Question about the Work Experience section of applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Maverick416

Question about the Work Experience section of applications

Postby Maverick416 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:47 am

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I was hoping to get some help from people here since my LSAC Advisor hasn't gotten back to me for a few weeks now. I was wondering if we should include unpaid internships in the work experiences section of law school applications. I saw one post that asked a similar question, however there was one response that seemed to be based more off an opinion rather than fact.

I also noticed that for UCLA, for example, they ask you to attach a resume but that it does not substitute for filling in their work experience section of the application. Other schools, however, leave little room for their work experience sections, Southwestern for example, and ask you to attach an electric document if you need more space. I am assuming in that case a resume would suffice? Is it possible to do that for all schools that have work experience sections?

Thanks to anyone who will respond =)
Maverick

Eugenie Danglars

Re: Question about the Work Experience section of applications

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:15 am

Maverick416 wrote:Hi everyone, this is my first post and I was hoping to get some help from people here since my LSAC Advisor hasn't gotten back to me for a few weeks now. I was wondering if we should include unpaid internships in the work experiences section of law school applications. I saw one post that asked a similar question, however there was one response that seemed to be based more off an opinion rather than fact.

I also noticed that for UCLA, for example, they ask you to attach a resume but that it does not substitute for filling in their work experience section of the application. Other schools, however, leave little room for their work experience sections, Southwestern for example, and ask you to attach an electric document if you need more space. I am assuming in that case a resume would suffice? Is it possible to do that for all schools that have work experience sections?

Thanks to anyone who will respond =)
Maverick

Internships are generally considered work, unless they were very short term/limited hours, or unless the app excludes them or asks for them in anoterh section.

In apps that leave only a little space for work exp, you should list your most important position(s) and attach a resume.

Maverick416

Postby Maverick416 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:57 pm

So if they leave little room for work experience, I would need to attach both a resume and a separate doc with my most important positions? Would the resume by itself, if it includes all these positions, not be enough?

Thanks for the original answer it did help but I just want to be clear

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:22 am

Maverick416 wrote:So if they leave little room for work experience, I would need to attach both a resume and a separate doc with my most important positions? Would the resume by itself, if it includes all these positions, not be enough?

Thanks for the original answer it did help but I just want to be clear

If your resume has everything, then you don't need a separate attachment.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”