Change in Cumulative GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
isaiahnielsen

New

Re: Change in Cumulative GPA

Post by isaiahnielsen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:27 am

LSpleaseee wrote:
isaiahnielsen wrote:well then i better hope the LSAT i took today comes back decent or else i will just be out of the running...i felt like it was a small shot with the 3.25 but now with the 2.93, it has gotten oh so much smaller
What were you PTing at? A low GPA hurts your chances but with a high LSAT you can get into some good schools.

not well enough to make up for this...but it is not the end of the world...i can always keep studying for the LSAT and take it next year if I don't like my score this year..I am in no real hurry

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:37 pm

The LSDAS system treats A+ as 4.33 and A- as 3.67 (and so on with B/C/D) so if your school treated A- as 3.7 (or B-/C-/D-), your GPA will be lowered. Also if you retake a course after failing it, LSDAS does not account for academic forgiveness and will count an F as an F even if your school didn’t.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4823316_calcula ... sions.html

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:41 pm

isaiahnielsen wrote:not well enough to make up for this...but it is not the end of the world...i can always keep studying for the LSAT and take it next year if I don't like my score this year..I am in no real hurry
Well hopefully you will be nicely surprised by your score! That's a good attitude to have, don't rush into law school, you should definitely continue studying for the LSAT and get your score up as much as possible! I'm taking an extra year off and taking in Feb instead of Dec to do that same thing :)

isaiahnielsen

New

Post by isaiahnielsen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:32 pm

yes, here is the answer I received via email from LSAC concerning this question.

"The GPA calculated by LSAC may not be the same as that calculated by your school. Examples of differences are:

LSAC uses all grades and credits listed on the transcript (even if the school does not);
the value assigned to plus/minus grades may differ than the one used by the school (for example an A- would be worth 3.67 (rather than 3.7); a B+ would be worth 3.33 (rather than 3.5); and computations are not rounded up.

If after taking the above into account you still believe the calculation is incorrect, you may request that it be re-done. Please respond to LSACinfo@LSAC.org and be as specific as possible as to what you think may be incorrect.

Note: Law schools receive a copy of each transcript with their LSDAS report."

Helpful information for anyone who has the same problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”