Using connections to get into a law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Excel

Using connections to get into a law school

Postby Excel » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:14 pm

Just out of curiosity...what do folks think about the effectiveness of using connections to get into a law school? Im not talking about the typical connection you hear about, like someone you know works in the admissions office or something.

I have a relative-not immediate, but not far (not like 3rd cousins uncle or something) who was on the board at a college for several decades, and has made many contributions to the under graduate school (donates over 1 million a year to them, has a Dorm building named after him, ect). As he is now older, he no longer is on the board, but still donates enormous sums of money to the undergraduate school, and I am sure has plenty of friends in the area. His family essentially offered to get me into the school for my undergrad program, but I felt the work would be too much at the time. I dont want to get specific about the schools but its a top 25 program. ATM, without any LSAT tests, I would say I would be slightly below the "norm" application wise. Bit of a late bloomer, and I dont want to go there if I feel I am at an intellectual disadvantage, so to speak.

Im slated to graduate in spring 2012, and plan to be abroad this spring, so I am trying to get a head start on the applications process. In all seriousness, think my connection could help get me in? Thoughts on connections in general?

sperry

Re: Using connections to get into a law school

Postby sperry » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:20 am

Excel wrote:Just out of curiosity...what do folks think about the effectiveness of using connections to get into a law school? Im not talking about the typical connection you hear about, like someone you know works in the admissions office or something.

I have a relative-not immediate, but not far (not like 3rd cousins uncle or something) who was on the board at a college for several decades, and has made many contributions to the under graduate school (donates over 1 million a year to them, has a Dorm building named after him, ect). As he is now older, he no longer is on the board, but still donates enormous sums of money to the undergraduate school, and I am sure has plenty of friends in the area. His family essentially offered to get me into the school for my undergrad program, but I felt the work would be too much at the time. I dont want to get specific about the schools but its a top 25 program. ATM, without any LSAT tests, I would say I would be slightly below the "norm" application wise. Bit of a late bloomer, and I dont want to go there if I feel I am at an intellectual disadvantage, so to speak.

Im slated to graduate in spring 2012, and plan to be abroad this spring, so I am trying to get a head start on the applications process. In all seriousness, think my connection could help get me in? Thoughts on connections in general?

If your connection is donating over a million a year to them, if he really wants to get you in, I'm sure he can.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:34 am

I think you missed your chance.

mst

Postby mst » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:35 am

Just be sure that's the school you want to go to. It would be in bad taste to ask for that help and then decide it's not the right fit. Just because its in the top 25 doesn't make it the best choice.

Sounds like this guy is one of those serious people who can make things happen. How you're gonna fit in at the school as a transplant is anybody's guess. If you're numbers are just hugging the standard numbers of the school, it won't make a difference... nobody gives a shit in real life between a 165 and a 162. That's about 3 weeks of intense LSAT studying. But if your scoring around 150 and have a bleh GPA and an uninspiring resume/track record, you might feel out of place among the hoards of over-achievers.

Honestly, I don't like connections. I think they're a complete shit-way to get into a school, and I think using them speaks negatively about ones character. But many many people feel differently. Regardless, in this economy, the wise move is probably to throw such sentiment out the window and pull the trigger if its a school you can see yourself at and that you can afford given the employment opportunities in the case you dont make the top x% that get solid jobs...

Good luck.

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:36 am

How about you do it the old fashioned way and use your GPA and LSAT.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:37 am

TheOcho wrote:How about you do it the old fashioned way and use your GPA and LSAT.

Like a sucker? What do you take the OP for?!

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:39 am

ResolutePear wrote:
TheOcho wrote:How about you do it the old fashioned way and use your GPA and LSAT.

Like a sucker? What do you take the OP for?!

Haha. I'm not gonna take the bait.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:57 am

Haha, I'm sure there is going to be a ton of jealousy and hate in this thread soon but, if you are really tight with someone who donates millions of dollars to a school and his a building named after him - I think you're in. Barring a 1.0 GPA, 150 LSAT, crim record.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:00 am

Someone with a spare million each year possibly had to work hard to earn it. If that's the case, there's always the risk they might tell you to work hard and get in on merit.

You don't indicate your target school's rank. Hopefully it's a good one, as you might get admitted, but be expected to pay sticker.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:28 am

By all means, use your connection, but as somebody mentioned before, make sure you are willing to go if you do get in and that you would be willing to get in. People use connections all the time, and there is nothing wrong with it IMO. Enjoy BU!

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:45 am

If you and I become really good friends, do you think your uncle could help me out as well? Roomies! lol

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:56 am

mst wrote:Just be sure that's the school you want to go to. It would be in bad taste to ask for that help and then decide it's not the right fit. Just because its in the top 25 doesn't make it the best choice.

