124 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shotsfired12

Bronze

Post by shotsfired12 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:58 pm

redacted.
Last edited by shotsfired12 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Re: The Big-Law or Bust Safety Plan

Post by Renzo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:02 pm

So, of the two job tracts you've identified (biglaw and non-biglaw) you don't really want either. Why, exactly are you thinking law school is a good idea?

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:02 pm

I want it to snow, but I don't want it to be cold.

catch my drift? (pun intended)

shotsfired12

Bronze

Post by shotsfired12 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:05 pm

redacted.
Last edited by shotsfired12 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:06 pm

SHANbangs wrote:I never said law school was a good idea, but I don't really have any other options.
In before the shitstorm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Cosmo Kramer wrote:I want it to snow, but I don't want it to be cold.

:lol:

But seriously, OP, maybe no go to law school.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:09 pm

SHANbangs wrote:Hi Guys,

Right now I am a 3.24/169 splitter waiting basically on a slew of top 15-30 schools. I will likely not get much, if any, money from the schools I am accepted to. I am a few months out of undergrad, working as a tutor/admin at a small company, making enouh money to support myself completely, but not enough to save anything substantial for LS. I have no undergrad debt, as I went to school in Canada as a citizen. I have a degree in International Relations, so working and not doing LS is a possibility, but not something I really want to entertain or something my parents would welcome. I am mainly worried about two things:

1) Not getting big law. This is a distinct possibility given the economy, and I really, really don't want to do small law/work as a temp/etc etc (who does???)
2) Getting big law, but being miserable. I'm not talking about the work - I think I'd actually enjoy it moderaely, and I think I'd be decent at it - I'm talking about the hours. I would like to have some semblance of a 20-something year old's life, and more importanly, I would like to have relationships and the time to start/maintain them.

With my situation, I was wondering if there's anything I could do starting in 1L to maximize my possibilities, alternatives, and back-ups to big-law? What are the the career possibilites I can look into and how can I prepare for them? I'm open to suggestions, from the least likely (ie. consulting) to the most.
Well from what I gather on here and my discussions with lawyers, the best thing you can do is really, really, really do your best to get the best grades you can in LS. Also, even if you get biglaw and don't like it, the experience will open doors at midlaw firms that typically only hire people with experience but offer better hours. 100K isn't as good as 160K but you should be able to cover your loans and have a reasonable amount left over to enjoy. You might also want to look into schools with good LRAP which will cover your loans if you take public interest.

Pre-post edit: If you have a job now, then you have options. Just because you are working somewhere doesn't mean you have to stop looking.

shotsfired12

Bronze

Post by shotsfired12 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:14 pm

redacted.
Last edited by shotsfired12 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:23 pm

SHANbangs wrote:how many years would you have to work to go from big-law to mid-law?
I didn't really get into specifics about it but I think after only a few years. Some people do get midlaw jobs straight out of school but it is harder since they don't need to constantly hire new blood like the giant firms. If you see SBL on I think he said he has a midlaw job lined up. Anyone on here correct me if I am wrong about that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:22 pm

just hope you can get into vanderbilt or something comparable....
otherwise your law career might be over before it begins......

sorry clicked wrong button

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:24 pm

SHANbangs wrote:how many years would you have to work to go from big-law to mid-law?
Depends. But by five years you should have plenty of exit options, including in-house.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:51 pm

mrmangs wrote:
Depends. But by five years you should have plenty of exit options, including in-house.
ive heard after 2 or so years you start getting random calls from headhunters....

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:53 pm

thexfactor wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
ive heard after 2 or so years you start getting random calls from headhunters....
Yeah, this is true. I know an attorney who worked for Davis Wright for two years and then was picked up by Microsoft. You can definitely move on out before five years, but I feel like by then you definitely know whether you are partner material or not, and will saved up quite a bit of money, which will soften the blow if you're going to take a pay cut and go somewhere else.

ETA: You will also have established extensive contacts and will have hopefully had some amazing WE/training by then too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:29 pm

SHANbangs wrote:Hi Guys,

Right now I am a 3.24/169 splitter waiting basically on a slew of top 15-30 schools. I will likely not get much, if any, money from the schools I am accepted to. I am a few months out of undergrad, working as a tutor/admin at a small company, making enouh money to support myself completely, but not enough to save anything substantial for LS. I have no undergrad debt, as I went to school in Canada as a citizen. I have a degree in International Relations, so working and not doing LS is a possibility, but not something I really want to entertain or something my parents would welcome. I am mainly worried about two things:

1) Not getting big law. This is a distinct possibility given the economy, and I really, really don't want to do small law/work as a temp/etc etc (who does???)
2) Getting big law, but being miserable. I'm not talking about the work - I think I'd actually enjoy it moderaely, and I think I'd be decent at it - I'm talking about the hours. I would like to have some semblance of a 20-something year old's life, and more importanly, I would like to have relationships and the time to start/maintain them.

With my situation, I was wondering if there's anything I could do starting in 1L to maximize my possibilities, alternatives, and back-ups to big-law? What are the the career possibilites I can look into and how can I prepare for them? I'm open to suggestions, from the least likely (ie. consulting) to the most.

It's all relative. If you want to go to law school without scholarships you've got to make a choice. (Although, it isn't much of a choice). You either put the soul-crushing hours in at a biglaw job to pay off your debt, or carry the soul-crushing debt into your 30s/40s.

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:36 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
SHANbangs wrote:I never said law school was a good idea, but I don't really have any other options.
In before the shitstorm.
what are you talking about no other options? you don't have undergrad debt and unless you majored in underwater basket weaving there are always options apart from a mountain of debt and potentially awful career prospects. are you delusional?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:26 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
In before the shitstorm.
what are you talking about no other options? you don't have undergrad debt and unless you majored in underwater basket weaving there are always options apart from a mountain of debt and potentially awful career prospects. are you delusional?
Even if you majored in underwater basket weaving there are options.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:30 pm

You're not going to get into a single school that makes going to law school worthwhile if you're only willing to accept a 6-figure firm job.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Renzo wrote:
2Serious4Numbers wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
In before the shitstorm.
Even if you majored in underwater basket weaving there are options.
well played.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Nice. Here's my try:

I want to wear volure jumpsuits, but I don't want to look stupid.
feel me? (pun sort of intended)

http://nateandleah.com/Justin%20Jumpsuit.JPG
Last edited by BackToTheOldHouse on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:37 pm

TEACH FOR AMERICA.

Alright, I'm done here.

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:44 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

Nice. Here's my try:

I want to wear volure jumpsuits, but I don't want to look stupid.
feel me? (pun sort of intended)

http://nateandleah.com/Justin%20Jumpsuit.JPG
Well played sir, especially since my buddy almost got beat up not too long ago for making fun of a bunch of guys in volure jumpsuits on the subway lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:32 pm

What is this I don't even

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:35 am

Stanford4Me wrote:What is this I don't even
you know you love it

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:02 am

mrmangs wrote:
This is optimistic.

Not that many people - even at V10s, even after five years - can just waltz into a F500 in-house job.

The exit options from big firms are generally just smaller firms and government.

camstant

Bronze

Post by camstant » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:11 am

SBL wrote:You're not going to get into a single school that makes going to law school worthwhile if you're only willing to accept a 6-figure firm job.
Exactly. Going to law school isnt a place to go for lack of a better option.... do i really need to finish this thought?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”