Help Me Finalize My School List! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ATR

Silver

Help Me Finalize My School List!

Post by ATR » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:37 pm

Thanks, everyone!
Last edited by ATR on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

NoleinNY

Silver

Re: Finalizing a School List

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Not sure how they place in DC, but Emory maybe? Perhaps even add Cal if that LSAT turns out better than expected, perhaps and you get a fee waiver? They tend to be West Coast centric but it's still a T10 and they like high GPA.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:58 pm

NoleinNY wrote:Not sure how they place in DC, but Emory maybe? Perhaps even add Cal if that LSAT turns out better than expected, perhaps and you get a fee waiver? They tend to be West Coast centric but it's still a T10 and they like high GPA.
I have a fee waiver from Emory, so I may indeed add it to my list. I've read bad things about their OCI, though, so I'm somewhat hesitant.

Not really interested in California schools, but I may consider it pending my score.

ATR

Silver

Help Me Finalize My School List!

Post by ATR » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Anyone else?

weejonbu

Bronze

Re: Help Me Finalize My School List!

Post by weejonbu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:15 pm

atresia wrote:I retook the LSAT this morning, so now I have 3-4 weeks to finish applications before I receive my score. I am looking for advice about what schools I should add/remove from my list. Thank you in advance!

Relevant information:
  • GPA: 3.8x (close to 3.9)
    LSAT: 164 (October), TBD (December; humor me and assume 167)
    Straight from undergrad
    Caucasian
Anyway, I am looking to work in the following cities (ranked by preference):
  • New York
    Chicago
    Boston
    Washington, D.C.
Here is my list, as it stands:
  • Boston College
    Boston University (fee waiver)
    Cardozo (fee waiver)
    Cornell
    Duke (fee waiver)
    Fordham
    George Washington
    Georgetown
    Illinois (no application fee)
    Michigan
    Notre Dame
    Pennsylvania
    Texas
    Virginia (fee waiver)
    Vanderbilt
    Washington University (fee waiver)
    William and Mary (fee waiver)
These are quite similar to my numbers (164, 3.97), and consequently so is your school list. I would say go for it. For us reverse splitters, I feel like there's no reason not to just throw out a wide net and see what happenss

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:22 pm

atresia wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:Not sure how they place in DC, but Emory maybe? Perhaps even add Cal if that LSAT turns out better than expected, perhaps and you get a fee waiver? They tend to be West Coast centric but it's still a T10 and they like high GPA.
I have a fee waiver from Emory, so I may indeed add it to my list. I've read bad things about their OCI, though, so I'm somewhat hesitant.

Not really interested in California schools, but I may consider it pending my score.
If you have a fee waiver, apply. Emory is generous with scholly offers and you can try to leverage offers from other schools. Same logic can be applied to WUSTL.

It sucks that you aren't interested in California as much, since UCLA/USC/Berkeley are so GPA centric in comparison to most other schools.

chrissyc

Bronze

Post by chrissyc » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:23 pm

atresia wrote:Anyone else?
I suspect I'll also be a reverse splitter. I have a 4.04...and my LSAT is likely to be 160-165 (hoping for 165-170 like my PTs but not counting on it).

The only other thing going for me is that i'm a minority (biracial-black/white) and first generation college student. I'm applying far and wide as well.

What about Columbia?

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:30 pm

Add Washington and Lee bc it is free.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:09 pm

I have a downward GPA trend, plus my GPA's lower at my new school (transferred). So I consider my GPA weaker than what it actually is.

Probably will add Emory, but W&L probably won't make my list.

Thanks everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 pm

weejonbu wrote:
atresia wrote:I retook the LSAT this morning, so now I have 3-4 weeks to finish applications before I receive my score. I am looking for advice about what schools I should add/remove from my list. Thank you in advance!

Relevant information:
  • GPA: 3.8x (close to 3.9)
    LSAT: 164 (October), TBD (December; humor me and assume 167)
    Straight from undergrad
    Caucasian
Anyway, I am looking to work in the following cities (ranked by preference):
  • New York
    Chicago
    Boston
    Washington, D.C.
Here is my list, as it stands:
  • Boston College
    Boston University (fee waiver)
    Cardozo (fee waiver)
    Cornell
    Duke (fee waiver)
    Fordham
    George Washington
    Georgetown
    Illinois (no application fee)
    Michigan
    Notre Dame
    Pennsylvania
    Texas
    Virginia (fee waiver)
    Vanderbilt
    Washington University (fee waiver)
    William and Mary (fee waiver)
These are quite similar to my numbers (164, 3.97), and consequently so is your school list. I would say go for it. For us reverse splitters, I feel like there's no reason not to just throw out a wide net and see what happenss

+1 i'm 164/3.95 and i applied to pretty much all those schools except - a few and + a few. Go for itttt!