Sounds like this guy is one of those serious people who can make things happen. How you're gonna fit in at the school as a transplant is anybody's guess. If you're numbers are just hugging the standard numbers of the school, it won't make a difference... nobody gives a shit in real life between a 165 and a 162. That's about 3 weeks of intense LSAT studying. But if your scoring around 150 and have a bleh GPA and an uninspiring resume/track record, you might feel out of place among the hoards of over-achievers.

Honestly, I don't like connections. I think they're a complete shit-way to get into a school, and I think using them speaks negatively about ones character. But many many people feel differently. Regardless, in this economy, the wise move is probably to throw such sentiment out the window and pull the trigger if its a school you can see yourself at and that you can afford given the employment opportunities in the case you dont make the top x% that get solid jobs...

Good luck.

lolroflstfu. I mean really? This economy or no, if you have connections, USE THEM. I mean really? Like really? I mean... really??

The only people who say they don't like connections are people that don't have them. Plus, I know you think it makes you sound all full of integrity and what not, but unless you have them and are not using them, its not impressive.

p.s.: In this economy or any other, if you had the connection to get into YHS, you would do it. Don't lie.

P.p.s.: I like that you decide because of this economy he should probably just *sigh* use the connections. Good to know your morals are for sale.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:21 am

My initial reaction is would they care? If we are talking about T14 school, do you think the director of admissions will take someone who is not within their numbers, and might lower their rankings?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:29 am

Miracle wrote:My initial reaction is would they care? If we are talking about T14 school, do you think the director of admissions will take someone who is not within their numbers, and might lower their rankings?

IDk 1,000,000 probably helps the rankings more than 1 person below the medians (if for nothing else then for scholarships for people above the medians). It might matter if the law school actually gets any of that money that the connection donates but maybe it wont if he gets the president of the university to make a call.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:46 am

Miracle wrote:My initial reaction is would they care? If we are talking about T14 school, do you think the director of admissions will take someone who is not within their numbers, and might lower their rankings?

there is one case of a normal white male getting into Yale with a 158 because of massive family connections.

lebroniousjames

Postby lebroniousjames » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:52 am

-
Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oban

Postby Oban » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:12 pm

It wont help if you are far below their numbers. I tried to do the same thing, and they told me i could get in only as a transfer because it wound not effect the USNWR rankings, so if you really want to go there. Spin that angle

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Oban wrote:It wont help if you are far below their numbers. I tried to do the same thing, and they told me i could get in only as a transfer because it wound not effect the USNWR rankings, so if you really want to go there. Spin that angle

How did you try? What school did you try to get in, and what were your numbers?

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Sounds like jealousy to me. Do the fiscally reasonable, and smart move regardless of your GPA/ LSAT: take risks, utilize every opportunity for gains, and expect rewards. Pull every string you can from this point on in your life. Use your cousins-uncles-friends-boyfriend (or third cousin) or whatever.

Thats just my 2 cents

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:26 pm

jdhakert wrote:

Sounds like jealousy to me. Do the fiscally reasonable, and smart move regardless of your GPA/ LSAT: take risks, utilize every opportunity for gains, and expect rewards. Pull every string you can from this point on in your life. Use your cousins-uncles-friends-boyfriend (or third cousin) or whatever.

Thats just my 2 cents

I wouldn't called it jealousy but I don't believe it will help him/her that much if his/her numbers are way below their medians. I would think they only way connections can really help is if someone is a splitter. Lets say has 175 LSAT and 2.7 GPA, and would like to go to UChicago etc.

mst

Postby mst » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:28 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
mst wrote:Just be sure that's the school you want to go to. It would be in bad taste to ask for that help and then decide it's not the right fit. Just because its in the top 25 doesn't make it the best choice.

Good luck.

lolroflstfu. I mean really? This economy or no, if you have connections, USE THEM. I mean really? Like really? I mean... really??

The only people who say they don't like connections are people that don't have them. Plus, I know you think it makes you sound all full of integrity and what not, but unless you have them and are not using them, its not impressive.

p.s.: In this economy or any other, if you had the connection to get into YHS, you would do it. Don't lie.

P.p.s.: I like that you decide because of this economy he should probably just *sigh* use the connections. Good to know your morals are for sale.

He asked how we feel about them. I was honest and said I think using them is not a great method. If you're going to go through your life on somebody else's merits what's the point of living? Seriously? But yes, I'm not some ridiculous idealist either and can recognize that for many people that's not important: like the OP. As I stated "many many people would disagree." So if he's on the edge, in this economy, it's probably not wise to take the idealist route because it's pretty evident he's not an idealist, and that most of the country isn't either, and that he would come to regret the decision. I just want what's best for the Op.

And I do have connections into certain schools. I don't know why I would have to be ashamed if I didn't, but apparently I would have to stop giving advice if I wasn't part of some super-cool connection club? I'm not using them because I did a shit-ton better than their medians and getting in on my own merit would not be an issue should I have chosen to apply there. Would I use them at HYS? Who knows? Probably not considering I'm going to a school ranked 1 or 2 spots behind them, and I would be much more proud to say I earned a t6 than to say I weaseled my way into HYS...

