Cancelling lsat now vs. waiting for score and retaking

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
law_flunkie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Cancelling lsat now vs. waiting for score and retaking

Postby law_flunkie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:02 pm

On the December LSAT last Saturday in the logic games section I panicked on the first game and things just went downhill from there. I think I did well on the other sections though.

If you were me, would you just cancel your December test now and retake in February or wait for your December score and then decide to whether or not to re-take in February?

I know some schools take your highest score by default but I'd like to keep my options open. I'm also not on any timeline to start school.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Cancelling lsat now vs. waiting for score and retaking

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:02 pm

law_flunkie wrote:On the December LSAT last Saturday in the logic games section I panicked on the first game and things just went downhill from there. I think I did well on the other sections though.

If you were me, would you just cancel your December test now and retake in February or wait for your December score and then decide to whether or not to re-take in February?

I know some schools take your highest score by default but I'd like to keep my options open. I'm also not on any timeline to start school.


Unless you're aiming for HYS or you're afraid of violating the 3 LSAT in a year rule (which can easily be overcome by petitioning), then you shouldn't cancel. The vast vast majority of schools take the highest score and don't really care about the lowest score (unless it's like a 150).

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Cancelling lsat now vs. waiting for score and retaking

Postby northwood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:44 pm

What were you pt'ing at? If its 165+ range, I would keep the score. You still have 2 more exams you can sit for within a 2 year window, and you can always petition for a 4th exam. How long did you study? How many pts did you do under test like conditions? Were they 5 section tests? If you studied for a while, did a good amount of prept tests with 5 sections in test like conditions ( 35 mionutes, no pens, no digital watches, library like enviornment then keep it. If you just crammed for this test with little or no prep- cancel.

Worst Case scenario is you re take in june. Best case is you apply ( assuming you can start in the fall and your application is complete.)

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Cancelling lsat now vs. waiting for score and retaking

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:56 pm

Your first LSAT?

law_flunkie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: Cancelling lsat now vs. waiting for score and retaking

Postby law_flunkie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:11 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
law_flunkie wrote:On the December LSAT last Saturday in the logic games section I panicked on the first game and things just went downhill from there. I think I did well on the other sections though.

If you were me, would you just cancel your December test now and retake in February or wait for your December score and then decide to whether or not to re-take in February?

I know some schools take your highest score by default but I'd like to keep my options open. I'm also not on any timeline to start school.


Unless you're aiming for HYS or you're afraid of violating the 3 LSAT in a year rule (which can easily be overcome by petitioning), then you shouldn't cancel. The vast vast majority of schools take the highest score and don't really care about the lowest score (unless it's like a 150).


Thanks!

law_flunkie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: Cancelling lsat now vs. waiting for score and retaking

Postby law_flunkie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:19 pm

northwood wrote:What were you pt'ing at? If its 165+ range, I would keep the score. You still have 2 more exams you can sit for within a 2 year window, and you can always petition for a 4th exam. How long did you study? How many pts did you do under test like conditions? Were they 5 section tests? If you studied for a while, did a good amount of prept tests with 5 sections in test like conditions ( 35 mionutes, no pens, no digital watches, library like enviornment then keep it. If you just crammed for this test with little or no prep- cancel.

Worst Case scenario is you re take in june. Best case is you apply ( assuming you can start in the fall and your application is complete.)


Pt'ing at 158-64. I studied off and on for a couple of months and did ~10 tests under test like conditions. I did not pt with 5 sections tests (ooops!). I'll probably keep my score. Thanks.

"But I made up my mind . . . I'm keepin' my babyyyyyy . . . I'm gonna keep my baby."

law_flunkie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: Cancelling lsat now vs. waiting for score and retaking

Postby law_flunkie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:19 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Your first LSAT?


Yes.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests