application question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cbq

application question

Postby cbq » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:31 pm

is there a strategy involved in answering the question about what other schools you are applying to? i would think it would be good to let the school know that they have competition?...

northwood

Re: application question

Postby northwood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:36 pm

put down peer schools you are applying to. If there are other schools in the same region, put them down ( if you are applying or considering to apply).

if you put down schools way higher or far away, you are telling them that they are a safety school. If you dont have any good options of schools to apply to, leave it blank

cbq

Postby cbq » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:00 pm

thanks. that's where i was going..

Perch

Postby Perch » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:59 pm

or just answer the question truthfully...

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:02 pm

the truth is always the right way. However, if you are applying to a lot of schools, and the ones you list you legitimately sent apps to ( or will) then just name them. Dont run out of room and have to use an addendum for the schools. its not worth it.

cbq

Postby cbq » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:33 pm

i would say, i guess, that in some cases i may not tell them all that i am applying to. just those i feel they need to be concerned about. the question is nothing more than for their "strategy" of selection...

jkgott

Postby jkgott » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:35 pm

I came across an application that asked if you had previously applied to any schools and what their decision was. Are they allowed to ask this question? I feel like it is weird to tell a school what other schools you had been admitted to/rejected from...

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:38 pm

most of the schools ask if you applied to their school previously. If you did they want to know what happend ( accepted, denied etc) I think its so that they can compare your application and see what improvements you made, and compare it to what they thought needed more work ( better lsat, better essay, etc)

I dont know about schools asking about other universities.

jkgott

Postby jkgott » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:41 pm

It is on Fordham's application. It says to list any schools "to which you have applied to in the past, are now applying to, or attend to apply to in the future. Also list the date of application, and, if known, the disposition." I assume by disposition they mean decision.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:58 pm

i would read it as, which schools did you allready send applications to, where else are you going to apply, and what schools are you considering to apply to?
If you have peer schools, list them. They want to know if you are serious about going to school in a specific region ( NY), or are using fordhham as a safety.
You will be okay as long as you dont have fordham be the lowest school, or all of your applications are at schools in other parts of the country ( south, west, etc)

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:38 am

jkgott wrote:It is on Fordham's application. It says to list any schools "to which you have applied to in the past, are now applying to, or attend to apply to in the future. Also list the date of application, and, if known, the disposition." I assume by disposition they mean decision.

Dang that's like TMI!

cbq

Postby cbq » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:13 pm

i think it's safe to say that your "intentions" can change from day to day. therefore i think you can tell them what you want...

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:19 pm

I have applied to around 20 schools. Their are usually like 5-6 blanks on the application, so I list peer schools, with the closest/most regional schools first.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”