When to Expect Fee Waivers after the December LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
risa

Re: When to Expect Fee Waivers after the December LSAT

Postby risa » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Would it be totally poor form to email a second time (2 months later) to request a fee waiver from BU? Nothing's changed re: my GPA or LSAT. Last time they gave me the "we don't do merit-based fee waivers except through CRS" answer (which I know is bull from other threads)... I know I'm acting totally entitled here but I've gotten into some good schools already and got unsolicited fee waivers from some much higher ranked schools. I'm borderline about still sending in my BU application and leaning towards no if I have to pay the fee!

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:39 pm

risa wrote:Would it be totally poor form to email a second time (2 months later) to request a fee waiver from BU? Nothing's changed re: my GPA or LSAT. Last time they gave me the "we don't do merit-based fee waivers except through CRS" answer (which I know is bull from other threads)... I know I'm acting totally entitled here but I've gotten into some good schools already and got unsolicited fee waivers from some much higher ranked schools. I'm borderline about still sending in my BU application and leaning towards no if I have to pay the fee!

If you're not even sure that you want to go there, I don't see that it will hurt to ask again. Odds are that they don't remember your first request anyway, and even if they did asking a second time isn't the kind of thing that would get you blackballed in any way.

gtrbrndn

Postby gtrbrndn » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:54 pm

tarakit wrote:Has anyone received waivers for UCLA or Georgetown from the December LSAT?

Also, to update the list, I have received hidden waivers from:
USC
Duke
WUSTL

UCLA yes, but I asked nicely :D

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:43 pm

On Thursday I requested and received fee waivers from UCLA, UVA, and Georgetown. The other schools all said to wait for CRS. Just FYI for anyone.

Seasick Sailor

Postby Seasick Sailor » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 pm

I have successfully negotiated waivers from Wyoming, Oregon, and Texas Tech so far this cycle.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Seasick Sailor wrote:I have successfully negotiated waivers from Wyoming, Oregon, and Texas Tech so far this cycle.

Negotiated? You mean requested?

Seasick Sailor

Postby Seasick Sailor » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Seasick Sailor wrote:I have successfully negotiated waivers from Wyoming, Oregon, and Texas Tech so far this cycle.

You got me. I did mean requested.

I hope you can forgive me.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:47 pm

Seasick Sailor wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I just imagined you going back and forth with the AdComms. "Wyoming offered 50% off of the $75 fee. What will you give me?!"

Seasick Sailor

Postby Seasick Sailor » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:10 am

TripTrip wrote:
Seasick Sailor wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I just imagined you going back and forth with the AdComms. "Wyoming offered 50% off of the $75 fee. What will you give me?!"

I was just screwing with you.

I got my first acceptance today and have been researching effective ways to negotiating merit scholarships. Had that on the brain I guess.

risa

Postby risa » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:24 pm

fingersxd wrote:
risa wrote:Would it be totally poor form to email a second time (2 months later) to request a fee waiver from BU? Nothing's changed re: my GPA or LSAT. Last time they gave me the "we don't do merit-based fee waivers except through CRS" answer (which I know is bull from other threads)... I know I'm acting totally entitled here but I've gotten into some good schools already and got unsolicited fee waivers from some much higher ranked schools. I'm borderline about still sending in my BU application and leaning towards no if I have to pay the fee!

If you're not even sure that you want to go there, I don't see that it will hurt to ask again. Odds are that they don't remember your first request anyway, and even if they did asking a second time isn't the kind of thing that would get you blackballed in any way.

2nd time's a charm... they said yes :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”