Soft Factors

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
James Bond

Re: Soft Factors

Postby James Bond » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:33 am

:idea:
Last edited by James Bond on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:56 am

careerchange2010 wrote:I'm reviewing my soft factors and trying to figure out what admissions committees will be most interested in. I'm also trying to figure out how much these factors will help me. Let me know your thoughts.

1) Master's Degree

2) 2 Years of AmeriCorps Service

3) Established a business

4) First Generation College Student

5) Worked 40 hours per week while doing undergraduate studies full-time

6) Undergraduate Activities - Vice President of Weekend Events for University Program Board, SGA Senator, Late Night Taskforce Member, Honors Program

1.) Might be a tiebreaker
2.) Might be a tiebreaker if TFA, otherwise irrelevant
3.) Too vague to know for sure, probs won't matter
4.) Unless you're also a URM, irrelevant
5.) Should matter. Really should. But won't.
6.) Won't matter.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:19 am

adt231 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
careerchange2010 wrote:I'm review my soft factors and trying to figure out what admissions committees will be most interested. I

Your LSAT and your GPA.

Obviously kalvano didn't read your post properly.

But I'd probably do the following with softs like yours: only highlight 5 and 6 on your resume (obviously all of these except #4 should go on your resume, but I would not address 5 and 6 in any of your essays), 4 should only be mentioned if it as at all relevant to the theme of your PS, or Why X essay, or another optional essay -- definitely don't force it in your application somewhere, it's not that great of a soft even though I personally think it is significant. And 1, 2 and 3 are definitely important to underscore, perhaps each of them at length if you have available space. I'm not an adcomm, obviously, but it seems to me that they are going to ask: why did this person get a master's degree in field x, what motivated them to do 2 years of americorp and what motivated them to start a business, and most importantly, given this person's interests in field x and in education and whatever business sector, why the heck do they want to go to law school? Perhaps talk about how your projects are interrelated (if true).

In short, your first 3 softs are very good, I'd say, but you want to sell them to an adcomm in a sincere, coherent way so they can finish reviewing your application and have a theme in mind that somewhat captures you.

Good luck!

Are you a 0L? Never give admissions advice please.

Softs go on your resume. If you can write a compelling PS about your Americorps experience or about starting your business, then great. Otherwise, don't send useless addendums or anything that the app doesn't specifically ask for.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 am

hoopsguy6 wrote:Are you a 0L? Never give admissions advice please.

And this is the part where, if I used the sort of inane and ad hominem reasoning like this, I'd ask you: what are your qualifications for making the below recommendation?

hoopsguy6 wrote:Softs go on your resume. If you can write a compelling PS about your Americorps experience or about starting your business, then great. Otherwise, don't send useless addendums or anything that the app doesn't specifically ask for.

First, did I recommend the use of addendums? Nothing in my response necessarily indicates this; thus, it is an unwarranted assumption. Next, how is your recommendation THAT substantively different than my recommendation? Finally, if I'm never suppose to give admissions advice and the content of our advice is very similar (or, at the very least, is entirely compatible with one another), then why are you even offering advice in the first place?

Use some intellectual prudence, please.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:43 am

adt231 wrote:

And this is the part where, if I used the sort of inane and ad hominem reasoning like this, I'd ask you: what are your qualifications for making the below recommendation?

hoopsguy6 wrote:Softs go on your resume. If you can write a compelling PS about your Americorps experience or about starting your business, then great. Otherwise, don't send useless addendums or anything that the app doesn't specifically ask for.

First, did I recommend the use of addendums? Nothing in my response necessarily indicates this; thus, it is an unwarranted assumption. Next, how is your recommendation THAT substantively different than my recommendation? Finally, if I'm never suppose to give admissions advice and the content of our advice is very similar (or, at the very least, is entirely compatible with one another), then why are you even offering advice in the first place?

Speaking of "intellectual prudence," the plural form of addendum is actually addenda. Carry on.

Ascend

Postby Ascend » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:44 am

St.Remy wrote:
adt231 wrote:Nope. Whenever reading or hearing a claim made by someone, one ALWAYS needs to (a) use the context under which the claim is made or uttered to distinguish between possible meanings of the claim and to (b) do so in a charitable way. The OP's originally claim was: "I'm review my soft factors and trying to figure out what admissions committees will be most interested." When correcting the minor errors the claim becomes: "I'm review[ing] my soft factors and trying to figure out what admission committees will be most interested [in]."

Now, how is it best to understand this? One option is to parse the independent clauses of the sentences apart, leaving two disjointed claims: (i) "I'm review[ing] my soft factors" and, (ii) "[I am] trying to figure out what admission committees will be most interested [in]." Then you proceeded to answer OP in regards to claim (ii). This is obviously not the way to understand the original claim. A second, and preferred, way to understand the original claim is as follows: "I'm review[ing] my soft factors and trying to figure out what admission committees will be most interested [in out of my following softs]." This is clearly a better interpretation since the OP continues on after this claim to list his softs. There is no mention of his GPA and LSAT. Given this glaring absence and the context under which the original claim was made, the second interpretation is the appropriate one.

Kalvano, it follows that you either read the post incorrectly or misunderstand the appropriate application of the concept of a 'soft factor' (as distinguished from a 'hard factor'). I was being charitable towards yourself and presuming the latter was not the case and, thus, inferred the former. Was I mistaken to be charitable in this regard?

Pretty sure that Kalvano was trying to humorously point out the fact that none of the listed soft factors would have a discernible effect on the range of schools which OP has a chance at, which is TCR.

OP made no reference to softs with regard to range of schools. Thus, if you're inference is correct, then it still stands that Kalvano didn't read the post.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:47 am

careerchange2010 wrote:I'm reviewing my soft factors and trying to figure out what admissions committees will be most interested in. I'm also trying to figure out how much these factors will help me. Let me know your thoughts.

1) Master's Degree

2) 2 Years of AmeriCorps Service

3) Established a business

4) First Generation College Student

5) Worked 40 hours per week while doing undergraduate studies full-time

6) Undergraduate Activities - Vice President of Weekend Events for University Program Board, SGA Senator, Late Night Taskforce Member, Honors Program

That in itself should speak to a student ability to succeed.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:44 pm

adt231 wrote:

Your "advice" was wild speculation on what you think adcomms want to see. My only qualification is I'm not a know-it-all 0L who goes onto forums and writes wall of texts on subjects that I am completely clueless about.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”