surprise termination - what should I do

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
binarycode
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 pm

surprise termination - what should I do

Postby binarycode » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:00 pm

At one of my jobs, my employer had personal issues with me 2 weeks before he "fired me". I had already told him about my plan to leave if he couldn't raise my salary. 2 weeks later, he rushed through the review process (for salary raise) and asked me to leave. After he calmed down, he said that the real reason to ask me to resign is that the company is downsizing. I really quit but it was his habit to fire people he knew would quit anyway. He didn't have much any other reasonable excuse. We even agreed that he would tell me co-workers that I resigned (which really happened.) He offered me to move to another branch of the same company but I disagreed because of schedule conflict and the low salary offered and I left.

I have applied to 5 law schools so far and none of them asked about reason to leave on the employment section. But, on the common application form I entered "schedule conflict" as the reason to leave (the real reason.) After all the talk about the background check here on TLS, I panicked and called the head office of that company only to find out that my record indicates that I have been dismissed! I saw this coming because my employer was such an ass who even sexually (and strongly) harassed girls on a regular basis and he got away with it because none of them wanted to lose her job.

I know that if I email law schools about this, it would hurt my chances more than it could have, had I made a note of my termination on the common application before sending them to law schools. I am also worried about being allowed to write the bar exam if there is a discrepancy between my law school application and what my distrustful previous employer might tell the bar. What should I do?

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby cartercl » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:04 pm

Is disputing it with HR out of the question?

binarycode
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby binarycode » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:12 pm

cartercl wrote:Is disputing it with HR out of the question?


I will try but it will probably go under review and my employer will probably decide again. Not being pessimistic but is there any other solution to this?

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby dresden doll » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:14 pm

I wonder who was it that first spread the 'I made a forgivable mistake; will the bar let me become a lawyer?' panic.

Instances of bar denial are rare and confined to cases where applicants present truly egregious records. Worst case scenario, they'll hold your app while they go dig for more skeletons in the closet. Reasonable case scenario: it never even gets to be an issue. Former felons practice law, for God's sakes.

Just contact LSs and explain the situation. Apologize for not attaching the addendum immediately. They'll forgive, particularly if you're above their medians. Once you've made them aware of the situation, you'll have exactly zero chance of running into issues with the bar. If simple inconsistency were sufficient to cause such grave issues, some LSs wouldn't give entering 1Ls time to disclose what they'd missed out on disclosing during orientation (I forget who offers that chance, but I know it's a practice at some schools).

binarycode
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby binarycode » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:28 pm

dresden doll wrote:I wonder who was it that first spread the 'I made a forgivable mistake; will the bar let me become a lawyer?' panic.

Instances of bar denial are rare and confined to cases where applicants present truly egregious records. Worst case scenario, they'll hold your app while they go dig for more skeletons in the closet. Reasonable case scenario: it never even gets to be an issue. Former felons practice law, for God's sakes.

Just contact LSs and explain the situation. Apologize for not attaching the addendum immediately. They'll forgive, particularly if you're above their medians. Once you've made them aware of the situation, you'll have exactly zero chance of running into issues with the bar. If simple inconsistency were sufficient to cause such grave issues, some LSs wouldn't give entering 1Ls time to disclose what they'd missed out on disclosing during orientation (I forget who offers that chance, but I know it's a practice at some schools).


Thank you! This is my only issue. I didn't put any other misleading information on the application. Your explanation really makes sense. I just don't want to study for 3 years and be banned from practicing law! Looks like I have been a pessimist (due to my lack of information and my personality.)

