U Miami Job Placement in Central/North Florida Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ballboy899

New

U Miami Job Placement in Central/North Florida

Post by ballboy899 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:45 pm

So Miami is a school that I'm considering for next year and I just had a couple of questions that maybe people who've gone/are going there can help answer. I was wondering what job prospects were like from Miami in places such as, say, Jacksonville and Orlando. I know the ideal school to go to in Florida is UF, but I don't have the numbers to get in there.
And I know how much the Miami job statistics are skewed with only 30% reporting and all of that..I just am curious as to how they place in Central and Northern Florida.

Cmart050

New

Re: U Miami Job Placement in Central/North Florida

Post by Cmart050 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:48 pm

What is your LSAT? If you can get into UM you should have a decent shot at FSU. I hear from judges and attorneys alike that UM is going downhill fast, and FSU is not only cheaper but should set you up better for north and central Florida.

Edit: Not sure why I put lawyers and attorneys there. They seriously let anyone into law school these days!
Last edited by Cmart050 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ballboy899

New

Post by ballboy899 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Cmart050 wrote:What is your LSAT? If you can get into UM you should have a decent shot at FSU. I hear from lawyers and attorneys alike that UM is going downhill fast, and FSU is not only cheaper but should set you up better for north and central Florida.
158. I applied to FSU as well but I'm not too sure if I'll get in. I guess the reason why I asked about UM is that I've already gotten in there but would prefer to be in those areas of Florida I described before. If I get into FSU that's where I'll probably end up instead of UM.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:03 pm

ballboy899 wrote:
Cmart050 wrote:What is your LSAT? If you can get into UM you should have a decent shot at FSU. I hear from lawyers and attorneys alike that UM is going downhill fast, and FSU is not only cheaper but should set you up better for north and central Florida.
158. I applied to FSU as well but I'm not too sure if I'll get in. I guess the reason why I asked about UM is that I've already gotten in there but would prefer to be in those areas of Florida I described before. If I get into FSU that's where I'll probably end up instead of UM.
That is the better idea. If you want North/Central Florida, the two state schools [FSU or UF] are the best options outside of Emory or Vandy (I know FIU and FAMU are public.... but stay away from them.)

Miami is a bad idea. Barring URM status you're not getting money with that LSAT. This means you'll have high tuition, higher COL than Gainesville/Tallahassee, and limited prospects.

If a) FSU (or UF, if you applied) don't take you and b) you would absolutely prefer North/Central Florida, then maybe the best option would be to try and retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. A few more points would get you a) a cheaper education, b) a better ranked school, and c) better placement in the area you want.

Cmart050

New

Post by Cmart050 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Check FSU's admit chart. Anything over a 160 pretty much guarantees you a spot. I wouldn't want to take the test again, but those 2 points make a HUGE difference. Once again, look at the costs. Not to mention FSU is a better school and its proximity to the capital.

Disclaimer, I am in all likelihood attending FSU unless Emory or UF throw the house at me. So much for objectivity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ballboy899

New

Post by ballboy899 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:09 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
ballboy899 wrote:
That is the better idea. If you want North/Central Florida, the two state schools [FSU or UF] are the best options outside of Emory or Vandy (I know FIU and FAMU are public.... but stay away from them.)

Miami is a bad idea. Barring URM status you're not getting money with that LSAT. This means you'll have high tuition, higher COL than Gainesville/Tallahassee, and limited prospects.

If a) FSU (or UF, if you applied) don't take you and b) you would absolutely prefer North/Central Florida, then maybe the best option would be to try and retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. A few more points would get you a) a cheaper education, b) a better ranked school, and c) better placement in the area you want.

Definitely. I wouldn't mind South Florida, but would just prefer central/north. Just wondering though if anyone had any idea on how Miami placed in central/north Florida. I know its not as good as UF and FSU, but do they have much, if any, reach there?

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:21 am

ballboy899 wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
ballboy899 wrote:

Definitely. I wouldn't mind South Florida, but would just prefer central/north. Just wondering though if anyone had any idea on how Miami placed in central/north Florida. I know its not as good as UF and FSU, but do they have much, if any, reach there?
Hard, empirical, trustworthy (or even school produced) evidence? Nope. A quick glance at UM's "Sample Employers" list (not that I would trust this) but MOST South of the I-4 corridor: Fort Myers-Sarasota-Tampa-WPB-Boca-Ft Lauderhell-Miami and a handful of Tallahassee/NY/NJ/Fed government employment outliers. Anecdotally, most people I know in government and private practice in North Florida who didn't a) move from Georgia/Alabama 20+ years ago or b) go to Emory/Vandy went to FSU and UF.

Of course, you have the ties, so that might help.... But I personally wouldn't want to take a 200k gamble of not being able to work where I want (geographically).

Disclaimer (if it wasn't evident from the handle): FSU UG, out-of-state LS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”