I applied to ucla/usc too but those are regional. try Boalt too, they <33 high GPAs. it's a long shot for both of us, but a better one than Penn, GULC, and Michigan and I see all of those on your list.

sojuteacher

Bronze

Post by sojuteacher » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:29 am

What about Minnesota? It's a pretty good school.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:35 am

atresia wrote:I have a downward GPA trend, plus my GPA's lower at my new school (transferred). So I consider my GPA weaker than what it actually is.

Probably will add Emory, but W&L probably won't make my list.

Thanks everyone!
Jesus, add it at least for the sake of scholly negotiation. You're applying to peer schools and the application is FREE

akahn2

New

Post by akahn2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:50 am

UW Madison? Iowa?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:27 am

sojuteacher wrote:What about Minnesota? It's a pretty good school.

if you like -10 degree winters and disgusting summers. lol i shouldn't be talking...i applied.

...but i have NO intention of going somewhere that when I walk outside, I have to keep going into stores every 5 minutes to let my face thaw.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:29 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Jesus, add it at least for the sake of scholly negotiation. You're applying to peer schools and the application is FREE
Haha, fair enough.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:29 pm

Gotti wrote:

if you like -10 degree winters and disgusting summers. lol i shouldn't be talking...i applied.

...but i have NO intention of going somewhere that when I walk outside, I have to keep going into stores every 5 minutes to let my face thaw.
Average summer high in the 75-80 range = disgusting?? That's a few degrees cooler than Chicago and people rave about Chicago in the summer.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:33 pm

swampthang wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Average summer high in the 75-80 range = disgusting?? That's a few degrees cooler than Chicago and people rave about Chicago in the summer.
75-80? That's like what I have my A/C set on

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:50 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
swampthang wrote:
Gotti wrote:

75-80? That's like what I have my A/C set on
= pleasant temperature? I'm confused about what "disgusting" meant in its original context. When I think a disgusting summer, I think oppressive heat and/or humidity like DC, Arizona, or the South. The Midwest and Northeast generally have warm summers akin to a Florida winter or spring. Not sure what's so unappealing about that.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:20 pm

swampthang wrote:
AreJay711 wrote: 75-80? That's like what I have my A/C set on
= pleasant temperature? I'm confused about what "disgusting" meant in its original context. When I think a disgusting summer, I think oppressive heat and/or humidity like DC, Arizona, or the South. The Midwest and Northeast generally have warm summers akin to a Florida winter or spring. Not sure what's so unappealing about that.
Yeah, it seems nice to me. Screw that winter though.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:14 pm

oh my bad...isn't it humid and mosquito-ey? i hate humidity.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Since this was brought back from the dead, anyone else want to offer some advice on topics not pertaining to Minnesota weather?

:)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:37 pm

atresia wrote:Since this was brought back from the dead, anyone else want to offer some advice on topics not pertaining to Minnesota weather?

The people in Minnesota are disturbingly... nice. It's really over the top, it'll kind of freak you out, even if you're already from the Midwest.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:07 pm

If you want to work in New York, Chicago, Boston or DC you should keep your applications to schools in those cities, especially given the retracted legal market. Since it seems unlikely that you’ll be getting into a T14, but highly likely you can get into several strong regional powerhouses with money, I’d shoot for something like the following:

New York:

Fordham
Brooklyn
St. John’s
Rutgers

Chicago:

Notre Dame
Illinois
Loyola-Chicago
Chicago-Kent

Boston:

BU
BC
UConn (BU and BC also place moderately well in NY, doing well at UConn well get you good jobs in NY and Boston)
Suffolk

DC:

GW
American
William & Mary

If you put together a strong and compelling application, then you have an excellent chance of getting into any of those schools and you should get money from many. Given the current legal market, it is wise to minimize debt and go to school in a city in which you wish to practice in.

Best of luck. You are applying late, so don't discount the option of applying early next fall.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:56 pm

ahduth wrote:
atresia wrote:Since this was brought back from the dead, anyone else want to offer some advice on topics not pertaining to Minnesota weather?

The people in Minnesota are disturbingly... nice. It's really over the top, it'll kind of freak you out, even if you're already from the Midwest.
I hear it borders on passive-agressiveness. Or maybe it's some kind of progressive social brainwashing. Wisconsin folk are nice, but Iowa and Illinois, what's with them? I might be unconsciously violating Midwestern stereotypes by throwing some of them under the bus, but wow. Iowans are like the polar opposite of WI/MN and IL acts like they're NY or something.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”