Is foreclosure a violation of civil law? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NCtoDC

Silver

Is foreclosure a violation of civil law?

Post by NCtoDC » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:01 pm

My ex-husband and I were in foreclosure, but the bank withdrew the motion. As of right now the account is just sitting in limbo as past due (for 3 years!). When applications ask for you to disclose if you have ever been charged with, arrested for, or convicted of any violation of criminal or civil law should I be checking yes? Is there a law against not paying your debt or is it just a credit thing? I know this may sound stupid, but I can't find a clear answer online anywhere.

Tsispilos

Bronze

Re: Is foreclosure a violation of civil law?

Post by Tsispilos » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:19 pm

This is really a request for legal advice. Nobody here can answer this for you without violating the canons of ethics that govern the legal profession. You should seek the advice of a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

AppsAbound

New

Post by AppsAbound » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:26 pm

I support the above response. There are a lot of consumer protection attorneys who will review cases for no charge. However, I'm not even sure I understand your question. Has a judgment been entered against you? Wait, don't answer that, because I still couldn't help you. Try looking for an attorney on this site, its the national assoc. of consumer advocates, http://www.naca.net

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:41 am

It may come up during the bar. There was a case in New York state about a student with too much student debt and not being admitted to the bar.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:33 pm

I would just call the schools and ask them if they want you to disclose it.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Thank you for the responses. I contacted a random attorney on the net and he responded, lol. He also said to check with the admissions office, but as far as he was concerned the answer would be that it is not a civil violation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”