Using connections to get into a law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trudat15

Re: Using connections to get into a law school

Postby trudat15 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:30 pm

Excel wrote:My current GPA is a 3.4 (though within major its a 3.8-does "within major" count for anything? I'm pol sci and have seen that requested in some places but not others). I have taken 1 prac LSAT and scored a 154, but I didnt study a wink. I actually do have a criminal record...minor (standing next to a minor) in possession of alcohol. In my state, they arrest you for that, even if its not open/in your possession. I was wondering if that would even be worth mentioning to schools in state who dont care, i.e. if I told the folks at Texas how I was arrested, I would bet resounding laughter would follow.

Within major GPA doesnt mean anything, so you'll be with your 3.4 when you apply. If you've only taken one PT and scored a 154, this may be all a moot point, as you'll probably be able to increase this significantly. If you study hard, and are able to get in the 170s, and wont need your connections and you'll be at a lower t14. The LSAT is very learnable. Even if you get in the high 160s, you may be able to get into a t25 on your own. Your connection would only assure your acceptance, though you may not want to use it so you can have options. If you stay at 154, then yes, use it and get into the school.

Yes, you will need to disclose your criminal record. To ALL schools. There's a question on every app that asks for this info. It wont be a big deal, you will just have to explain what happened and they'll probably just dismiss it.

Good luck.

Excel

Postby Excel » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:36 pm

my case was dismissed, so Ive never been "charged" with anything. I had to go to some aa meetings, which I actually enjoyed, and wrote some damn good write ups, and it went away. I say this because some of the ones i have seen ask "even been charged", to which I say no. If it says "ever been arrested", different story.

As for within major GPA, thats what I figured. I mean, they may be all like "wtf" when they see A-B+ in every class, then a random "STATISTICS: D" (guy couldnt even speak english, let alone answer questions. I even convinced him to do away with half the final (the hard half) and we all still failed) or "BIOLOGY: B-" or "ASTRONOMY: B-"...maybe ill just have some explaining to do.

Miracle wrote:So, you have good GPA, poor LSAT? I think you should just study for you LSAT-re take, and apply on your own!

I have a decent gpa, but my current school is average, if a tad above average. And i transferred here (though I did take an absurd schedule-18 classes in 3 semesters), so I am not overly confident in my gpa. I still have 2 foreign language classes to take :!: so it may come down a bit. Out of the 20 classes I have credit for thus far, I think I have gotten 6 A-'s. If only I had done a tad better... :roll: I get 4.0s instead of 3.65, and almost 3 more points to my gpa point total.

I havent taken the LSAT yet. I took a practice test-a while ago (I think like last Feb) and cored that. I dominated some logic games while not getting a single 1 right in others. My rc was all over the place, and the ones I got wrong were "doh!" ones. Im prepping a serious 6 months study period to score as well as possible.

I will apply on my own, but the idea of the connection is to make this my "safety" school. That is something Ill have to consider; i dont want him going out of his way to get me in and then I just go somewhere else :lol:

and thanks to everyone whose responded, its very helpful and appreciated.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Excel wrote:my case was dismissed, so Ive never been "charged" with anything. I had to go to some aa meetings, which I actually enjoyed, and wrote some damn good write ups, and it went away. I say this because some of the ones i have seen ask "even been charged", to which I say no. If it says "ever been arrested", different story.

As for within major GPA, thats what I figured. I mean, they may be all like "wtf" when they see A-B+ in every class, then a random "STATISTICS: D" (guy couldnt even speak english, let alone answer questions. I even convinced him to do away with half the final (the hard half) and we all still failed) or "BIOLOGY: B-" or "ASTRONOMY: B-"...maybe ill just have some explaining to do.

I havent taken the LSAT yet. I took a practice test-a while ago (I think like last Feb) and cored that. I dominated some logic games while not getting a single 1 right in others. My rc was all over the place, and the ones I got wrong were "doh!" ones. Im prepping a serious 6 months study period to score as well as possible.

I will apply on my own, but the idea of the connection is to make this my "safety" school. That is something Ill have to consider; i dont want him going out of his way to get me in and then I just go somewhere else :lol:

and thanks to everyone whose responded, its very helpful and appreciated.

Most say - have you ever been charged (including matters that have been expunged). So make sure you disclose if it says that or something similar. You dont want to go through three years of LS and 200k to end up failing the C+F portion of the bar.

I think you'll be fine when you apply, esp if you stick with a 6 month schedule. I'll tell you I have a 3.4 as well, and cracked the t14 already (and hoping for some more!). Keep your t25 connection as a safety, but if you do well on LSAT (154 isnt bad without ever having seen the exam), you wont need it.

Excel

Postby Excel » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:56 pm

will do. since we're on the subject, does the prestige of ones undergrad institution make a big difference?

I.E. does a 3.2 at a top 40 school get in over a 3.5 at a top 80 school, ect?

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:02 pm

Excel wrote:will do. since we're on the subject, does the prestige of ones undergrad institution make a big difference?

Dont think it matters much. Some schools prefer more prestigious UGs minimally (Chicago, Penn come to mind), though it in your example, the 3.5 wins every time.

glitched

Postby glitched » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:02 pm

Excel wrote:will do. since we're on the subject, does the prestige of ones undergrad institution make a big difference?

No. but a 3.8 at a top 10 university will get in over a 3.8 at a top 80.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:08 pm

leeronalda wrote:

No. but a 3.8 at a top 10 university will get in over a 3.8 at a top 80.

Yes that might be right. But in Excel's examples, the 3.5 wins every time.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”