Saltqjibo
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby Saltqjibo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:31 pm

Dude, the common application form is not sent to law schools. It is just meant to autofill the school specific apps (i didn't fill it out, so i hope i'm right on this - 99% sure). From the way I'm reading it, I don't think you have a problem, just change it for any apps that do ask.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:35 pm

i dont see how this could possibly be a law school OR future bar issue...you say you resigned, he said you were dismissed...who cares? its not like you were dismissed for illegal criminal activity, which you are now lying about

im just sad to hear about your boss being able to keep a job if he's such a horrible person (note: strong sexual harassment)

binarycode
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby binarycode » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:44 pm

Saltqjibo wrote:Dude, the common application form is not sent to law schools. It is just meant to autofill the school specific apps (i didn't fill it out, so i hope i'm right on this - 99% sure). From the way I'm reading it, I don't think you have a problem, just change it for any apps that do ask.


That's awesome news. I hope the bar association doesn't have access to the copy of the common application that I have already sent.

binarycode
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby binarycode » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:50 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:i dont see how this could possibly be a law school OR future bar issue...you say you resigned, he said you were dismissed...who cares? its not like you were dismissed for illegal criminal activity, which you are now lying about

im just sad to hear about your boss being able to keep a job if he's such a horrible person (note: strong sexual harassment)


Hopefully they will take my word as the truth and I hope they don't care about this disagreement.

Yea, the guy is absolutely fearless. I was really close to the other employees and they used to tell me really shameful things that my boss had talked to them about. I really felt bad for the girls there as some of them even had families to feed and couldn't afford being unemployed.

Saltqjibo
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby Saltqjibo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:53 pm

As far as I understand, the common app is never "sent" anywhere, you can go back and edit it now can't you?

Anonymous Loser
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby Anonymous Loser » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:59 pm

dresden doll wrote:I wonder who was it that first spread the 'I made a forgivable mistake; will the bar let me become a lawyer?' panic.

Instances of bar denial are rare and confined to cases where applicants present truly egregious records. Worst case scenario, they'll hold your app while they go dig for more skeletons in the closet. Reasonable case scenario: it never even gets to be an issue. Former felons practice law, for God's sakes.


Seriously. Simply casually flipping through the pages of a professional responsibility casebook reveals that you really have to fuck something up in order to be denied admission to the bar. Violent felons, cheating law students, and unabashed bigots are all routinely admitted to practice. Hell, most ethics casebooks feature a case involving a 3L who embezzled nearly $20,000 from his law school's student bar association and later cheated on the bar examination, but despite all this he was readily sworn in as a member of the bar.

And for God's sake, no one but you can see the common information form! Even if getting fired was an issue, you haven't mislead anyone about the nature of your termination, because no one has asked you for that information.

binarycode
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby binarycode » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:02 am

Saltqjibo wrote:As far as I understand, the common app is never "sent" anywhere, you can go back and edit it now can't you?


I can go back and edit it. Sounds like "it will not be send" is TCR so far. I will be applying to few more school with the new info on my common application to be sure.

binarycode
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby binarycode » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:11 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:
dresden doll wrote: Instances of bar denial are rare and confined to cases where applicants present truly egregious records. Worst case scenario, they'll hold your app while they go dig for more skeletons in the closet. Reasonable case scenario: it never even gets to be an issue. Former felons practice law, for God's sakes.


Seriously. Simply casually flipping through the pages of a professional responsibility casebook reveals that you really have to fuck something up in order to be denied admission to the bar. Violent felons, cheating law students, and unabashed bigots are all routinely admitted to practice. Hell, most ethics casebooks feature a case involving a 3L who embezzled nearly $20,000 from his law school's student bar association and later cheated on the bar examination, but despite all this he was readily sworn in as a member of the bar.

And for God's sake, no one but you can see the common information form! Even if getting fired was an issue, you haven't mislead anyone about the nature of your termination, because no one has asked you for that information.


I certainly fooled myself sweating over common application form. It's really strange how the LSAC website shows you a "common application form" included in the material being sent to law schools while no body else will look at them but me! I think that's a good way of getting the truth from applicants!

Saltqjibo
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: surprise termination - what should I do

Postby Saltqjibo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:28 am

its sort of misleading because its the button right next to the real form. But if you read the notice or preview before you submit, you will notice that it explicitly shows/states everything that will be sent, and the common app is not among them.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BrainsyK, Earlskies, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests