated this. I cited Yale's dean, who said that the chances are approximately the same.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:17 am

acrossthelake wrote:
glewz wrote:
Right, I agree on this point - I think we both read the same post. I was just wondering why people mention that applying late in the cycle puts you in competition with the 180s and Rhodes Scholars and whether this applies in Yale's case. (because the apps are first filtered before they undergo faculty review)
I've never heard this rumour, and thus have no idea why it exists because I don't think it's right.
Ok. I appreciate your comment - thanks a lot.

ISTAND

Bronze

Post by ISTAND » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:27 am

glewz wrote:
What's the point when you've already made your own conclusion?

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:33 am

ISTAND wrote:
glewz wrote:
"I heard a rumor that this makes it very difficult for a late applicant because he/she would be competing against the big-name scholarship folks. Is there something about the application process that makes these scholars/fellows apply late cycle? Do they?

If this were the case, then do we really stand at equal footing, when applying to Yale early or late cycle?"

None of those initial questions are resolved. I have received one response from a person who claims that he/she has not heard about scholars applying late cycle. The rest of the discussion was based on a misinterpretation of my first post.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:18 am

glewz wrote:
ISTAND wrote:
glewz wrote:
"I heard a rumor that this makes it very difficult for a late applicant because he/she would be competing against the big-name scholarship folks. Is there something about the application process that makes these scholars/fellows apply late cycle? Do they?

If this were the case, then do we really stand at equal footing, when applying to Yale early or late cycle?"

None of those initial questions are resolved. I have received one response from a person who claims that he/she has not heard about scholars applying late cycle. The rest of the discussion was based on a misinterpretation of my first post.
Applying early has its advantages at lots of schools. At some schools, it will easily make or break you. Yale is not one of those schools.

Everyone with the exception of acrossthelake has no clue what they are talking about.

Unfortunately, I don't know what level of competition you face from the scholars applying late in the cycle. But my take is that at Yale, if you would have been admitted when applying at the beginning of the cycle, you would be admitted if you applied late in the cycle. The competition is going to be wild at all stages of the admissions cycle for Yale. I think what the dean says is correct. There really shouldn't be an advantage or disadvantage to applying early or late. Unfortunately, I have no personal experience to offer, except I am pretty sure that the majority of replies to your thread have been snarky bullshit, with the exception of the mod's reply.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:22 am

BrownBears09 wrote:
glewz wrote:If this were the case, then do we really stand at equal footing, when applying to Yale early or late cycle? Yale has rolling admissions, but they employ methods that more or less do not give an advantage to early apps.
I am completely puzzled as to how you arrived at your conclusion. How can you not infer that earlier is better?

They don't even release a wave of admits until December. Clearly, applying earlier does not confer any advantage. This graph shows the most statistically normalized representation of a rolling admissions process - with no bias given to early applicants - of any of the T14 schools. You and I are not looking at the same graph.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:34 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
glewz wrote:
ISTAND wrote:
glewz wrote:

Applying early has its advantages at lots of schools. At some schools, it will easily make or break you. Yale is not one of those schools.

Everyone with the exception of acrossthelake has no clue what they are talking about.

Unfortunately, I don't know what level of competition you face from the scholars applying late in the cycle. But my take is that at Yale, if you would have been admitted when applying at the beginning of the cycle, you would be admitted if you applied late in the cycle. The competition is going to be wild at all stages of the admissions cycle for Yale. I think what the dean says is correct. There really shouldn't be an advantage or disadvantage to applying early or late. Unfortunately, I have no personal experience to offer, except I am pretty sure that the majority of replies to your thread have been snarky bullshit, with the exception of the mod's reply.

thanks for clearing the air a bit on this issue

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”