E-mail from school's ad director about my LSAT scores

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TruHoosier

E-mail from school's ad director about my LSAT scores

Postby TruHoosier » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:00 pm

Hey guys, I took the LSAT for the second time in October and scored much better than I did the first time I took it - 12 points to be exact. When I applied to schools, I didn't include an LSAT addendum in any of my apps because all the schools I applied to either said they only considered the highest LSAT score, or they didn't mention that they average them.

Over the weekend, I received an e-mail from an admissions director at one of the schools I applied to asking me if I did something differently to prepare for the second LSAT I took. This is one of the schools that says explicitly that they only consider the highest LSAT score on record. My LSAT score is also well into the top 25 percent of what they usually accept - my GPA is maybe slightly about their average.

Any idea why they would send me an e-mail like this?

I wrote a short response explaining that I had a bad day and didn't perform well. Also said that I didn't get a chance to prepare like I wanted to the weeks before the test because of a commitment I had at work.

Truthfully, I was pretty taken aback by this e-mail. I expected to be an auto admit into this school. People on this forum who have lower numbers than I do were admitted within weeks (of course, they applied in the beginning of November, where I applied toward the end of November.)

txadv11

Re: E-mail from school's ad director about my LSAT scores

Postby txadv11 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:37 pm

YP?

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:48 pm

The admissions officer wrote the email because he/she wants to know how you increased your score by 12 points.

You should have included an addendum to begin with. A 12 point jump definitely warranted one.

In any case, this is a good thing. It means that the school is considering you for admission, but wants to know if your performanace was earned or it was a complete fluke.

Just explain to the best of your abilities.

Good luck!

TruHoosier

Postby TruHoosier » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks, yeah I explained myself pretty well. I was honest, too, about why I underperformed the first time around. I had a good reason.

I read in a couple different places here on TLS that LSAT addendums weren't needed if the school says they don't average. I have been admitted to one school and am In Review with a couple of other schools and haven't received any requests for addendums from them.

I am a pretty good candidate for a scholarship from this school. Hopefully this doesn't hurt my chances for one.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:46 pm

most schools want an addendum if you increased your scrore significantly. A score 5 points higher is significant. A 12 point jump is uncommon. Send the addendum to every school you applied to- even if you are in review. Just make sure to put your name and lsac account number on top. You dont want them guessing why you made that big of an improvement.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:57 pm

Northwood is giving you good advice. Many law schools require an addendum for LSAT score increases of more than 5 points, thus the admissions director may just be asking you to follow their application rules.

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Its interesting that admissions would email you and ask you to explain? If it was a fluke, why would a prospective law student admit it? lol

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:50 pm

I also have a 12 point jump?

I wrote an addendum for schools that explicitly said someing like, "it would behoove" you to write an addendum- chicago. But for most I did not. I thought addendums were primarily for people that have a valid reason outside of their control. I just got nervous. Had outside destractions because I was moving out of the country. Nothing I thought warranted an addendum?

So you guys think one should still follow up with one and not just wait to see if they are waitlisted? :shock:

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:59 pm

If admissions is reaching out to you for something like this, you've already been admitted - they just want to clean up and finalize your file.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:20 pm

5 point jump within the 170s ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”