Finally, I get that you disagree with me. Awesome. More opinions for the op to choose from. But this "rofllolcopter" shit is just a bit disrespectful. This isn't xoxo and nobody wants to deal with that kind of elitist bullshit here... that's why people come posting here for help instead of flocking to xoxo. Hope you feel cool either way though.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:18 pm

mst wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

Good luck.

He asked how we feel about them. I was honest and said I think using them is not a great method. If you're going to go through your life on somebody else's merits what's the point of living? Seriously? But yes, I'm not some ridiculous idealist either and can recognize that for many people that's not important: like the OP. As I stated "many many people would disagree." So if he's on the edge, in this economy, it's probably not wise to take the idealist route because it's pretty evident he's not an idealist, and that most of the country isn't either, and that he would come to regret the decision. I just want what's best for the Op.

And I do have connections into certain schools. I don't know why I would have to be ashamed if I didn't, but apparently I would have to stop giving advice if I wasn't part of some super-cool connection club? I'm not using them because I did a shit-ton better than their medians and getting in on my own merit would not be an issue should I have chosen to apply there. Would I use them at HYS? Who knows? Probably not considering I'm going to a school ranked 1 or 2 spots behind them, and I would be much more proud to say I earned a t6 than to say I weaseled my way into HYS...

Finally, I get that you disagree with me. Awesome. More opinions for the op to choose from. But this "rofllolcopter" shit is just a bit disrespectful. This isn't xoxo and nobody wants to deal with that kind of elitist bullshit here... that's why people come posting here for help instead of flocking to xoxo. Hope you feel cool either way though.

tl;dr

Oban

Postby Oban » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Miracle wrote:
Oban wrote:It wont help if you are far below their numbers. I tried to do the same thing, and they told me i could get in only as a transfer because it wound not effect the USNWR rankings, so if you really want to go there. Spin that angle

How did you try? What school did you try to get in, and what were your numbers?

Close friend of the family heard I was applying to law school, found out I wanted to go a school they had absurdly strong connections to and promised to pull some strings. The school was a T14, if i needed to connections to get into a TTT that would be pretty sad. However my numbers are not T14 material. Said friend then sad they talked to a admin dean and said my numbers were damaging to USNWR data, so i would have to reapply as a transfer. That said, if i get good grades at my currently school, i probably wont, OCI propects wouldn't be worth it the increased debt.

Excel

Postby Excel » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:22 pm

I feel the "make sure its right" stuff. Im aware of that, as well as the fact that Id be surrounded by folks with likely more impressive resume than mine. W/e. Im a strict type a personality; anyone worth their salt in the business world will you tell you often times, personal characteristics are more useful than ones education or even experiences. I'll do well wherever I go, of that I am certain. Atm I may be more style than substance, so to speak, but I can acquire substance.

I will say, if anything, using a connection to help get in will only increase my ethic. I'm not going to have strings pulled and a be a flop.

That is how every other school I will be applying to will be. I respect people who get into top schools on their merits, bravo.

bartleby wrote:Haha, I'm sure there is going to be a ton of jealousy and hate in this thread soon but, if you are really tight with someone who donates millions of dollars to a school and his a building named after him - I think you're in. Barring a 1.0 GPA, 150 LSAT, crim record.

My current GPA is a 3.4 (though within major its a 3.8-does "within major" count for anything? I'm pol sci and have seen that requested in some places but not others). I have taken 1 prac LSAT and scored a 154, but I didnt study a wink. I actually do have a criminal record...minor (standing next to a minor) in possession of alcohol. In my state, they arrest you for that, even if its not open/in your possession. I was wondering if that would even be worth mentioning to schools in state who dont care, i.e. if I told the folks at Texas how I was arrested, I would bet resounding laughter would follow.

"but at what point did you drive?"
"i didnt"
"well at what point were drinking it"
"i didnt"
"well at what point were you holding it?"
"i wasnt"
"what?"

albanach wrote:Someone with a spare million each year possibly had to work hard to earn it. If that's the case, there's always the risk they might tell you to work hard and get in on merit.

You don't indicate your target school's rank. Hopefully it's a good one, as you might get admitted, but be expected to pay sticker.

Its a top 30 school. Out of top 14. I have never met this man myself, though I have met some of his children (all went there) and they're fine. I'd be fairly surprised if he said no. Even if he did, I'd just talk to his wife. ;)

I mean, if the convo was:
"hey, wanna get me into the law program?"
"well, whats your gpa"
"2.5"
"well...lsat?"
"145"
"...."

I wouldnt be surprised if he said no :lol: . But I figure if I am a bubble candidate, hopefully he can make it happen.
Last edited by Excel on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:29 pm

So, you have good GPA, poor LSAT? I think you should just study for you LSAT-re take, and apply on your own!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”